Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjytaylor
This mornings bright idea club at Wpnsa (Olympic sailing venue Portland) it happens almost every day. The national coaches are the worst offenders of prepping boats on the slipway
For what they charge at Portland, the trailer owner probably thought he'd bought the slip.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2012, 10:58   #22

Town: weymouth
Boat name: Amelia
Make: Atlantic, Searider's
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225hp, 90hp
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1525573024.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	68521

24th may 1156 - Spanish team preparing there rib on the slip.
Please note the trailer board discarded in the middle preventing any possible use for other people. Grrrr
I could keep these coming every day
Old 24 May 2012, 10:59   #23

Quote:
This mornings bright idea club at Wpnsa (Olympic sailing venue Portland) it happens almost every day. The national coaches are the worst offenders of prepping boats on the slipway
On a positive note the abandoned trailer has been moved
Old 24 May 2012, 12:54   #24

Town: North Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mary Olwen
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: OB, Petrol, 140HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjytaylor View Post
Attachment 68521

24th may 1156 - Spanish team preparing there rib on the slip.
Please note the trailer board discarded in the middle preventing any possible use for other people. Grrrr
That dog's looking at me in a funny way.............
Old 24 May 2012, 15:22   #25

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Sadly, tw@ts like this are everywhere. I try to take the time to sit and enjoy their antics - it's less stressful than trying to chivvy them and probably annoys them more.
Exactly my approach - why let 'them' annoy you to the point where you may distracted and break something or let them spoil your day .

As Ian M said its actually a pleasant way to spend an hour or watching just watching ! Infact with all this talk of olympics and scorecards - surely we can get it included as an event down in Weymouth.

scoring based on ;

Technical lack of skill
Swearing and shouting
Overall inconvenience to everyone else
(In)ability to reverse
Old 24 May 2012, 15:28   #26

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Had a few yuppie types back onto the ramp and begin to assemble the mast of their saiboat. After a half hour, they launched, and sailed off out of the marina leaving the trailer in the water.

Quite a few fishermen had words with them when they sailed back in; their response was that they were only going to be out for 45 minutes or so, and didn't want to have to pay for parking. I was kind of surprised they didn't return to pile of smoking ruins.

jky
Old 24 May 2012, 15:53   #27

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM

As Ian M said its actually a pleasant way to spend an hour or watching just watching !
Which is great if you have time to kill, but if the slip
Is drying or you have slack to catch..........
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2012, 15:56   #28

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Which is great if you have time to kill, but if the slip
Is drying or you have slack to catch..........
Of course - but on the day I dont have time to actually get the boat out but have anhour or so free - its pure entertainment .

Conversaly I've seen some absolute 1st rate clever , skilled stuff .
Old 24 May 2012, 16:07   #29

Town: Plymouth
Quote:

Go on then it'll make for an interesting thread

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 24 May 2012, 16:44   #30

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Some of our launch ramps have bleachers for enjoying boat ramp follies

Just wait until you are pulling up to your trailer and the guy next to you puts his boat on your trailer because he doesn't know how to drive

My last boat we had it down to a science, and the trailer would not be in the water for more than 20 seconds launching or recovering. The current SIB takes a little more time, but still reasonable.
Old 24 May 2012, 17:46   #31

Town: livingston
Boat name: the massive
Make: valiant
Engine: honda BF115
MMSI: 235092322
RIBase
Guys

Yes we all see idiots and selfish behaviour but sometimes a slow launch is because the guy is inexperienced. It must be wonderful being able to launch so quickly. I have driven ribs for 20+ years but I have only been towing and launching my own rib for 2 years so I still take 15 mins with a long rope or 10 mins if I can get the trailer deep enough with the car. Launching for me is the most stressful part and its ten times worse when you have experts standing there thinking that you are a Tw@t. I never get the boat onto the ramp until its ready to go so I minimise the delays. On Sat I was reversing back to launch and 2 laser pilots suddenly dived in the way with their trolleys to then start stepping their masts...unbelievable. Then when I was recovering a rib stopped across my wife when she was making the approach to the trailer so its not just the sailors.
Lets support each other and if you see someone struggling lend a hand and if they are a cheeky git then chin them!.....here endeth the sermon!
Old 24 May 2012, 18:08   #32

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack101
here endeth the sermon!
I think you have the wrong end of said stick.

We are not moaning about those that take a little bit of time to launch. Its the selfish ones who decide to spend half hour prepping their boat on the slip then walking off to pay for parking, stopping for a smoke on the way, having a chat, quick piss break, you get the idea.

Indeed if i see someone struggling or see someone that needs a hand i always offer. you never know when you need the return favour. But then again it does raise a smile when some get it horribly wrong......they even laugh themselves on occasions.
Old 24 May 2012, 19:18   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards

Go on then it'll make for an interesting thread

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
I best not put to many on. Might upset a few. I stress the importance of preparation and consideration to others on launch and recovery during my PB2 course's. Often walkingto the boat the students start laughing and state, so that's what not to do then. 
Old 24 May 2012, 19:23   #34

Mind you, we log every launch and recovery and I personally did over 500 last season often twice a day, so it does become easy to get annoye when they do it all on the slip. I often end up doing it for them or giving them some pointers
Old 24 May 2012, 20:39   #35

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack101 View Post
and its ten times worse when you have experts standing there thinking that you are a Tw@t. I never get the boat onto the ramp until its ready to go so I minimise the delays.
Well thats half your problem solved already if you are prepared, I'd always help a mate who looked like he'd got the stuff organised when he was on the slip, the wind can cheat any of us , for example, and its a pain in the ass when it does .. and I'd jump to help, ... but as mentioned, its the tossers who get there, and then take the cover off, and inspect 3 months of debris, probaly including last seasons beer cans inside the boat the really burst my tits
Old 25 May 2012, 07:34   #36

Town: Taunton
Boat name: K-OS 2
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Evinrude 90 Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack101 View Post
Guys

Yes we all see idiots and selfish behaviour but sometimes a slow launch is because the guy is inexperienced. It must be wonderful being able to launch so quickly. I have driven ribs for 20+ years but I have only been towing and launching my own rib for 2 years so I still take 15 mins with a long rope or 10 mins if I can get the trailer deep enough with the car. Launching for me is the most stressful part and its ten times worse when you have experts standing there thinking that you are a Tw@t. I never get the boat onto the ramp until its ready to go so I minimise the delays. On Sat I was reversing back to launch and 2 laser pilots suddenly dived in the way with their trolleys to then start stepping their masts...unbelievable. Then when I was recovering a rib stopped across my wife when she was making the approach to the trailer so its not just the sailors.
Lets support each other and if you see someone struggling lend a hand and if they are a cheeky git then chin them!.....here endeth the sermon!
Macattack, I have every sympathy for you however for me it is not folk who are struggling ,as everyone has done at some point, I am more than happy to wait/help esp if the people having the trouble are aware they might be holding you up. The ones that get me are the ones with no awareness of anyone else on the planet,let alone the slipway, only they exist in their little world, totally selfish. I find it hard to believe that they are SO unaware of everyone else.

When we first started with RIBS the launch and retrieve were by far the most stressfull parts of the day and I would do everything I could to spend as little time as possible on the slipway, therefore irritating as few people as possible.

Now I have much experience I wait for the selfish gits to finish unstrapping, getting the electrics off, putting on fuel, putting on lifejackets, smoking a fag, feeding the dog whilst in the very middle of the slip, I then launch after them with the minimum of fuss spending as little time on the slip as poss to show them how it should be done......do they notice......naaaaa !!

So basically I reckon as long as you are aware of other slip users and willing to ask for help if you are struggling then you will be ok and in my experience others are normally delighted to help out, if they aint that makes them just as bad as the selfish idiots !!
Old 28 May 2012, 18:09   #37

RIBase
Guys I wasn't trying to send you on a guilt trip.
Well after seeing the speeds that you guys launch at I thought I would go for my record time for launching at my first outing to Loch Lomond and I got it to under 2 mins to launch and recover including the reverse down the slip which now is actually straight rather than my initial reverses which looked like a pissed snake! Very proud of myself.
But I also saw a lot of people that I would not trust to drive a skateboard.....nightmare. I saw one boat slam into another empty boat then just bugger off into the distance. It was chaos!
Old 28 May 2012, 18:22   #38

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
mostly it's just my much better half and me when we go out, so to make for a easy day we now pay for launch and recovery, it's takes all the stress out of the day and we even have a laugh with chris at ty clach, best thing we have ever done, thanks chris
Old 28 May 2012, 18:31   #39

Town: Plymouth
Sat today waiting at the 2 boat slip for a guy with a speedboat to shift from smack in the middle of the top. He seen me waiting but still carried on faffing around. He was even blocking the through road.

After about 5 mins of waiting for him to work out how to use his ratchet strap I ended up getting out and doing it for him, teaching him for next time. He then said he had recently bought it as his first boat but had to recover early as his steering was seized over the winter.

I ended up fixing it at the slip for him too then recovered our boat, ready to tow home and he was still there tinkering. When he asked for some pointers for next time I politely suggested he park to one side to allow others access as not everybody would be as patient as I was today.

I think it's a national thing
Old 28 May 2012, 18:47   #40

RIBase
That guy will remember for next time and hopefully spread the help around. It still amazes me that you can buy a boat and go straight out with no training or insurance. I was surprised that there was no towing or launching in the PB courses I did.