Town: Exeter
Boat name: Summer Toy
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha outboard 75hp
MMSI: 232022734
Taking a Zodiac Medline 1 to the Isles of Scilly

Hi All,

My first proper post on hear so please be gentle. I am planning a trip to the Isles of Scilly in July this year. My boat is kept in the river Exe so my plan is to drive the boat down to the Scillies in a couple of hops. The first one from the Exe to Salcombe then to Falmouth and finally on to the Scillies. I will be taking my time to get down there and enjoying the journey so a steady 18-20 knots hopefully. Weather dependant I would like to know if you think that this is a good idea from a point of view of the capability of the boat (a really well maintained 4.8m zodiac medline) I have sorted an auxillary engine as well. I have done a fair amount of miles with her and have seen some fairly decent chop but nothing like what you would see in the atlantic even on a calm day. Just for reference I am an experienced sailor and have gone to the Scillies on a number of occasions on yachts. Any thoughts or things to be aware of would be massively appreciated. Also if anyone is thinking of going across around the mid-end of July I would appreciate the company
Old 07 May 2021, 14:12   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbroor View Post
Hi All,

My first proper post on hear so please be gentle. I am planning a trip to the Isles of Scilly in July this year. My boat is kept in the river Exe so my plan is to drive the boat down to the Scillies in a couple of hops. The first one from the Exe to Salcombe then to Falmouth and finally on to the Scillies. I will be taking my time to get down there and enjoying the journey so a steady 18-20 knots hopefully. Weather dependant I would like to know if you think that this is a good idea from a point of view of the capability of the boat (a really well maintained 4.8m zodiac medline) I have sorted an auxillary engine as well. I have done a fair amount of miles with her and have seen some fairly decent chop but nothing like what you would see in the atlantic even on a calm day. Just for reference I am an experienced sailor and have gone to the Scillies on a number of occasions on yachts. Any thoughts or things to be aware of would be massively appreciated. Also if anyone is thinking of going across around the mid-end of July I would appreciate the company
Can't see a problem, you sound like you know what you're at. Pick your weather & be prepared to stay longer or cut short your stay if the weather changes. Take plenty of fuel.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2021, 14:17   #3

Thank you for getting back to me. Good point about fuel, I think I will get a spare tank just in case. The main tank is a fairly decent 113 litres but better to be safe than sorry
Old 07 May 2021, 15:31   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
This is worth a look.

Harry did it in a Searider 4.0m. Pretty sure he's got an auxilliary on board too, and looks like they carry 50 litres of fuel with a Honda BF30.

It's all about the weather window if you're heading out and having being there before - you'll know what to expect.

Safety wise - VHF, PLB, etc.
Old 07 May 2021, 15:44   #5

Thank you, hopefully I can get the weather window to go across when we have our accommodation booked for ��. Which PLB do people recommend?! I have a Garmin Inreach that should fit the bill. Just interested what is best for a little RIB

Tags
zodiac