Old 11 October 2004, 21:16   #1

Testing the Parker 900

Since I am currently looking for a new rib for my charter-company, Parker invited me to Goeteborg in Sweden to test their 900 Baltic with twin 225 Mercury.
Before going to Sweden, I contacted another chartercompany in Norway which uses Parker as their charterboat. The boat had been used as a charterboat for two years when they bought it, and they have had no problems with it, which is very unusual for a rib used so hard for so many hours.
Then I contacted a friend of mine, Johan Ullmann (the maker of the Ullmann suspension-seat), and asked if he would join me when testing the Parker-rib. He agreed to meet us in Goeteborg.
When at the harbour, I got to meet the owner of the boat and the chartercompany. The rib had been used as a charterboat for 200 hours this season. We wanted to know what problems that had occured, and he told us that only two problems had occured; the rubberstrake on port side had started to come off, and that wo a hole in the fabric on one of the seats had come occured due to wear. This is amazing knowing what abuse this boat has to take. In Sweden ribcharter is the same as extreme-ribbing, where the customers expect 100% action every second!

On our way out we could eighter take the marked route out to the open sea, or we could let Ullmann take the wheel and drive the unmarked route full of unmarked underwater obstacles without a chartplotter. We chose the latter. Is was one of the biggest thrills of my life. At 100% full bore he navigated between invicible obstacles for 20 minutes, doing 90 degree turns every now and then.

When out in the open, we started off at 1m. waves, the boat just plow through them. The wavesize grew to 3m. and Ullmann jumped so that the propellers left the water for a long time again and again. How could he drive the boat so hard when it was not his own? The boat handled beautifully. It never tossed us around trying to scare us.
Then it was my turn to try this boat. My experience with boats is that I have had boats since I was 10 years old, ribs for 4 years, and done chartering for 300 hours last 6 months. I started off gently making 8-turns in the 3m. waves. I wanted to feel how the boat handled the waves from every angle. When the boat showed me that it was no problem, I started going right agains the waves untill they reached 3.5m. and we jumped really high, pulling the throttle gently back to half throttle before landing and then throttling up again. The boat performed the way I want a Rib to handle, very safe and predictable.
On our way in, Ullmann touched my shoulder to get my attention, and asked if I could try high speed turns in the 1m. waves we currently were in. I throttled up, and made sharper and sharper turns untill I did not dare to make them tighter. I was amazed that it was possible that the boat could handle so well without skidding out and jumping sideways.
Then the salesman at Parker, Peder, asked gently if he could take the wheel. My first thought was that he had had enough and wanted to save what was left og the boat, but he told us to hold un. He then throttled up to full speed before he started to turn much harder and sharper than I dared to! There is now way that I have ever experienced this kind of seaworthiness of a rib before. I do not need the boat to perform so extremely, but just knowing that the limits of the boat are so much further out than I will ever need is comforting to know.
This experience gave Ullmann and me a good reason to smile for the rest of the weekend.

So what was not so good about this boat? It is like everything else, nothing can perform 100% in every way. What this boat lacks is the top end speed. My 9m. with 2x250 makes 10% higher top end speed. But the choice is simple, Parker really amazed me.
The boatsetup I am looking for is with twin engine setup, and thereby do cost a lot of money. I therefore have to test more boats before I spend my hard earned money. But I do think it is close to impossible to find a boat which handles so well and has the same quality for the same price.
Old 11 October 2004, 21:30   #2

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Old 11 October 2004, 23:00   #3

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
a dream boat

it sounds like a story from mills and boon..........

We must have been going wrong for all this time........

Did you meet a mermaid called Chisella on your test run....?

pete
Old 12 October 2004, 11:22   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Thanks for a very interesting report Fjordrafting!

What RIBs have you had before, and what do you think it is about the Parker that means it can perform so much better than anything else?

John
Old 12 October 2004, 11:58   #5

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett

What RIBs have you had before, and what do you think it is about the Parker that means it can perform so much better than anything else?

John

It's tubes
Old 12 October 2004, 13:31   #6

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Testing the Parker 900

Fjordrafting

Many thanks for your detailed report. Most apprieciated specially coming from an experienced commercial operator like yourself. I suppose if the tested rib was fitted with twin 250's then the top speed would be compatable to your current rib although the Baltic is probably a bit heavier.

For those interested I am attaching photos of the ribs mentioned in the report.

One is of the Parker 900RS (single inboard Mercruiser 4.2 300) which is operating in Norway

and then the tested Parker 900 Baltic with twin Mercury Optimax 225
The hull is the same as our cabin rib which I took back by sea to Poland and will take twin inboard diesel engines

Regret but do not have any action shots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parker 900 Baltic (2).JPG
Views:	331
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	8733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Parker 900 Baltic (3).JPG
Views:	406
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	8734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Parker RIB-900RS(1).JPG
Views:	606
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	8735  
Old 13 October 2004, 20:36   #7

Quote:

John
Hi, John! Do you have the last issue of Rib International?
Old 13 October 2004, 20:43   #8

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:

John
Hey JK, your such a diplomat, surely you meant to say that the report should have been posted over on the "dark side", I would suggest in the torkin bollix section!!!!!
Old 13 October 2004, 20:52   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjordrafting
Do you have the last issue of Rib International?
No. Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
Hey JK, your such a diplomat, surely you meant to say that the report should have been posted over on the "dark side", I would suggest in the torkin bollix section!!!!!
Not at all. I'm genuinely interested!

John
Old 14 October 2004, 13:09   #10

Quote:
No. Why?Not at all. I'm genuinely interested!

John
If you did read it, there is a picture of me in my boat on the third last page, where Rib Magazine informs about what comes in next issue. They write about the journey where I drew the boat from Lymington i Portsmoth to Scotland, Shetland and then to Trondheim in Norway last April.
Old 14 October 2004, 13:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
Hi, Dirk!
Since I am from Norway, I do not understand the English terminology. Could you please tell me what you ment in plain english, and if it was ment negative, why is that?
Old 14 October 2004, 13:21   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjordrafting
They write about the journey where I drew the boat from Lymington i Portsmoth to Scotland, Shetland and then to Trondheim in Norway last April.
Sounds like an interesting voyage!

So what do you think it is that makes the Parker so much better than anything else?

John
Old 14 October 2004, 14:20   #13

If I do the same turn with the Scorp. it slides, jumps and throw us to the side. I know that you are not supposed to write something bad about a rib, but after 300 hours in the boat, I do know what I m talking about when it comes to my Scorp doing a tight turn, period!
Old 14 October 2004, 19:01   #14
Administrator

Do you think it's the hull design that makes the Parker better? The design of the tubes? The way it's built? Or perhaps just the set up?

I know that you have been unhappy with your Scorpion, but it's a generally well regarded boat so the Parker must be something really special to be so much better. As far as I can see there is nothing particularly radical about the design so I'm interested in what makes it so good. Any ideas?

John
Old 20 October 2004, 13:53   #15

Town: Stockholm
Make: Mako Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 250 hpdi
Hi!

I´ve been viewing this thread as a guest for a while. I´m still waiting for an answer. Maybe someone at Parker can answer. I´m very curious.

Regards SweRib
Old 20 October 2004, 21:16   #16

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerib
Hi!

I´ve been viewing this thread as a guest for a while. I´m still waiting for an answer. Maybe someone at Parker can answer. I´m very curious.

Regards SweRib
Hi Swerib,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your interest in Parker ribs. Are you thinking your next rib and have short listed a Parker perhaps?

If I had written the report, which started this thread, then of course most would comment that I am blowing my own trumpet,just sales talk. What I can add is that the Baltic range was specifically designed for twin diesel commercial operation but has also proved to be very successful with twin large outboards in particular for SeaSafari type of fun where the passengers may also enjoy lots of thrill and excitement.

Martin is an experienced operator, he took his time in selecting his rib and having done many hours including the passage across the North Sea to Norway I would say he knows what he is taking about when comparing the performances of both ribs. Can't wait to read about this passage in the next issue of RI.
We value Martin's report as who better then such operator is more qualified to write such having done the test himself.

As you are based in Stockholm why don't you contact our distributor (see our web page for details) and perhaps even make contact with the operator of the rib in question and find out what he thinks of our ribs.