Click Here to Login

Old 28 July 2004, 08:09   #121

Make: extreme 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona N
Hi it's Fiona.
When I was a little girl I used to climb trees. I knew that to get to the top was to achieve ultimate calm where there was no-one else. I tried to reach the furthest leaf and wondered had anyone touched it before. I also used to go out on a boat with my uncle. We'd go storming out of Ballydorn. I'd be sitting at the bow, wind in my face, freezing cold and singing at the top of my voice. It used to bring tears to my eyes.
Not sadness. Sheer joy and inner peace. With this trip I may not have touched water that nobody else has but I did get a chance to achieve a dream.
I'm not finished with dreaming. Because on the trip round Ireland I found a place in my heart that even I hadn't been to yet. However some things have guided me through my life in general and helped me in many different circumstances. I never dared to dream that I would get the chance to need them as much as I did round Ireland.
Even when I was most frightened it was OK because I felt after a lifetime of searching I was where I truly belonged at last.

Fiona
beautiful
Old 28 July 2004, 09:10   #122

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
I don't have a lot of experience on the water (yet) but I have been in some extremely scary situations. I suppose the top (or bottom) three (depending on how you look at it) situations were:

1. being arrested in Hangchow airport with wife and two tiny children six weeks before Tiannamen Square (useful that my then boss was an ex-FO mandarin, and my secretary was getting used to me ringing up from around the world saying "er Houson, we have a problem...")
2. being beaten up by border guards at the Romanian border while smuggling computers into Romania to be used by journalists following the revolution (the computers were not detected under the piles of black plastic sacks filled with clothes and teddies but parts of my anatomy will never forget that night!)
3. being lost in the Canadian Wilderness with a lady who was a diabetic and having to learn how to use flares in earnest (the cavalry set off a flare in the distance in response when we had only two of our original pack of ten left, and came to the rescue - it was very cold, wet and dark by then...)

The point of this post, which has little to do with RIBs, sorry, is that I am strongly of the view that we are at our very best doing something worthwhile and outside of our comfort zone. That is when we can obtain a perspective on what is really important. Well done to both of you. Please don't lose that fresh insight in the hussle and bustle as the days go past....

Oh dear, sorry if I sound like an old uncle. Please forgive me!!

Bruce
Old 28 July 2004, 09:33   #123

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker
The point of this post, which has little to do with RIBs, sorry, is that I am strongly of the view that we are at our very best doing something worthwhile and outside of our comfort zone. That is when we can obtain a perspective on what is really important. Well done to both of you. Please don't lose that fresh insight in the hussle and bustle as the days go past....Bruce
Thanks Bruce.
Very encouraging thoughts. And so appropriate.
Very scary adventures you've had!!

Serious respect to a real gent.

Missus
Old 28 July 2004, 11:55   #124

My story Part 2

Thanks so much Carly and Bruce and all the rest of you. She's definitely mad Matt and I was too...to take this on.

OK, here goes.

It has taken a little longer than anticipated however that's the story of my life! Just as I sat down to write this I literally said I don't quite know where to start. Now I guess it would be good to give you all an insight into my drive for the trip. And hopefully as time goes on I can give you my version when I can find the words that will articulately relay the chain of events for me. However K has done a wonderful, wonderful job. For those who know her, well you already know how wonderful she is. For those who don't I strongly suggest you spend some time in this woman's company. She has taken her dad's advice and has truly kept the magic. She has the tone of an angel and the courage of a lion and a heart so full to be compared to no other.
I couldn't have done this trip with anyone else and that's a fact. Thank you would never be enough. I hope she knows how precious she is.
As for Mr. Priddy. When I try to explain about him most folk relate to him as my mentor and in many ways he is. But I feel that description isn't enough. I think he is as brave as he is bloody-minded and you all know how much that is. His faith in me and my capabilities seems immeasurable and the only reason I can find for it is that we are frighteningly alike. I can never thank him enough either. I intend to spend an awful long time trying.

Fiona
Old 28 July 2004, 12:20   #125

It's Fi again...my post was too long !

I was absolutely amazed at the number of people who didn't know that there was such a charity as the Ileostomy Association. Until I had my operation myself honesty would dictate that I also didn't know of it. I decided almost instantly that it was high time people did. It is a charity that pleads for awareness as much as funding.
Whilst lying in my convalescing bed I (just like everyone else) was having some difficulty in seeing that it would be the best thing for me. However I couldn't go on as I was and I had no choice. So I started planning all sorts of things and started to think of others and how would they be.
I know not everyone is as mad as I to name their stoma Stella and their pouch Percy (distant lovers of course...Percy is not very faithful !). I laugh or try to about possible situations yet to come.
I thought of children going to school and being bullied and tormented or maybe kept off school by overprotective parents. I wanted to make it easier for them to see and to understand that those devices are fitted for an easier life and that life should be better because of them. I hope that more funds are raised for more research that goes into educating society-even the nurses. Not just in the medical side of things but also in the way that they deal with patients.
I believe that the best people to help are people like me who have gone through it all and can help alleviate the flaws in the system. Let the ball roll!
I wanted to show young adults and all those who are faced with the trauma that, yes, OK, for three months until everything settles it is bleak and the problems seem endless. And yes there's more than one embarrassing moment.
But it does get better. They can still do things that they like given care preparation and good management. While dealing with the realities it's still OK to dream.
As for the little tots I would like for them to have pouches that they can relate to, Spiderman, Bob The Builder, Barbie, sparkle stuff, girl and boy things. All sorts of character bags that they can see as a good and fun thing and not to grow up hating it.
I'm sure it wouldn't take too much, stick a few on with gaffer tape eh Kathleen!
I wouldn't like to imagine what state I would have come home in had I not had my bag. It was so easy. Just take it off and put a new one on. I can tell you many others would have needed a strong laxative and felt rotten for days!
These are just some of the reasons why Kathleen and I went round Ireland in Alan's RIB.
That's it for now. I love reading all the messages.

Love from Fiona
Old 28 July 2004, 15:30   #126
Hairdresser

Town: Peel
Boat name: Jane L
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
MMSI: 235077935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona N
As for Mr. Priddy .............we are frighteningly alike.
Fiona
aaaagghhhhh - and I was looking forward to meeting you, but now I know that you're short and overweight with a dodgy grey beard I'm not so sure

The camera really does lie......... frightening indeed

Allen
Old 28 July 2004, 15:53   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen
aaaagghhhhh - and I was looking forward to meeting you, but now I know that you're short and overweight with a dodgy grey beard I'm not so sure

The camera really does lie......... frightening indeed

Allen
Relax Allen..Fiona's gorgeous...the camera doesn't do her justice!!!!

Hey Fi you have 2 green blobs...must be the fastest ever

Us
Old 28 July 2004, 17:50   #128

Town: Belfast
Length: no boat
Well done Fiona

I never new that ards sailing clubs Domestic cleaner was such a brave and incredable voyger! Ribs scare the HELL out of me as i am a wind junkie only heard about you on Sunday Well done and hope all goes well on your next adventure.
Old 28 July 2004, 22:33   #129

Met Egbert tonight Fiona. He's really looking forward to the weekend in Bangor with the 'Spirit Team'. Alan did a grand job of the pub quiz in the Jolly Sailor and all of them ...Alan, Egbert, Kevin and Paul are in great form!!!

See you soon. Look forward to all the stories...

Us
Old 28 July 2004, 22:40   #130

Late...forgot stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
Met Egbert tonight Fiona. He's been enjoying reading the thread at a friend's place. He's really looking forward to the weekend in Bangor with the 'Spirit Team'. Alan did a grand job of the pub quiz in the Jolly Sailor and all of them ...Alan, Egbert, Kevin and Paul are in great form!!!

See you soon. Look forward to all the stories...

Us
BTW Our team won the quiz without cheating so I now HAVE THE T-SHIRT !!!
Alan gave me two signed books as well. Thanks a lot Alan. Nice evening.
Old 29 July 2004, 05:58   #131

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Cant wait to see you as well Allen!!!!
Old 29 July 2004, 13:11   #132

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Well done girls what a fanatasic achivement....more so because you just went for it with your hearts. Experience is a good thing, but going with the feeling is better
You pair have more of the male gene in you than some of the males that pass stupid and probably envious comments about you voyage. So whats next as its seems that you've got the bug?

Andy
Old 29 July 2004, 13:44   #133

Town: Portchester
Boat name: South Coast Two
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90
Lads in good form !

I waited to say well done personally to kathleen, and hope I get the chance to do the same with fiona.

Last night was an excellent night, and yes the lads were on good form, however the same can't be said about Kevin this morning ! I think maning a dry suit one size too small in 50 seconds took it out of him ( or it could of been the mixture of beer and champagne !!!!)

Yes our team did win and Kathleen has the T-shirt to prove it ( where's mine Alan?)

Looking forward to seeing you all in Belfast tomorrow.

Good on yea girls

Froglover
Old 29 July 2004, 14:00   #134

Andy thanks for your absolutely wonderful comments. All the positive comments and support will be treasured forever by those involved.
What's next? (Well one of us had better learn how to change a gearbox!!!)
Next we gather in Northern Ireland to make sure Alan, Egbert, Kev and Paul have all the vitamins they need (hops, malt) to bring Spirit of The Jolly Sailor to her new home. I'm really going to miss her cheerful presence at Gunwharf and as Fi and I are soppy we'll probably wave goodbye with a tear.

Kathryn it was great to meet you too. Thanks for the woman-to-women support and look forward to seeing you & Camilla at the weekend.

Welcome to RIBnet Jimmy McIlwaine (James...) !!!!!!
- Secretary of Fiona's chosen charity.-
Great timing because we can promise you now that the first cheques for the Ileostomy Association of Northern Ireland will be handed over to you this weekend. Hope you enjoy reading about our little adventure.

I actually have a few more photos !!!!
And they will be posted eventually.

Back to the hoover.

Missus
Old 29 July 2004, 14:30   #135

Welcome Jimmy

Paul
Old 29 July 2004, 14:56   #136

Town: Portchester
Boat name: South Coast Two
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90
Forget the hoover !
Old 29 July 2004, 15:32   #137

Town: Greyabbey
Boat name: Keltoi
Make: Naked Ribs (Self Build)
Length: 6 six
Engine: Suzuki 140 fs
Well Done!

Well Done ladies. There are guys all over Europe turning green with envy.

You are now part of a select club of female round Ireland solo ribsters, I believe started by Rhonda Kearny in 2000.

She circumnavigated Ireland in a 7.4m rib to raise £10,000 for the local RNLI station.

I can see a Round World challenge coming on for you next!!!

Dave
Old 29 July 2004, 15:34   #138

How interesting!!! Is she related to a Vince Kearney who is (I think ) from NI also?

Would love to meet her!!!

She must have done a full non-stop ?

We had to stop because of a little encounter with a rope.

Missus
Old 29 July 2004, 18:05   #139

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglover
Forget the hoover !
Kevin will need it for the next couple of weeks

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2004, 20:01   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribald
Kevin will need it for the next couple of weeks
Oh behave.