Old 06 October 2007, 09:44   #1

Town: West Scotland
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 115 TLDI
Suitable RIB for diving

Hi,
I'll be upgrading my 5m Humber inflatable to a RIB early next year. It will be used primarily for diving around the Lochs and Firths of the West Coast of Scotland. More concerned with sea going ability than speed. I've been looking around for a number of manufacturers/boats. Osprey seem to have a good reputation but have probably the worst website I have ever seen, absolutely no information regarding their boats and no prices. Humber have a very good site and nice prices.

Looking for something around the 5.3/5.5 metre mark.

Looking to spend around 11-12k (boat,engine,trailer)

I could get a Humber Assault 5.3m with Tohatsu 70TLDI and trailer for about this price.
Would an Ocean Pro be a better sea boat? Any other similar priced RIBS? What would I expect to pay for something like an Osprey Viper? Any other manufacturers you would recommend?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old 06 October 2007, 09:59   #2
K&S

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Riberty
Make: xs 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: 235063328
Hi, i would recomend the Barnet Marine XS 550. I did a bit of work with the firebrigade on the Clyde last autum and was so impressed by their xs 550 that i have just placed an order this week for a XS 650.

I have also used Avon, Tornado and Humbers all of wich are good boats but the price, build and performance of the XS has convinced me.

Good luck and happy searching.

Kim
Old 06 October 2007, 16:52   #3

Make: OSPREY
We take your point about the website but have always believed actions speak louder than words! We don't give prices simply because we prefer to build a boat to the customer's specification - you tell us what you want and we'll tell you how much! There are so many different options and everybody wants something different so each boat is custom built. We have several boats available in North Wales if you'd like a demonstration and Roy is always happy to talk about all the various options so why not give us a ring - the numbers are on the website, or give us your number and we'll call you.
Old 06 October 2007, 17:40   #4

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Hi

If your sticking with Humber, then I would recommend the Destroyer (2.28 beam) nearly the same beam as the Ocean Pro (2.34) and 30cm wider than the assault (2.0). The destroyers a great all rounder, I am personally running a 5.5 Destroyer with 75hp and it pulling over 35knots 3 up.

We currently have an ex demo (under 8 hours) 5.5 Humber Destroyer with 75hp Optimax, Roller Trailer, A Frame, Sport Console, nav lights, 90l fuel tank for £12995 inc vat delivered UK mainland and would be pleased to part exchange your humber.

Hope the above helps.

Jono
Old 07 October 2007, 06:53   #5

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
5.5m Destroyer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.5 Dark Blue (12).JPG
Views:	408
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	30488   Click image for larger version

Name:	humber.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	30489  
Old 07 October 2007, 08:57   #6

Town: West Scotland
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Engine: Tohatsu 115 TLDI
Thanks for the info so far. This is a great site for info. With all the different hull forms, build options, engines available my brain is starting to hurt. Jono, I won't be looking to buy until the spring but I'll definately have a look on your website when I do. The Osprey Viper 5.25 and XS 5.4 look great just need to check on prices/options etc. If I was to go down the Humber route then the general concensus (reading various threads on here) is to avoid the Assault with its shallow V hull, good for getting on the plane quickly but not so good at gripping the water and taking bigger swells. The Destroyer 5.3 looks like a good option. On current pricing could get one with all the stuff I'm looking for (90 ltr console mounted fuel tank, A Frame, extra tube protection) for around £6400, which isn't too obscene. Couple that with a 70 or 90 HP Tohatsu TLDI and Snipe braked trailer and I'm still just about on budget.