Old 15 August 2007, 16:32   #21

Saw you at the Royal Navy Sailing Association drinks last week, assume you were with girlfriend - Will said hello to you I think - I was being bored shitless by a navy engineer so didnt get chance.. [/QUOTE]

Pity you didnt come and say hullo. Would have loved to put the face to the threads!

I wish they would get the drinks party back to the Squadron! Seem to get a lot more grub there for your £20.

I did bump into Will and before at Gunwharf when he had just taken a nice little black market charter ouf of Gosport! S**t better not say anymore there could be hysteria!!!
Old 15 August 2007, 16:35   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

Just because no one gets reported for it doesn't mean its lawful. The Judge and the job will throw the book at you if you get it wrong.

A lot of this myth around the blue light is down to the general publics ignorance.
Not sure this quite happened with that Brazilian on the tube! Public service can literally get away with murder sometimes!

I also heard that the speed limit doesnt apply to Sunseeker is this true?
Old 15 August 2007, 16:47   #23

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Billy Whizz II
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
So once again it's one law for them and one law for us - why didn't the harbour master report them I wonder???
I guess it is the same as the aviation rules. The rules that apply to civilians, eg no less than 500' over person, vessel or structure do not apply to mil. I feel this first hand as my house sits under one of their training routes, every couple of weeks chinooks carrying no lights clip my chimney with 100' max to spare. Scares the bejesus out of the sheep.
Old 15 August 2007, 16:51   #24

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Quite agree - HMS Daring looks quite spectacular. However we saw TWO of these coming into Poole harbour last Thursday evening. They are just beasts !! Both overtook us (on an Elan 333 at the time) and then once they'd rounded the North haven beacon just opened up the engine and flippin' 'eck were they fast.

They then had a race up the main channel towards their base - needless to say that they tend not to take too much notice of the 10 knt speed limit in the harbour.
So what are "these" ?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2007, 17:02   #25

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
Just so you are all aware - there is an MOD exemption from the speed limit in Poole Harbour for the RM of 1 asst brgd - the vessels you saw coming in are soon to be retired as they are utter pigs to helm and are a nightmare to keep serviceable - the new upgrades are much better... they put a huge grin on your face and sound wicked also....

Regarding Sunseeker.... utter nonsense - we have a test run in poole harbour from the Turning Basin to Hutchins and can only be used with prior permission of port control.. any one can use it during the week.. it is not available at weekends...

We now have CCTV covering most of the harbour and have done 2 prosecutions this season so far...and the police nicked a jet-skier this weekend for stolen property - inter agency catch...... :-0

Im one of the summer coxswains for PHC on various bits of kit....
Old 15 August 2007, 18:40   #26

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
yep, missed out on food too and the museum doesnt really compare to the squadron..the charter was legit honest - got a knackered old sigma 33 from sigma33charters.co.uk for a steal considering it was cowes week - served us well as a floating b&b and cost next to nothing...
Old 15 August 2007, 18:57   #27

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
So what are "these" ?
I was under the impression that they were supposed to be the new stealth boat for the SBS - but nikster's post would seem to suggest not. From what I've seen they may be stealth to radar but as long as you are not deaf as a post you'd hear them from several miles off . They don't half roar

Also a member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2007, 22:41   #28

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBarker View Post
I feel this first hand as my house sits under one of their training routes, every couple of weeks chinooks carrying no lights clip my chimney with 100' max to spare. Scares the bejesus out of the sheep.
I take it all the slates have been 'pumped' off your roof then?
Old 17 August 2007, 10:02   #29

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...&nbram=1&asb=1

HMS Daring in service at last - wouldn't mind seeing it up close. Supposed to be the World's most advanced warship - the missles reach mach 5!!!

Brief glimpse of it's RIB in action during a MOB trial - looks pretty quick but too far away to see what it is.
It's been doing sea trial here for about 3 weeks. Amazing bit of kit, was doing full speed turns on Monday and some stop to full speed to stops again. Awsome.
Andy
Old 17 August 2007, 10:17   #30

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911 View Post
how do you know the reasons behind their speeds or whether its justified or not?

One call to the base and you'd get someone apologising for the inconvenience politely to you and bugger all would change....

and what's wrong with their being different rules for military and civilians? Happens on the motorway, in the air and at sea, so why not in a harbour - I'd guess the helms of the poole boats are slightly more able than a large percentage of the clowns on ribs who used cowes as a racetrack last week.
i am not aware of forces folks being able to flount the laws on motorways and british roads, it was always looked on dimly by the powers if you were caught

but as for the sbs racing around on the seas, as long as it is done safely and noneones life is at risk then fine by me
Old 17 August 2007, 10:32   #31

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
i am not aware of forces folks being able to flount the laws on motorways and british roads,....
Flouting the Law?.... or just different Laws applying?
Old 17 August 2007, 12:55   #32

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Engine: large
these cabs have been around for quite a while and they are not the Stealth boats at all - the current stealth ones only come out at night and are kept in the sheds during the day - the rules in Poole harbour for the RM have been in force for years and we dont really have a problem with ops other than families day when they use the water ski area near to rockley - then we have about 50 complaints...