Old 22 November 2020, 19:20   #1

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: N/A
Make: Valient
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60HP 4 stroke
Suzuki dt65 1998

Hi everyone - looking for a little advice / help. I am running a Suzuki DT65 of my Valiant V450, and had an issue out on the water today. After around 30 minutes of great boating I stopped around one of the forts just off Portsmouth Harbour. After idling a little while, I throttled back up to leave, and the engine choked a few times, almost shutting down, so I throttled back to neutral. It ticked over fine so throttled up once again. I managed to get the revs up and hit a decent speed, maintained it fine, then once closer to land throttled her back. The engine once again started spluttering and shut down. The engine fired straight back up, but spluttered and made chirping noises, almost like small misfires, enough to kick the engine to one side every time it chirped. I got a tow back into harbour, but am left wondering what is wrong. I have a strong flow of water going in and out of the engine (tell tail is strong) Once back in to the marina, I fired her back up and got the rib onto my pontoon. I flushed her out, no issues - fuel is not old (3 weeks) just looking for advice. Some internet searching has suggested cleaning the carbs out (Sea foam motor tune seems effective) all help and suggestions appreciated! Withers!
Old 23 November 2020, 08:26   #2

Town: North Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mary Olwen
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: OB, Petrol, 140HP
Could be mucky carbs or possibly fouled plugs? What's the service status of the engine?
Old 24 November 2020, 19:01   #3

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: N/A
Make: Valient
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60HP 4 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry_Doc View Post
Could be mucky carbs or possibly fouled plugs? What's the service status of the engine?
Hey DD, thanks for the reply. I purchased the bib a few years back and spent sometime recovering the hull, re-wire, new upholstery etc, had the engine serviced just over a year ago. It has been fine on the water albeit I have not really taken it that far as I wanted to build confidence in the repairs I had done. I had booked her in for another service just before lockdown 2 but delayed it due to not being allowed to get it out the water for the service. I have spoken to the chap that does the servicing and he suggested cleaning the carbs and re-balancing them as well as the service.. fingers crossed!

Tags
suzuki