Old 26 June 2021, 22:35   #1

Town: Scotland
Boat name: no name
Make: Hydro force
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Suzuki dt 65 fuel consumption

Hi all
I bought a small rib with a Suzuki dt65, the outboard had been idle for a couple of years or so. I have stripped and cleaned the carbs and oil injection system, also service it. It came with a 24 ltr fuel tank.
On my first time out with the boat on flat calm day the outboard idle ok and seem to rev up ok, but after cruising about for just over 2 hours at 3500rpm it ran out of fuel (I did have more fuel on board), does the fuel consumption sound about right or is it running a bit rich?.
Cheers for the help
Kevin
Old 27 June 2021, 01:04   #2

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsc View Post
Hi all
I bought a small rib with a Suzuki dt65, the outboard had been idle for a couple of years or so. I have stripped and cleaned the carbs and oil injection system, also service it. It came with a 24 ltr fuel tank.
On my first time out with the boat on flat calm day the outboard idle ok and seem to rev up ok, but after cruising about for just over 2 hours at 3500rpm it ran out of fuel (I did have more fuel on board), does the fuel consumption sound about right or is it running a bit rich?.
Cheers for the help
Kevin

The DT65 is a 2 stroke, so will be thirsty on fuel in comparison to a modern 4 stroke.

I would say that 12L / hour at 3500rpm is pretty good and better than I would expect.
Old 27 June 2021, 07:42   #3

Hi gpsguru
I also have a 25hp 4 stroke which is very good in fuel. So the dt65 is running as it should which am glad about . The fuel tank is right beside the transom would I be able to move it to the front of the boat where I can put a 40ltr tank in.
Cheers for the help
Kevin

Sent from my EVA-L09 using RIB Net mobile app
Old 27 June 2021, 14:19   #4

Town: London
Boat name: Blaster
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Engine: Honda BF150
I ran a Yamaha 90HP 2 stroke last year with fuel gauge connected all the time. My boat was a Rigid Raider, with 1-2 guests sometimes. My cruising speed was just about to keep her on the plane at 20knots and 3500rpm. The fuel consumption was 19-20 litres on very flat water and raising to 22 litres in choppy water.

I would say that 12 litres per hour on a 65hp 2 stroke is a vey good figure. I had previously ran a Honda BF20 4 stroke with 6 litres per hour on a 4.85 inflatable, you are doing well by consuming just as twice on an engine that is triple much powerful.
Old 27 June 2021, 19:00   #5

Hi
Thanks for putting my mind at ease, the boat only has a 24 ltr tank which is not enough to do a day of dotting around loch lomond so will have to change the fuel tank to a 40 ltr tank and move it up the front and also put a fuel gauge in.
Cheers kevin

Old 03 July 2021, 08:48   #6

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yammy 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsc View Post
Hi
Thanks for putting my mind at ease, the boat only has a 24 ltr tank which is not enough to do a day of dotting around loch lomond so will have to change the fuel tank to a 40 ltr tank and move it up the front and also put a fuel gauge in.
Cheers kevin

I used to just have 2 or 3 of those 24L tanks depending on how long I was going out - they're handy as you can move them about to use as ballast and are easier to lift around/fill up at a petrol station and transport in the car - maybe better than 1 40L tank, but each to their own.
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suzuki