Old 13 February 2014, 12:08   #1

Town: Hurghada Egypt
Make: Atlantic 21
Length: 6m +
The best first aid kit

I've used the search function and not found any specific recommendations although I did find a nice thread asking what's in your first aid kit.

I want to buy a first aid kit for my boat. I've seen many for sale and they all seem different.

Is there one specifically for boats that you can just buy and it has everything that you need for simple first aid. I carry an O2 kit as I'm possibly diving.

Thanks
Old 13 February 2014, 12:13   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Some ideas here: Marine First Aid Kits - Water Safety Products - Products - Marine Warehouse Ltd
Old 13 February 2014, 13:01   #3
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
DONT BUY AT CAT C KIT! unless you need it for coding.

A first aid kit on a boat - depends on what are you doing, how far from shore? how remote your based.

You be surprised how little you need, for everyday use;

Plasters, Gloves, Faceshield , eyewash (to clean wounds), wipes, medium dressings , a large dressings , duct tape! - your own medicines.

I also carry Imodium, seasickness , painkillers not strictly first aid but very handy!

Kept in a waterproof container or bag.

l might missed some things out ! since on iPhone!

S.
Old 13 February 2014, 13:02   #4

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
A first aid kit on a boat - depends on what are you doing, how far from shore? how remote your based.
You be surprised how little you need, for everyday use;
Kept in a waterproof container or bag.
+ 1
Old 13 February 2014, 13:16   #5

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
+ 1
Yep again horses for courses. Pointless over stocking with stuff you'll never use.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2014, 13:17   #6

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I put my own together - far cheaper.
Key things:
Good sharp scissors, Triangular bandages - can do almost anything with those - large & small wound dressings, crepe bandage, sterri-strips, wound wash, wipes, assorted plasters, surgical / plastic gloves, safety pins, tape.

Radio & back-up comms key part of a first aid plan, as is knowledge of what to do!

I'd say it should be the same kit, in a river, inshore or coastal - an injury's an injury. Remember to check it & top it up if you use something.

Off-shore requirements may be different especially if help is a long way off.
Old 13 February 2014, 14:43   #7

Town: Ebbw Vale, Gwent
Boat name: Seabay
Make: Avon, Bonwitco
Length: 3m +
Engine: 4,25,35 Johnsons
Plus don't forget to check the expiry date of item in your kit. Recently re sat my first aid at work and was made aware of what can happen with time expired dressings etc.
Old 13 February 2014, 14:50   #8
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
We bought one of these -

60P

Its a nice compact kit, in a waterproof case and includes a fairly decent range of stuff that the common man would need in most occasions.

Chris
Old 13 February 2014, 15:21   #9
SPR

I supplied the Medium First Aid Kit to the Mac RIb project free of charge

First Aid Supplies

you can see 3 versions there, alternative buy a FAW Refill and put in container of your choice.

Face masks & TPA's etc will be added to site in next few days, but I can supply most first aid requirements.

S.
Old 13 February 2014, 17:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
I'd say it should be the same kit, in a river, inshore or coastal - an injury's an injury.
Maybe but an injury 15miles off shore in a rib in rough conditions a different story from an injury 30m from a riverbank in calm conditions.

Assume you fall over and break your leg (I'm assuming you have someone with you)... 15miles off shore you'll want to properly immobilise it before a long slow trip back ashore. Hypovolaemic shock will be a concern. Even if you are going to be airlifted off you can bank on a half hour minimum and probably more likely 60 minutes or more bouncing about in a rib I'd want to try and stabilize an injury.

In a river you can put ashore in minutes and deal with it there. You can presumably get an ambulance to you with all the kit you could imagine in less than 15minutes.

In a river you may be at less risk of needing seasickness tablets or pain killers. Much more likely you are just going to head ashore.

I'd suggest if you are river / inshore and working on that basis you will want some minor injury stuff (pain killers, plasters etc) in your car where it will be nice n dry. I'd have some superglue and some spray plaster in there.

I've never managed to get a plaster to stick on a boat. If its minor it'll be fine without, if it NEEDs a dressing stick some gauze or melolin on it followed by either a bandage or duct tape.
Old 13 February 2014, 17:43   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I've never managed to get a plaster to stick on a boat...
Try fillers
Old 13 February 2014, 18:09   #12

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Maybe but an injury 15miles off shore in a rib in rough conditions is a different story from an injury 30m from a riverbank in calm conditions.
I don't disagree - the point I was trying to make is that a first aid kit should contain the same basic stuff, as an injury requiring first aid needs treating the same way wherever you are.

I'd never assume there will be ideal conditions for dealing with a casualty, and "even" in a river (by which I meant tidal) they many not be somewhere easy to beach / land and professional help could still be a long way off in time.

I wouldn't carry a smaller first kit if I was pootling about in the river as opposed to doing a 50 mile cruise, in the same way I wouldn't not wear a LJ or kill-cord.
Old 14 February 2014, 02:01   #13

Town: Oakland CA
Plastic static wrap is a good thing for closing up large gashes (think prop hit or shark bite.) Not exactly sterile, but better than bleeding out. I get the 4 or 5 inch wide roll from a hardware store, and repackage what I carry on board onto a dowel (pencil would work fine.)

I don't typically carry splints that would set a leg, but have enough stuff to improvise if needed (paddles, spear shafts/guns, boat hook, etc.) Lots of tape in the kit helps here.

As a day trip diver, I stock a lot of stuff for people who don't feel well: seasickness meds, pain relievers, salves, antacids, antihistamines, etc; and a lot of stuff for minor injuries: bandaids, tape, finger splints.

Major injury requires return to the dock or air evacuation (or at least some sort of higher level care), so just enough to hold out until help gets there is fine.

One thing I don't have is an Epi-pen (injectable epinephrine.) Should have it in case of a severe reaction to, say, jellyfish toxin or similar; haven't needed it so far, but would be good to have. Anaphylaxis can kill pretty quickly.

jky
Old 14 February 2014, 09:13   #14

Make: Ballistic 6.5
My other half has quite a bad reaction to stings (but not to the level of an epi pen) So I asked at the local Chemist what would be the best stuff to take ? A good tip was that the anti histamine syrup that babies over 1 can take is the quickest stuff to be absorbed into the body so I've added a little bottle of that to my kit.
Old 14 February 2014, 09:27   #15

Boat name: Scubaqua
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 115
MMSI: 244630361
RIBase
For diving: see the DAN site... O2 and more.
But I have my O2 separate from the First Aid.
First aid actually only patches are often used. So buying patches which hold on wet surface is the best..
Old 14 February 2014, 09:39   #16

Town: Dorset
If you search for "Combined Diving Association - Guidelines for the safe operation of member club dive boats" they have a list of recommended items that should be in a first aid kit depending on how many miles offshore you intend to operate. Really useful guide for other safety kit as well.
Old 14 February 2014, 10:21   #17

I've gone for a Solas Cat C first aid kit. It may be a bit of overkill but better having and not needing that needing and not having.

I'll add a few thing to it as well, I've been reading up on cling film type medical wrap and that will be added.

Also the Epi Pen, I'm going to look into this now.
Old 14 February 2014, 10:37   #18
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon TW View Post
I've gone for a Solas Cat C first aid kit. It may be a bit of overkill but better having and not needing that needing and not having. I'll add a few thing to it as well, I've been reading up on cling film type medical wrap and that will be added. Also the Epi Pen, I'm going to look into this now.
Not over kill - just not a good choice for non-coded boat! CAT C Kits serve a purpose and everyday first aid is not that purpose....

Epi Pen's are prescription items only in UK - private prescription will cost £50 with 6 - 9 month use by date.

S.
Old 14 February 2014, 11:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
Not over kill - just not a good choice for non-coded boat! CAT C Kits serve a purpose and everyday first aid is not that purpose....

Epi Pen's are prescription items only in UK - private prescription will cost £50 with 6 - 9 month use by date.

S.

Where I'm based there's no helicopter coming and an Epi Pen is quite possibly an over the counter item.
Old 14 February 2014, 12:21   #20

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
For basic inshore ribbing, I would recommend you keep an eye out in Lidl, who regulalry stock First Aid kits which are very good value. individula items are sealed in plastic and it is very easy to add specific items dependent on your preference later.
Steve