Old 19 September 2004, 16:14   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
survival/floatation suits

No doubt discussed before but as winter is on it's way....

What is the best sort of suit to go for - ideally something breathable - cheap - and fully waterproof - ie a drysuit.

Looking at the prices they all seem to work out at over £200!

Today I was flicking through a fishing magazine and noticed loads of floatation suits for sale - they all comply with the latest ISO 15027 hypothermia regs - offer 100N of built in floatation for the larger sizes and best of all cost about £90! Sundridge SAS suit and the Fladen range look quite good.

How suitable are these suits for Ribbing? As they have quite a lot of floatation built in would a lifejacket still be needed?

http://www.btinternet.com/~mrsnellin...ationsuits.htm

http://www.yysinternational.co.uk/pages/page89.html
Old 19 September 2004, 16:23   #2

Town: Port Erin
Length: no boat
Fladen Floatation Suits

I bought a Fladen suit a couple of years ago and found it to be very comftable and warm. I think it depends upon the type of trips you are planning as the Fladen makes you feel like the Mitchelen man !, a blast around the bay and it would probably be too warm and clumberson. As I tend to cross over to Strangford Lough / Portaferry frequently, I always wear it on night crossings. I work on the basis that in the dark you are less likely to anticipate problems whereas in day light you can.
Old 19 September 2004, 16:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wriggers
I bought a Fladen suit a couple of years ago and found it to be very comftable and warm. I think it depends upon the type of trips you are planning as the Fladen makes you feel like the Mitchelen man !, a blast around the bay and it would probably be too warm and clumberson. As I tend to cross over to Strangford Lough / Portaferry frequently, I always wear it on night crossings. I work on the basis that in the dark you are less likely to anticipate problems whereas in day light you can.
Is it breathable or do you sweat like a pig>????
Old 19 September 2004, 16:37   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
66° North are market leader in the Icelandic market place and they have exported a lot to European countries and US.
Unfortunately they only have their website in Icelandic at the moment but I will call friend of mine at the company tomorrow and see who represent them in the UK.

http://www.66north.is/default.asp?vi...&cat_sub_id=65

Have a look at their website in the meantime

Bogi
Old 19 September 2004, 17:21   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Those fishing type suits are good. I use one branded "Hurricane" on dry winter days and it is brilliant. Breathability is not an issue because it is not enclosed. Too hot? Just pull the chest zip down a little for a few minutes if you need to regulate your body heat. Also quite easy to add / subtract clothing underneath, access you spare packet of fags/mobile/lighter etc.

One BIG drawback however. They tend to absorb water if persistantly splashed. If it is going to rain, or you boat is subject to constant wave splahing, then a drysuit becomes necessary, not just a desirable option.

I wear:
1. T-shirt plus fleece for hot summer cruising
2. Fishing type suit for dry, cold winter cruising
3. Drysuit always when in wet weather.
4. Offshore sailing jacket and salopettes when I cant be fagged to put my drysuit on and am likely to reach my destination real soon. This usually happens when I am single-handed, it suddenly stqarts to rain I and can shrug a sailing suit on whilst continuing to helm.
Old 19 September 2004, 18:53   #6

Brian you say they absorb water - I assume that is only if you have them open etc as they "claim" to be 100% waterproof! I should imagine it is the lining that absorbs the water - is this so?
Old 19 September 2004, 19:26   #7
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Well, they may say they are 100% waterproof, but when did anyone ever believe that!

Think about it. When it rains, and the rib moves, there is a hell of a wet wind blowing at your clothes. Water WILL enter. The neck, the sleeves, through the seams and zips, and if its really blowing, probably up your trouser legs as well.

Additionally, as your suit gets worn in, the outer, "waterproof" layer becomes progressively "weaker". Water then enters the outer layer and it soaks into the lining. Once in, yeah, it becomes waterproof in the sense that it stays in!

Companies like Ravenspring have built their business on boaters REALLY wanting to stay dry. But as I say, fishing suits are great, but they do have their limits.
Dont let me put you off, but equally, dont come snivelling to me if you get soaking wet, freezing cold, and catch something.
Old 19 September 2004, 19:32   #8

Town: Peak District
Boat name: Plastique
Make: PRO Sport
Engine: Suzuki DF115 4st.
MMSI: 235015228
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
But as I say, fishing suits are great, but don't come snivelling to me if you catch something.
He He He !
Old 19 September 2004, 20:20   #9

Quote:
Dont let me put you off, but equally, dont come snivelling to me if you get soaking wet, freezing cold, and catch something.
I thought that was what all fishermen wanted!!!!

Looks like it will have to be a pukka drysuit for me then - are there any that are breathable or does that defeat the object?
Old 19 September 2004, 20:29   #10

Length: 5m +
MMSI: Nope
This one was top of the list on a google search 'breathable drysuit uk'

http://www.everythingmarine.co.uk/product.asp?pid=64

Seems reasonable enough for the dosh. There are more expensive ones though!

The drysuit will keep you dry. You need to wear other layers beneath to stay warm. Thermals and fleeces or 'wooly bear' diving undersuits, things of that ilk.

Cheers
Robin

Oh postscript.....get a front zip entry unless you are a contortionist or always have a zip assistant.
Old 19 September 2004, 20:31   #11
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
I know that Ravenspring's and Musto's etc. are breathable.
It is my impression that any decent drysuit IS breathable.
The ones that aren't are cheap drysuits and (some?) diving drysuits.
But as you make your selection, read the blurb and ask questions about breathability.
My advice would be:
1. Yes, make damm sure it's breathable
2. Get one with hard boots attached
3. And most important of all, make sure it is fitted with a "comfort zip".
4. Good manufacturers will tailor the suit to your requirements. I personally like extra "sealed" pockets here and there. Extra strength in the bottom, knees and elbows. And I have a reinforced padded midriff section to take the constant pounding from the steering wheel and which doubles as a hand-warmer.
Old 20 September 2004, 00:20   #12

Town: Poole
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin

The drysuit will keep you dry. You need to wear other layers beneath to stay warm. Thermals and fleeces or 'wooly bear' diving undersuits, things of that ilk.
Although the suit may be breathable you need to insure that what you wear underneath is also. I suspect a wooly bear will have the same water retention abilities as the hoover dam so you'll still end up wet underneath.

I bought a Ravanspring suit last year and so far very pleased with it.

Cheers

Mark
Old 20 September 2004, 01:10   #13

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Us divers, know a bit about thermals, there are 2 makes that standout for me. I use weezle ... great undersuit expells moisture on to its outer surface so it can be breathed out of breathable drysuits. Their Web site is crap but the product is excellent:

http://www.weezle.co.uk/index.htm (See Tech Spec for description)

And these are also wonderful, however expensive and slightly kinky. These are base layers and so they are worn underneath other clothes or undersuit. However A mate of mine forgot his undersuit on a recent trip to Scapa Flow and dived in only these under his drysuit .. saying a lot for a man that does 45mins of stops!! On top of the dive thats a long time 100% submerged.

http://www.fourthelement.com/summer/technical/

These products are not cheap but well worth the money.

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2004, 07:17   #14
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
My advice would be:
1. Yes, make damm sure it's breathable
2. Get one with hard boots attached
3. And most important of all, make sure it is fitted with a "comfort zip".
I agree 100% with Brian on this.

Drysuits are expensive, and compared with conventional waterproofs take a minute or two longer to put on and take off. Having a neck seal can take a bit of getting used to as well (but if it's sized correctly you'll not notice it after a few minutes).

However, whatever perceived disadvantages there may be, if you want to guarantee that you stay dry then you need a drysuit.

I started off with a "waterproof" flotation suit, because I didn't feel that I could afford a drysuit. It's certainly warm, and it's reasonably resistant to water, but it doesn't keep you dry like a drysuit does. With hindsight it was a mistake and I should have bought a drysuit straight off.

My next purchase was a non-breathable drysuit. If the price is right and you're not planning to be wearing it all day, then one of these is still better than a flotation suit for keeping you dry.

Finally I got a breathable drysuit. I've had it for five years and wouldn't go back to anything else.

John
Old 20 September 2004, 07:39   #15

Length: 5m +
MMSI: Nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWildey
Although the suit may be breathable you need to insure that what you wear underneath is also.

Mark
Mark you are absolutely right an oversight on my part, I have been mildly moist on occasion!!
Robin
Old 20 September 2004, 07:49   #16

Town: Newfoundland
Agree that a Drysuit plus thermals is the way to go for winter ribbing. The thermals are absolutely essential as the Ravenspring type (which I heartily recommend) have no intrinsic insulation themselves. In the winter I wear thermal long johns, fleece joggers and fleece uppers. As with all technical systems you should ideally wear manmade fibre only to aid "wicking" moisture away from your skin and out of the drysuit. Natural fibres - cotton etc - retain the moisture. That being said I usually wear a T shirt of some sort without any bother.

Disagree slightly with JK - Drysuits are no more expensive than a decent set of waterproofs - £300 or so. Thing is that most people buy both as there are times when you dont want the hassle of putting on the drysuit. Its usually those times that I immediately get a dollop of briny over my head and down my neck which makes we really wish I'd put my drysuit on!
Old 20 September 2004, 08:38   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Disagree slightly with JK - Drysuits are no more expensive than a decent set of waterproofs - £300 or so.
And expensive waterproofs are expensive too!

Ribsters are likely to choose "waterproofs" (for want of a better term) for one of three reasons that I can think of:

1 They think they will keep them dry, or
2 They can't afford a drysuit, or
3 They just don't like drysuits

In case 1 they are wrong. If they have bought an expensive set of waterproofs, then they are likely to be disappointed.

In case 2 they may as well buy a cheap set of waterproofs and put the balance towards a dry suit.

In case 3 they will get wet, but it's their choice.

John
Old 20 September 2004, 08:53   #18

Town: Newfoundland
There is a 4th reason JK, and thats if you do other boating, particularly sailing you want to have a set of waterproofs as well!
Old 20 September 2004, 09:02   #19

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Mullion is coming out with a breathable thermic flotation suit know.
You can`t make a breathable thermic suit because the thermic material is in the way of the outer waterproof layer.
Mullion solved this with using like pockets where air can come into the suit but water can`t come in.
Can definetly recoemend them.
Fladen is very baggy but Mullion is more cutted so they sit much more comftable to your body.
Old 20 September 2004, 10:38   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
There is a 4th reason JK, and thats if you do other boating, particularly sailing you want to have a set of waterproofs as well!
OK then:

4 They've already got waterproofs. See comments for 3

John