Old 16 January 2008, 16:42   #1

Town: Central Coast, NSW
Boat name: Grey Duck
Make: Avon- Sea Rider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DT65
Thankyou.. from Down Under

I'd like to thank the members of this site for their efforts in compiling and presenting the most invaluable collection of RIB data [especially Searider] that I've come across. The build and repair threads are just great and of immense help.
We've had our Searider for 15 years and have worked it hard, in all conditions, with only minor repairs and a transom strengthen needed to date. The 'Duck' has been well maintained but now needs slightly more than minor repairs to have it like new. Such is the quality of the Avon.
The threads I have scoured here have provided all that I need to undertake those repairs myself and add a few modifications we needed, but lacked the confidence and expertise to alter an otherwise superb sea boat.
We have modified the boat somewhat to suit our uses but tackling Hypalon repairs around the transom attachment points doesn't seem so daunting now thanks to RIBnet.
I could go on about all the good things I've found on this site but then you would already know them. LOL
I have taken the liberty of uploading a pic. of myself, my wife Kathleen and two of our children, Phoebe and Harrie [Andrew was off destroying something] as getting to meet any of you in person will not be possible for at least 2 years [unless Kath wangles a posting to a Uni over there.]
Thanks again for a great resource for RIBbers.
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Family (Small).jpg
Views:	212
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	32286  
Old 16 January 2008, 17:31   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Nice to see a boat from Old South Wales doing so well in New South Wales!!!
Old 16 January 2008, 18:02   #3

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Nice post. Thank you for bothering.
Old 16 January 2008, 18:45   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Welcome to RIBnet Paul!

Now we just need some pictures of your boat in action

John
Old 17 January 2008, 04:34   #5

Thank you Gentlemen, I am happy to be a member here and hope that with 20yrs experience of inflatable boating I can contribute to the debates.
Codprawn, my friends at the Newcastle [NSW] Celtic Society constantly remind me that Avon is not the only Welsh export of high quality in NSW. Their view may be biased but accurate if singing and celebrating are also considered.
jwalker, The hospitality and courtesy extended to me in Scotland, indeed all of the UK, on my visits deserves such courtesy and honesty in return, so "na bother at all" just appreciation and introduction.
John, thank you for the welcome. After seeing first hand the sea conditions [from gale to [freezing] calm] you Northeners call normal, I "dips me lid" to your members who regularly venture out in them... and get back!
We normally do not need more than a full wetsuit in our coldest weather and as it's also our survival suit, kitting out is much simpler here.
I don't have many old "action" shots as we usually don't dive in company and taking shots while driving in white water is an art I haven't mastered but I'll see what I can dig up. The helm and seats are out for renovation ATM, I'll take some shots to show what we're up to and seek suggestions etc.
Cheers,
Paul
Old 17 January 2008, 12:15   #6

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: None
Length: no boat
Engine: None
Excellent,

would be good to see how you get on with the renovation, I'm currently building up from the bare sea rider hull on a 5.4. Am posting pictures as I go, will be asking questions too.

Good stuff
Old 17 January 2008, 13:08   #7

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Although we have the "sea conditions [from gale to [freezing] calm]", at least we don't have quite so many things swimming about that bite, sting or any other way they can find to kill us.

Good luck to you
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2008, 16:37   #8

Solent-Salted,
Yours is one of the builds I have been following, the hull has certainly come up well and despite what your friends say there's not too much wasted paint, at least compared to some of my work around the house. It should look great when finished.
I understand why you need to keep the flooding hull and sit low at times, we blocked it off years ago for the opposite reason, to ride higher over shallow reefs etc. and for quicker response in the surf on a lee shore. Also most of our coastal estuaries and lakes are very shallow, with sandbanks to be negotiated at low speed without settling down as it normally would.
Having the chamber empty has been a success for us. The drain hole cap is opened when out of the water to allow for complete air drying of the innards.
I look forward to comparing notes with you as the jobs progress.
Seaskills,
Mate, we have the gales too and some very interesting sea states but not the blasted instant, bone chilling cold you lot often have to deal with. It can be 5-10C on a winters morn here but still 17-19C water temp. The odds of surviving an extended dunking here are much greater than there IMO. We mainly have to chance what may be nearby in the sea and whether it's hungry or curious, not the chilly sea itself which is definitely there and persistent.
Being of a perverse nature I went for a surf off Northern Scotland in 1988 when an Arctic storm had stopped the ferry to the Outer Hebrides and covered London in a spring snow storm. I couldn't resist that beautiful, clear, green Atlantic swell. Snorkelling at Skye, Islay and Jura followed, onlookers thought I was mad as I was only wearing swimmers and a cheap mask/snorkel. I found out at least two things, the Atlantic is so clear because it's so bloody cold and although I could swim for hours here in winter, that cold got to me very, very quickly. It was great fun though, and thawing out in front of a log fire with a glass of the local malt, Celtic heritage, was even more fun.
In 1990 I got to see those same areas in the midst of a storm, not on its edges, the violence of which made my hair stand on end, I'm told it wasn't a big one.
I still "dips me lid" to Atlantic seamen on all extremities of your 'Pond' and I'll continue to take my chances with our temperate zone bities.
Good luck to you too.
Paul
Old 26 January 2008, 19:41   #9

Town: Australia
Boat name: Independent (Indy)
Make: Avon SR6
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin 90hp E-Tec 2016
Hi PaulMAC

Hi, I am over here in Adelaide with an old 6m SeaRider that has been somewhat modified by its previous owner. I bought it primarily for diving and because it looks nice behind my Land Rover.

Anyway, if you get over to Adelaide and would like a dive, or would just like to have a chat do not hesitate to drop me a private message. I am happy to give you a call.

Regards.
Old 26 January 2008, 23:01   #10

Thanks Mr Sav,
Will do, although if your over here during the next few months the SR4 is out of the water for modification and a couple of repairs.
A drink and a chat are still to be had. Our type of diving is more accurately described as snorkeling, as you probably know spearfishing with SCUBA gear is illegal here. Over the last few years we have tapered off having tanks in the boat, due to the fishing inspectors lack of faith in human nature and belief that if SCUBA were present it must have been used illegally to procure the catch. You are guilty until proven innocent in their eyes, so the tanks went, not worth the hassle.
Cheers,
Paul