Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Remember the quoted "will carry boats up to Xm" assumes hard hulls. Your toob cones & bow overhangs will probably increase (or subtract when it comes to trailer rollers) about a metre or so. That's why mine is a unique build - I got a braked axle on a smaller trailer. Also got 10" wheels for a bit more headroom through the door.......

I also reverse in to solve the "frame meets up & over door" problem - and have a length of old carpet underlay down the back wall to protect the engine. When the casing touches, there is a 1/2" gap between hitch & door.

Sounds like your garage is about 30cm shorter than mine. Which from memory is about the difference in length between a braked & unbraked hitch. You might just get an O-pro in there!
The trouble with the garage - is there's a concrete step into the utility room. Short of taking a sledge-hammer to it, then it's there to stay. I normally put it in bow first. As Downhilldai suggests - there's space around the bow for everything else in the garage that's been scattered to all four corners of the house!
Old 18 May 2010, 22:30   #42

Town: Aberdeenshire
RIBase
I said I'd post details regards the Ribquest 4.8m commercial.

It's already over my budget, but it's a fantastic boat. It has a deep v, 24 degree bow deadrise, 2.2m beam, 450m hypalon tubes, tread patches, umbilical trunking and raised turret at the stern, raised anchor bow locker and hatch.

I didn't think there was a disadvantage with this boat, but I've just discovered it weighs 440kg (without fuel). That's a lot more than I'd anticipated. Apart from towing and retrieval, I'll have the small, yet arduous task of hauling it in the garage single-handed. Add on the 115kg outboard, and it's already over half a ton!

To put this into context the Humber 5.0m Ocean Pro (2.0m beam - based on Attaque) is only 280kg!
Old 18 May 2010, 23:52   #43
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
... it weighs 440kg (without fuel).... is only 280kg!
thats quite a difference - are you comparing like with like? i.e. hull+console+tubes+battery+fuel tank (empty)+other stuff?
Old 19 May 2010, 00:16   #44

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Do you have a slope into your garage?
If not, then a 750kg rig is a piece of pi$$ to manhandle around the driveway and into the garage.
Old 19 May 2010, 08:41   #45

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
The downside of this is having to have clear space all the way to the back wall of the garage. If you can get away with 'bow first', this allows some storage room alongside the pointy bits of the boat.
Yeah, agreed, but I also have the dissadvantage of a nice steep hill as soon as I leave the garage, so it's a case of reverse in or never get it back out....... Oh, and move the lawnmower out the way first!

Quote:
An overhead sectional garage door hardly intrudes when opening/closing, in the way up & over doors do.
Yeah, I have looked at them for that very reason. Thankfully the geometry of the approach slope means the door is the least of my worries. It's the skeg / floor meeting if I go too far out without lifting the engine that is my biggest problem.......
Old 19 May 2010, 09:17   #46

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Yeah, agreed, but I also have the dissadvantage of a nice steep hill as soon as I leave the garage, so it's a case of reverse in or never get it back out....... Oh, and move the lawnmower out the way first!

Yeah, I have looked at them for that very reason. Thankfully the geometry of the approach slope means the door is the least of my worries. It's the skeg / floor meeting if I go too far out without lifting the engine that is my biggest problem.......
Move house man.
Old 19 May 2010, 10:56   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Move house man.
That's the easiest option.
Old 19 May 2010, 13:41   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Move house man.
s*d that for a laugh. It's not been long enough to forget why I don't want to do it again!

The main reason we're there is that it was only supposed to be a "lick of paint & move in" job.

I can live with reversing in, seeing as the aforementioned cr@p that you use the pointy bit to store can live in the other side and in the rafters! (the other reason for choosing that house)
Old 19 May 2010, 13:57   #49

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
thats quite a difference - are you comparing like with like? i.e. hull+console+tubes+battery+fuel tank (empty)+other stuff?
As much as I can Polwart.

The basic criteria has always been a moderate to deep V, double-jockey seats and console, powered by a Tohatsu 60hp (2-stroke) long shaft, and must fit within the garage which is 18' exactly. Fuel will be two 25 litre portable tanks for inclusion either in the console or under the seat pods.

The boat will be pulled by a Audi Quattro Avant 2.5TDi. It's a natural load-lugger, but it does drop onto the rear springs when you hitch up. The driveway has a very gradual slope down, followed by 1/2" concrete lip to go over on entry into the garage. I've been used to a Zodiac Pro (181kg), Yamaha 40hp engine (80kg), trailer (230kg), auxilliary and fuel, probably another 30kg. That's over 1/2 tonne, give or take.

The Ribquest is coming in over budget and I haven't even allowed for fitting the engine (I can do myself - but need to hire a engine hoist), new battery, another fuel tank, and other bits and bobs. The 440kg weight does worry me, as I don't want the Tohatsu to struggle, especially with 2-3 adults on board.

I'm also considering the Destroyer and Ocean Pro (2.0m beam) - although it's dependant on the price Humber come back with. Also in the picture is the Ribcraft 4.8m with looks great.

This boat is going to have to do me for at least 10 years! I'm not planning on moving, but obviously as funds allow I can add electronics, auxilliary engine, etc.
Old 19 May 2010, 14:09   #50

Quote:
I haven't even allowed for fitting the engine (I can do myself - but need to hire a engine hoist)
No you don't - the Twatsoo 60 is light as a feather.
Old 19 May 2010, 15:18   #51

Yeah, assuming you are reasonably fit, it is possible to mount a 60 single handed. I managed it with thre Merc, but wouldn't think it would have been an approved method by any helath & safety peeps.

If there's two of you then it's easy. If you can't or would rather not lift, if one stands with the engine, you can use the trailer jockey wheel to "jack" the boat up under it & scoop it onto the transom. Just be careful as it's sat on the skeg. .
Old 19 May 2010, 20:37   #52

RIBase
Quote:
Yeah, assuming you are reasonably fit, it is possible to mount a 60 single handed. I managed it with the Merc, but wouldn't think it would have been an approved method by any health & safety peeps.

If there's two of you then it's easy. If you can't or would rather not lift, if one stands with the engine, you can use the trailer jockey wheel to "jack" the boat up under it & scoop it onto the transom. Just be careful as it's sat on the skeg.
Good idea.

My brother and I manhandled it onto an outboard stand I made over winter. It's a 'heavy hoor' even with my Weetabix!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tohatsu.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	51241  
Old 19 May 2010, 23:36   #53

That stand's a touch on the tall side - watch you don't bang your head on the skeg!
Take care when you lower it down to the transom, 'cos outboards are notoriously top heavy and it could easily topple over from that height.
Old 20 May 2010, 08:46   #54

RIBase
Quote:
That stand's a touch on the tall side - watch you don't bang your head on the skeg!
Take care when you lower it down to the transom, 'cos outboards are notoriously top heavy and it could easily topple over from that height.
Think I must have mixed my imperial measurements with metric! It's off the ground - that's all I was worried about. I'm going to recycled the timber from the outboard stand and make a log cabin. Probably have enough left over for decking and a summer-house!
Old 20 May 2010, 11:11   #55

Quote:
I'm going to recycled the timber from the outboard stand and make a log cabin. Probably have enough left over for decking and a summer-house!
......and an outboard stand.
Old 29 May 2010, 09:31   #56

RIBase
Ive now received quotes for four boats, the Ribquest 4.8m, the Ribcraft 4.8m, the Humber Ocean Pro 5.0m (2.0m beam) and the Humber Destroyer. The Ribquest is the most expensive by about a grand, and is the heaviest of the four weighing in at 411kg.

The Ribcraft (I've upgraded specification) to include wrap-round console screen and stainless steel grab-rail, double-jockey set-up with back bolsters, four pimplegrip tread-patches and six grab handles on the sponsons, fuel filter, outboard lock, and a spare-wheel. This is my preferred boat as the Tohatsu 60hp is perfectly matched to maximum hp rating and only weighs 115kg. Can anyone confirm boat weight, Ribcraft quote 210kg - bare boat and tubes. However add in console and jockey set-up - 280kg?

I like the Humber Destroyer, but feel my engine is going to struggle to get the best from her. She's no size zero weighing in at 315kg. It's rated for 90hp (135kg). She would be the best in the rough stuff and would be firmly planted.

Any reason I should still consider the Humber Ocean Pro? The only additional specification I added is double-jockey and back bolsters. It comes with four moulded grab handles, bow locker, etc. It's rated for 80hp (153kg). Boat weight is 280kg.
Old 29 May 2010, 09:55   #57

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Tornado
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Suzuki
I my humble opinion, what is there to think about, go and order your RIBCRAFT NOW !

Great boat, Manufacturered here in the UK (you can go and watch it being made !)
great sea handling,
Fantastic resale price holding (I once owned one for 5 years and lost £750 when I sold it)

I have yet to find a boat that I like more and have tried many !
and it is a perfect match for your engine.

Ribcraft after sales service is also excellent.

Dig deep in yer pocket and buy it !
Old 29 May 2010, 10:24   #58

Quote:
....(I've upgraded specification) to include wrap-round console screen and stainless steel grab-rail,
I bet that hurt?
Old 29 May 2010, 10:26   #59

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahscottiedog View Post
I my humble opinion, what is there to think about, go and order your RIBCRAFT NOW !
Out of the three, I think I agree.
Old 29 May 2010, 21:29   #60

RIBase
Quote:
I bet that hurt?
You could say. Could have bought an A-frame and had enough change left over for a deposit on a stainless prop!