Old 01 August 2012, 09:32   #21

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Had my Vipermax for 5 years, never had water in the bilges....Not Ever! I used to check but haven't for over a year. I think I'll check after writing this
Mine has always been completely dry under the deck as well, though it's lived outside till last weekend when I finally got it in the garage, and never has the cover on (normally too windy here to handle the cover easily). The seat cushions absorb more water than Ethiopia's irrigation programme, and water gets into the seat pods, but under the deck is always dry (though I too am going to check this weekend!)

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2012, 12:02   #22

Town: Leicester
Boat name: BamBam
Make: Base Marine
Engine: outboard, petrol, 50
All cabeling/control leads etc. run through a surface mounted (above deck) heavy duty flexi pipe from console to battery/engine, this is for quick trouble shooting and easy routing etc.
Console is bolted down but has enough sealant included to make a new hull!
After everyones comments I'm begining to narrow it down to either me missing a bad bung hole bond when last inspected, or some kind of undetectable open joint between tubes and hull (which must be at the stern end cos I have REALLY looked at the bow!)

Off for a few turns round Ilfracombe and other bits off Nth Devon this weekend, another chance for a serious inspection... watch this space.
Old 01 August 2012, 19:17   #23

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by amityslave View Post
All cabeling/control leads etc. run through a surface mounted (above deck) heavy duty flexi pipe from console to battery/engine, this is for quick trouble shooting and easy routing etc.
Console is bolted down but has enough sealant included to make a new hull!
After everyones comments I'm begining to narrow it down to either me missing a bad bung hole bond when last inspected, or some kind of undetectable open joint between tubes and hull (which must be at the stern end cos I have REALLY looked at the bow!)

Off for a few turns round Ilfracombe and other bits off Nth Devon this weekend, another chance for a serious inspection... watch this space.
Get the boat on the trailer and make it as level as possible, then fill up the deck area with a hose to a 1-2 inch level. Leave for an hour and take out the bung. If you get wet feet you know it’s getting in from the deck. Dry feet and the problem is in the hull somewhere.
To check the hull try filling the void up with a hose from the bung hole and look for drips.
Good luck
Andy
Old 02 August 2012, 07:41   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
Get the boat on the trailer and make it as level as possible, then fill up the deck area with a hose to a 1-2 inch level. Leave for an hour and take out the bung. If you get wet feet you know it’s getting in from the deck. Dry feet and the problem is in the hull somewhere.
To check the hull try filling the void up with a hose from the bung hole and look for drips.
Good luck
Andy
Thanks Wightdiver, hadn't thought of turning the boat into a paddling pool, I like it!
I know the hull's not the problem because I have done the 'on the trailer' thing and looked for anything dripping out. But will try the opposite as you suggest.... why do I always miss the cleaver ideas?
Old 02 August 2012, 08:45   #25
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Be careful when loading the boat with water while on a trailer. Consider the weight loading on the hull at the trailer supports (rollers, whatever). 1/2 ton of water wouldn't go far in an exercise like that but would put a lot of extra stress on a few small supporting points (generally a boat is heavily loaded IN the water, not on a trailer)

I'm not suggesting don't do it, just be cautious!
Old 02 August 2012, 08:54   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Be careful when loading the boat with water while on a trailer. Consider the weight loading on the hull at the trailer supports (rollers, whatever). 1/2 ton of water wouldn't go far in an exercise like that but would put a lot of extra stress on a few small supporting points (generally a boat is heavily loaded IN the water, not on a trailer)

I'm not suggesting don't do it, just be cautious!
Thanks Willk, yep had considered that bit. It will only theoretically need a carefull load of 1" or so, especially as long as the boat/trailer combo is level.... the paddling pool idea was not really serious.... however I do have a 'retired' 6 man liferaft that does make a perfect paddling pool!
Cheers
Old 03 August 2012, 08:05   #27

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by amityslave View Post
Thanks Wightdiver, hadn't thought of turning the boat into a paddling pool, I like it!
I know the hull's not the problem because I have done the 'on the trailer' thing and looked for anything dripping out. But will try the opposite as you suggest.... why do I always miss the cleaver ideas?
Glad to help, if that fails consider filling the bilges with the hose (or at least getting some water in there) and then look for leaks. You may need to adjust the angle of the trailer to check all areas of the hull. Not the best thing to do but it works.

Andy