Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 09 August 2003, 18:57   #1
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
The return of the Jolly Sailor

What a great day out in the sun!

Well done to Alan, Clive, Jan and Egbert for another epic feat. Big thanks to Kevin "Aging Youth" for organising everything so well (and arranging a lift for me on the gin palace!).

It was great to see so many RIBs out there -- I counted about 20 but there may have been a few more. I was going to try to cadge rides on as many boats as possible, starting with Topaz (thanks!), but once Michael Comninos handed me 400hp of Scorpion to play with I sort of forgot to change boats after that

I've put a few photos in the gallery, but my camera battery ran out before we made it back. Anyone else got any pics of the boats at Gunwharf?

John
Old 09 August 2003, 20:07   #2

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Hello John,

Good to meet you at last!

Thanks to Richard B. for taking my daughter (Katherine) and I with him on Blue Ice. Fantastic trip Richard, what a day !!! Thank you again - It was Great!

John, we did take a few pictures today, including some in Portsmouth. I shall have them processed on Tuesday and will put them on the site later in the week.

Best wishes to you all, especially to the crew of the Jolly Sailor!

Chris.
Old 09 August 2003, 21:42   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
That certainly counted as a "Grand Day Out"

What a pleasure to meet up with so many others, and of course to welcome the "Jolly Sailor" crew back. What I didn't get chance to do was say CONGRATULATIONS to Alan and the guys. Great achievement.

Chris and Katherine, you were very welcome. Pleasure to have you on board.

Sorry no pics from me

Hope there won't be too many thick heads in the morning
Old 09 August 2003, 21:53   #4

Town: Dunedin
Boat name: Zebedee
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15 2 stroke
Fantastic day! Congratulations to Alan and your crew - you are amazing. Great to be able to share in your return.

Really good to meet some of you rib netters and others and put faces to names.

Quite a challenge trying to keep up with your little "bimble" along the Solent in that chop in my little 4.8m - but we made it and my crew mate was still on board at the end - just!. (Perhaps I should get a bigger boat.)

cheers,
Simon
Old 13 August 2003, 22:19   #5

Town: Devon, Alberta
pictures

Nice pictures! Does anyone have any from the wharf? I'm sure Dad was surprised to see Roma there! I trust everyone is over their hangovers by now - I should hope so! Take care!
Old 13 August 2003, 22:37   #6

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Simon, nice to meet up with a fellow 4.8 owner.

I was impressed with your crewmate's dexterity in hanging on during the entrance to Pompy - at one time I thought he was getting out for a walk

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2003, 08:51   #7

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Paradiddle encounters The Jolly Sailor

Hi from Mrs. Jackeen (erstwhile forum lurker since hubby was bitten by the rib bug),

We did try to get out for the Jolly Sailor's return...got down near Yarmouth and saw the snaking wakes right across the Solent. Hubby did a (recently perfected - courtesy Aquapower!) high speed turn and we headed back thro the mess and chop of Cowes week while I hung on; Paradiddle ploughed ahead with Jackeen at the helm (steering wheel? - I get confused about these things)...and I made a mental note of where the flares, radio etc. were...
Traitorously I then suggested breakfast at Cowes as we weren't going to get anywhere near. Later in the afternoon we pootled around Pompey looking for the famous boat...no luck.
Yesterday we took some relatives to Gunwharf and were told to moor next to ...The Jolly Sailor!!!
And I had my camera...so I will post a photo on the gallery as soon as I sort out the res. etc (I'm a technophobe..Jackeen will help). Huge apologies in advance as Jackeen dared to plonk his size 11 s on board for the photo...

Regards to all...especially long-suffering other halves.

the missus

ps - sincere condolences to Pete 7 ; we hope to see you tomorrow
Old 16 August 2003, 10:15   #8

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Congratulations Ribnet

Good Morning Ribnet,

It is my turn to say a very big thank you to all of you who made this day one to remember.

At Portsmouth Harbour Entrance I counted 27 Ribs plus some hard boats totaling 33 in all entering the small boat channel on mass and in very tight formation.

I have some special thank you's, here goes J.K. for your assistance with Website. QHM for letting us all into his harbour. Paul Webb for my letting me lose with his Gin Palace and for all the liquid refreshments Hic! Pete7 who after a briliant day out with the camera crew almost gave blood, hope she is fixed soon pete. The Boys from the Field Gun Crew who towed Jolly Sailor 3 miles in less than an hour!!!! Bloody well done guys

Last but not least, to Alan & the Team for giving me the oppotunity to become involved in what is truely a historic event. Whatever paper you read.

Best wishes to you all
Old 16 August 2003, 13:45   #9

Hi Kevon. You deserve a special thank-you as well for organizing the party. Although I wasn't there, it is obvious your efforts were appreciated.
Old 16 August 2003, 14:12   #10

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Well done, Kevin, very well organised and a brilliant day out! We could do with more weather like that! And so could Alan and the crew last year! I'm very glad you left the rough stuff in the Atlantic, Alan!

I wonder how many boats that other bloke had waiting when he got into Scotland the other day?

Mike C
Old 16 August 2003, 14:54   #11

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
And now it's my turn

Without the help and support of you all this event would not have happened. As some of you are aware I did not want to do this trip because of what happened last year with Steve. Three things drove me on to do it. The good work that we knew we could do for both of the charities. To go before Bear Grylls so that we could tell you in advance what the ice conditions where like (this way he could not lie about it) and most important to find out if I still had what was ever inside me before.

I will say that what ever drove me on before is not there now. I now know what fear is and it is not nice at all!

The boat is for sale but if anyone wants to come out for a spin, please do not hesitate to contact me. I feel that she is as much a part of you all as it is the crews.

Thanks to everyone, (especialy Kevin)

With the very best of regards

Alan P
Old 16 August 2003, 15:19   #12

To Mike C

regarding Mike C's previous posting about the other bloke:

A bit of tongue in cheek of course...
According to BBC, there were 250 000 people on hand to see Bear Grylls and his crew make it to port in Scotland. Bear himself pulled the boat out of the water by hand and carried it on his shoulders to the dry dock for inspection. His next endeavor is reported to be to scuba dive down to the Titanic and host a new T.V. reality show on board. A name for his show has not been decided. Any suggestions?

.... maybe BBC will pay me to write their articles. This one has about as much truth as the one they printed yesterday.
Old 16 August 2003, 15:39   #13

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Priddy
And now it's my turn

The boat is for sale but if anyone wants to come out for a spin, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Alan P
On the provisor that it comes to Guernsey before the registration docs change hands

Dom
Old 16 August 2003, 17:06   #14

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Quote:
The boat is for sale but if anyone wants to come out for a spin, please do not hesitate to contact me. I feel that she is as much a part of you all as it is the crews.
Maybe the Maritime Museum may buy her, after all, after what you and the boat has achieved, it must be worth something to them.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote