Old 03 May 2007, 21:37   #1

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Summer Weather

I believe that USA have mentioned that this is a year of EL Nino.
This is on the back of what we are calling Global Warming.
Ira the Hurricane prediction Gizmo is suggesting that they will have up to 22 Hurricanes of which at least 5 will be big ones.
So it may be on the flip of a coin as to what the Jet streams will do.
We can expect that a few of these will pass south enough to drench Ireland and England.
Perhaps this is the summer so enjoy.

Any Climatologists in the house????

Signed
Armchair Weather Buff
Old 04 May 2007, 15:32   #2

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
Don't know about you, but we could certainly do with the rain...

First week of March we had so much rain we had 6" of water in the house...and absolutely no rain worth mentioning since.

Weird....
Old 04 May 2007, 15:40   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
I believe that USA have mentioned that this is a year of EL Nino.
This is on the back of what we are calling Global Warming.
Ira the Hurricane prediction Gizmo is suggesting that they will have up to 22 Hurricanes of which at least 5 will be big ones.
Well, as I recall, they said the same thing about last year, too. Warm water off the Central America coast to cause heavy rains and weird weather in the western US, and a very active east coast storm season.

Turned out to be rather colder west coast sea surface temps than normal, and a pretty much non-existent hurricane season (though to be fair, the Northwest got hammered pretty good...)

I've stopped listening to the long term forecasters; they seem to be playing the publics fear factor to garner attention.

jky
Old 05 May 2007, 23:17   #4

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Well, as I recall, they said the same thing about last year, too. Warm water off the Central America coast to cause heavy rains and weird weather in the western US, and a very active east coast storm season.

Turned out to be rather colder west coast sea surface temps than normal, and a pretty much non-existent hurricane season (though to be fair, the Northwest got hammered pretty good...)

I've stopped listening to the long term forecasters; they seem to be playing the publics fear factor to garner attention.

jky
Hi Jky, I have stopped listening to people saying "Oh I heard it was going to be a great summer" and I ask them Great, who told you. It always lacks and answer because no one said it and if they did, we would not believe them
cos we all know that they can hardly tell us yesterdays weather.

However based on Florida Hurricane prediction unit Ira saying they are expecting huricanes and more of them than usual and heavier ones at that, then we have a source and a goo one at that. Given that these tail off normally north of ireland in teh summer when the jet streams push them up there (Pity the Faroes), but sometimes the Jet streams are a little ffffed up and forget their summer job and guess what,, Yeah Rain and loads of it (remember the rain for the Ryder cup, that sort of rain and for days,,,,,)

Anyway we have a bit of a blow f8 at the moment so its on its way over to GB. Wave jumping time again lads..