Old 17 December 2007, 21:23   #1

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
T'has been Ordered...finally

Finally ordered my new RIB last week. Eventually went for a
5.5 metre Destroyer with the XL shaft transom, just need someone to give me a nice price on a 115 etec and a trailer!!!
Getting rather excited even though I doubt i'll make it onto the water before
july!!
Old 17 December 2007, 21:38   #2

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Lucky bugger. I still saving for a rib.
Old 17 December 2007, 21:56   #3

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I am wavering between a 5.5m Destroyer and a 5.7 Ocean pro and need to make up my mind by tomorrow.
I have limited space for storage and will need to remove the drawbar to get a 5.7m in but like the idea of the extra width and length plus the better hull and higher bow. decisions, decisions..............
Old 17 December 2007, 22:22   #4

I managed to buy the RIB its just the engine that is the problem!!!

Its always a case of compromises, a 5.7 ocean pro is definately going to feel noticibly larger, how much more is it?? I'm guessing the 5.8 destroyer is out of the question due to your storage issues? I started looking at a 5m so it would fit in the garage but still eventually went for the 5.5
I do like the cleaner lines of the Destroyers over the ocean pro's.

guessing you want to get in there before the 30% off finnishes and the prices go up by 10% after xmas!!??
Old 17 December 2007, 22:40   #5

Got in one! I am also in the position of being able to afford the hull and trailer but no engine at the mo. Hoping by the time I fit out I will have come up with something to power it! It will be at least may/june before the basic fit out is complete so I have some time to save up pennies.
I mainly like the Ocean pro cos of the extra width as I am fitting one of the Dual cruise consoles plus the high bow will help some of the places we go..........
Old 17 December 2007, 23:23   #6

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I mainly like the Ocean pro cos of the extra width as I am fitting one of the Dual cruise consoles plus the high bow will help some of the places we go..........
That doesn't mean to say that the Destroyer bow is low. I get very little / nothing over the bow even when it's pretty lumpy. Maybe the odd few droplets of spray if you're unlucky in 30knots of wind, but that's about all.

Good choice of rib though Mark, you'll really like her.

-Alex
Old 17 December 2007, 23:37   #7

Don't get me wrong, the best handling hull I ever drove was a 5.8 destroyer. I am just swithering cos Humber are telling me the Ocean pro is slightly better and the width and higher nose do look good. If it is even 1% better than a Destroyer it will be an excellent hull.
Since I am going from a 5m Assault either is going to be an improvement!
Old 18 December 2007, 00:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyo View Post
I started looking at a 5m so it would fit in the garage but still eventually went for the 5.5
I do like the cleaner lines of the Destroyers over the ocean pro's.
What colour did you go for and what consoles?
Old 18 December 2007, 11:19   #9

I just kept it nice and simple......
deluxe jocky console and deluxe jocky seat (I'll rarely carry more than 2 over longer distances). 70l fuel tank in the console and the raised bow locker. There is a supprising amount of room in the deluxe console and that with the second seat/bow locker should give me sufficient space for junk. Should also have enough room to store a rolled up dinghy behind the seats.
Navy tubes and white hull/console. I toyed with the idea of white hull and grey console seating but went with white in the end. I was going to go for a navy strake but decided to save some dollar and go with the standard black, Jono suggested that there are also some finnishing issues with navy strakes due to the lack of navy sikaflex!!
I also took the option of a modified transom so it will take an Aux without a bracket
Should go like stink with a 115 etec on the transom, hoping for around 50kts!
Electrics and a ski-able frame will all happen eventually!!
Old 18 December 2007, 12:15   #10

I am going for the Blue and white scheme as well for cheapness, well it looks OK as well.........
It is a bit of a pain the 170 quid for overpressure valves though!
What mod for aux do you mean? this isn't mentioned in any of the literature or when i visited the factory on friday.
I went for the locker and reinforced bow as well as waiting to see what an underfloor trunk will cost.
At the moment I am waiting for quotes to come back between a 5.8 destroyer and a 5.7 Ocean pro. At the moment the destroyer is in front as a front runner for the order but ask me again in an hour..........
Just bought the trailer though, De Graaf SA1500/2 with all the extra trimmings to be picked up on the way to collect the hull.
Old 18 December 2007, 13:35   #11

I need to get a trailer sorted as well!!! In the basis of going on 375kgs for the boat, 70Kgs fuel, 170 engine I was hoping to manage with a De Graaff SB1000 with a 740KG capacity. What sort of time scale was Arthur talking for Collection??
Basically for £50 they will modify the transom as shown in the pic. I went for the XL transon that is 5inches higher so that water intake will be minimal even with the aux cut out rather than the normal raised splash plates.
Its obviously too late for me to think about under deck trunking now but i'd be interested in the cost when you find out....provided it isn't too cheap and I get upset!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1303.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	31856  
Old 18 December 2007, 14:02   #12

I would probably buy the SB1300 for a 5.5m, you would be surprised just how much weight all the other bits on the boat add up to.
battery, cabling, electronics, flares, spares and anchor etc.
I would probably have been all right with the SB1300 for the one I am thinking of but like making sure I am going to be legal no matter what.
I am still awaiting a decision on underfloor trunk fitted to a destroyer but it is thought to be around £350 if it can be done.
collection is within a week or two but I have actually paid for mine to be built in six weeks or so to be collected on the way to get the hull end Feb/beg Mar.
Old 19 December 2007, 17:17   #13

Just had another look at the De Graaff web site and there is only about 40 quid difference in the prices I've been quoted for a SB1300 and SB1000.
On reflection I reckon you are right, 4 extra rollers, 300kgs, 2 speed winch and 8 ply tyres for 40 pounds can't be bad!!
Old 19 December 2007, 18:00   #14

I went through ebay and got a discounted price over the list price. I am quite happy getting a SB1500 trailer with all the extras including flushing kit/bearings savers, spare wheel and mount, side steps and locking hitch for around £1800................