Old 17 April 2013, 16:03   #1

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
The number of fake adverts!

just trawling through gumtree and there are so many what I believe to be false adverts I will list a few:
RIB TENDER ZODIAC YACHTLINE 350 JET BOAT ON TRAILER in Exeter | Boats, Kayaks & Jet Skis for Sale | Gumtree.com
Avon SR 4.5 m Searider Rib Inflatable Boat in Cheshire | Boats, Kayaks & Jet Skis for Sale | Gumtree.com
XS-550 Deluxe RIB with Mercury Optimax 90HP in Nottingham City Centre | Boats, Kayaks & Jet Skis for Sale | Gumtree.com
AVON SEA RIDER COMMERCIAL RIB 5.6M or 18.5FT MARINER 60 in Essex | Boats, Kayaks & Jet Skis for Sale | Gumtree.com

all on the first page!
Old 17 April 2013, 16:04   #2

The number of fake adverts!

just trawling through gumtree and there are so many what I believe to be false adverts I will list a few:
RIB TENDER ZODIAC YACHTLINE 350 JET BOAT ON TRAILER in Exeter | Boats, Kayaks & Jet Skis for Sale | Gumtree.com
Avon SR 4.5 m Searider Rib Inflatable Boat in Cheshire | Boats, Kayaks & Jet Skis for Sale | Gumtree.com
XS-550 Deluxe RIB with Mercury Optimax 90HP in Nottingham City Centre | Boats, Kayaks & Jet Skis for Sale | Gumtree.com
AVON SEA RIDER COMMERCIAL RIB 5.6M or 18.5FT MARINER 60 in Essex | Boats, Kayaks & Jet Skis for Sale | Gumtree.com

How can you expect people to not be suspicious about a 5.6m rib with a 60hp low hours engine 2k!

all on the first page!
Old 17 April 2013, 16:23   #3

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Agree, saw this on Boatshop24, I mean this boat for under 10k is too good to be true AVON ADVENTURE 470 For Sale - GBP 9,750 - Chichester, UK - Boatshop24.co.uk
Old 17 April 2013, 16:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Agree, saw this on Boatshop24, I mean this boat for under 10k is too good to be true AVON ADVENTURE 470 For Sale - GBP 9,750 - Chichester, UK - Boatshop24.co.uk
I would say it is a little over priced
Old 17 April 2013, 16:36   #5

Agree, saw this on Apolloduck, I mean this boat for under 16k is too good to be true Ribtec 585 Boats for sale UK, Ribtec Used boat sales, Ribtec Inflatable Boats For Sale Ribtec RIBTEC 585 with Mercury 115 - Apollo Duck
Old 17 April 2013, 16:40   #6

Town: Plymouth
Quote:
Maybe not so wise to suggest your advert is a "too good to be true" on a fake listing post - if you want to sell it, however flippant the post it might cause confusion for any interested buyer

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007
Old 17 April 2013, 17:04   #7

Quote:
THIS IS NOT FAKE

Sorted
Old 17 April 2013, 17:09   #8

Cool.

Interested buyers are a rare breed!! Now the sun's out I want to play instead of trying to buy/sell the thing and resided my self to the fact that I may have to wait a while to upgrade.
Old 27 April 2013, 07:40   #9

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
In my mind there's a difference between an ad suggesting a price that's either high or low - and an ad being FAKE.

Why do you think the ads mentioned are fake ?

The guide price different people have on the same boat will differ - and especially depending on whether you're buying or selling. AT the end of the day - it's up to the buyer and seller to agree on a 'fair' price. And I suppose we do have to help innocent buyers from being ripped off - but at the same time we should be careful not to spoil a sale for anybody either - and be careful of people doing so out of malice...

HOWEVER - its a completely different issue to suggest an ad is FAKE - or to post a FAKE ad. I'm an interested buyer - henryfeston - why do you think the ads are fake ?

I have no involvement with the posting of the ads, but I am looking out for a 6 - 7.5 m second hand rib - so any pointers to identifying a fake ad would be good.

In response to boats&outboards point - I fully agree. I saw thomas's post for the Ribtec - which looks like a very nice boat - although I think we would have to find a 'fair' price - but I'm put off by his manipulation here - whether intended in jest or not.
Old 27 April 2013, 08:37   #10
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc0021 View Post
In my mind there's a difference between an ad suggesting a price that's either high or low - and an ad being FAKE.

The guide price different people have on the same boat will differ - and especially depending on whether you're buying or selling. AT the end of the day - it's up to the buyer and seller to agree on a 'fair' price. And I suppose we do have to help innocent buyers from being ripped off - but at the same time we should be careful not to spoil a sale for anybody either - and be careful of people doing so out of malice...

HOWEVER - its a completely different issue to suggest an ad is FAKE - or to post a FAKE ad. I'm an interested buyer - henryfeston - why do you think the ads are fake ?

I have no involvement with the posting of the ads, but I am looking out for a 6 - 7.5 m second hand rib - so any pointers to identifying a fake ad would be good.

In response to boats&outboards point - I fully agree. I saw thomas's post for the Ribtec - which looks like a very nice boat - although I think we would have to find a 'fair' price - but I'm put off by his manipulation here - whether intended in jest or not.
I think some of them are probably fake too, but the SR4 might be genuine.

Too cheap. WAAAY too cheap.

The usual immediate 'tell' is if the 'seller' offers to deliver it sight unseen and you pay via escrow/ebay or the like. The escrow will be fake, there'll be no boat and you'll never hear from them again.

Don't pay for anything you can't physically stand next to.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2013, 08:46   #11

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Gumtree does seem to have its fair share of adverts that have been scammed from else where - it is just an advert site rather than a trading site so buyer beware, as Nos says if you can't hold it don't buy it.

This advert looks right, sounds right, seems way too cheap for an 18 month old boat - I'd not be willing to do anything but turn up at the address, have a cup of tea or use the loo (means he has house access and not selling a boat from some one on holiday) pay a deposit and bank transfer the rest.

Means a littlel bit of an audit trail.

5m R.I.b with 60hp mariner and trailer + many accessories in Devon | Boats, Kayaks & Jet Skis for Sale | Gumtree.com

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2013, 08:55   #12
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Gumtree does seem to have its fair share of adverts that have been scammed from else where - it is just an advert site rather than a trading site so buyer beware, as Nos says if you can't hold it don't buy it.

This advert looks right, sounds right, seems way too cheap for an 18 month old boat - I'd not be willing to do anything but turn up at the address, have a cup of tea or use the loo (means he has house access and not selling a boat from some one on holiday) pay a deposit and bank transfer the rest.

5m R.I.b with 60hp mariner and trailer + many accessories in Devon | Boats, Kayaks & Jet Skis for Sale | Gumtree.com

I think that's genuine. 1998 motor, and it's a cheap nasty Seapro. One of Bill Highwayman's awful Chinese imports. Kerny's (IIRC) fell to bits.

Old 27 April 2013, 08:57   #13

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:

It's only in Tavistock - can't be far from you why don't you pop over?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2013, 09:04   #14

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
It's only in Tavistock - can't be far from you why don't you pop over?
It's not too far, about 30 minutes. I'll can go past Monday if anyone wants me to go take a look

Old 27 April 2013, 09:09   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I think that's genuine. 1998 motor, and it's a cheap nasty Seapro. One of Bill Highwayman's awful Chinese imports. Kerny's (IIRC) fell to bits.
I suspect you're correct, but the process and sentiment stioll stands

Old 27 April 2013, 09:12   #16
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
I suspect you're correct, but the process and sentiment stioll stands

Old 27 April 2013, 09:28   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc0021 View Post

next time you pick up a luxury 3.5m jet rib tender for £1500, call me!
Old 27 April 2013, 10:02   #18

Town: West Midlands
Boat name: Freespirit
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
I saw the xs rib on gum tree, sent an email saying I would like to view and was told viewing was not possible, reported this to gum tree and they sent through a warning email that it was fraudulent, as you all say if it is too good to true it normally is.

There is also an Avon adventurer with a yamaha 4 stroke 115 for £5500, that's on boats and outboards I think or maybe boatshop 24 , be very wary as sent an email and got a scary response that no viewing is possible, boat is buy now. We are lucky to have a forum like this so we can be aware of bad people tricking and running people's lives.
Old 27 April 2013, 12:28   #19

Town: St Andrew's
Boat name: Wee Boaby
Make: Avon searider
Engine: Honda 50 (four)
MMSI: 235907817
The Avon SR4.5 posted is the exact same pictures that was on it in Feb...i did have them saved to my phone till a few weeks ago. i came close to calling it back then, but it was the distance to go collect it that stopped me ??
Old 27 April 2013, 12:41   #20

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Beware Treespirit3 there are a lot of very nice people on here but some of us ,I mean them can extract the urine a little bit.