Old 16 October 2008, 10:35   #1

Town: Sunshine Coast, Aus.
Boat name: Rubber Dolly
Make: Ribtec 585
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury F115 Efi
Stripping Antifoul?

I've tried finding the definitive answer but not had any joy - I've no doubt this has been asked before.

I've got a Ribtec 585 which has been very well undersealed, from new - approx 3 years ago, it looks like it was well keyed and a good quality anti-foul has been used.

But now it looks scummy and its rough, slows her down and i don't have any plans to leave her in the water, so it may as well come off.

Can anyone suggest the best way to remove it? Does a high pressure washer do the job? Is there a jollop of some sort which works well?

Any advice welcomed before I spend a load of unneccessary time and effort doing it the wrong way!

Russ
Old 16 October 2008, 10:55   #2
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
It's a pain in the backside, and if it's got allot of growth on it, it's even harder.
My brothers boat was moored in the river seiont next to carnarvon castle for a few years. Even after a blast through the swellies and up into dickies yard to be lifted, it was still very bad.
We found scraping/knocking any growth off first, then use a jetwash and then if all else fails try buffing it off. But watch out when buffing as it's very easy to go to far with it.
Old 16 October 2008, 12:33   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Get a decent scraper and start off with that. Once you've got all the major stuff off hire a high power hot pressure washer and give it a blast with that. That should leave you with a decent surface. You could then either sand and repaint, or strip it back. Stripping it totally off as has been said is going to be a complete pain. I did it on a 3m RIB once and it took ages! With the 3m it was easy as I could flip it over and work on the hull but with your rib its going to be even harder with it on a trailer. Once you've got it all off you'll need to abrade it to very smooth and then compound and polish it. If I were you I'd just re-antifoul!
Old 16 October 2008, 12:46   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Hand scraper, sand, prime and paint and wait 2 weeks for it to harden off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat-2.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	38179   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat-3.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	38180   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat-4.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	38181  
Old 16 October 2008, 14:08   #5

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Hi,

We had exactly the same issue on a Ribcraft 585. In the end it was sand blasted off and polished. I also had the imperfections filled and polished.

It was expensive, but the hull is as new.

Since we dry stack, I cringed every time I saw it lifted.

Well worth the money in my book.

We used Hayling Yacht Sevices who did it on time and on budget.

pm me if you want more info.
Old 16 October 2008, 14:34   #6

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
My last rib was a/fouled. Rather than go to all of that effort, i'd do a nice job of re-antifouling it. Use International interspeed, mask it carefully and apply with a gloss roller. It'll look ok and if you should give it a scratch, it's a doddle to sort it.
Old 16 October 2008, 15:18   #7

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
I recently used internationals remover! I did the transom face only, had probably 3 or 4 layers on it and the top layer was very flakey!

It took me about 2-3 hours and i ended up finishing off with acetone! But i used over half a 25quid pot and found it was easy to catch the edges and chine lines. Good finish though!

To do my hull would have cost a fortune and i think my arms would have looked like arny and my nose like daniella westbrook!

While in a petrol station i saw a company called anti foul removal company! I asked the guy and he said they charge £15 a foot if i remember correct! SO if ya want a pro job it would probably cost in against the international gloop!
Old 16 October 2008, 17:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
I recently used internationals remover! I did the transom face only, had probably 3 or 4 layers on it and the top layer was very flakey!

It took me about 2-3 hours and i ended up finishing off with acetone! But i used over half a 25quid pot and found it was easy to catch the edges and chine lines. Good finish though!

To do my hull would have cost a fortune and i think my arms would have looked like arny and my nose like daniella westbrook!

While in a petrol station i saw a company called anti foul removal company! I asked the guy and he said they charge £15 a foot if i remember correct! SO if ya want a pro job it would probably cost in against the international gloop!
The prob is that if the a/foul was properly applied the hull would have been keyed with abrasive paper. A coat of primer, then the a/fouling, so removing all of that isn't ever going to get back to a shiney 'as new' gelcoat finish.
Unless one goes in for hours of filling sanding and polishing.

Antifouling removers are to remove the 'build-up' of layers to get back to the hull for a fresh coat. Too many layers over seasons causes flaking.
Old 16 October 2008, 20:58   #9

Town: Sunshine Coast, Aus.
Boat name: Rubber Dolly
Make: Ribtec 585
Engine: Mercury F115 Efi
So i guess my best bet would be to use pressure washers and elbow grease to get the old stuff off and make a nice job of repainting it with a decent anti foul.

Devils brew, once its on, you're committed for life!
Old 16 October 2008, 21:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoveRuss View Post
So i guess my best bet would be to use pressure washers and elbow grease to get the old stuff off and make a nice job of repainting it with a decent anti foul.

Devils brew, once its on, you're committed for life!
Yep, that's about it in my view.
Old 17 October 2008, 12:29   #11

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Buit if you're lucky and it hasn't been keyed before application.......

I've just removed half of one side of mine in about an aftenoon with an assortment of paint scrapers, did a trial sanding with wet'n'dry using ever increasing grade on the first few feet, and apart from a couple of deep gouges in the gelcoat hidden by the antifouling, it has come up remarkably well.
Old 22 October 2008, 10:06   #12

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
There are a few companies that use blasting with bicarb of soda, leaves a better finish than sandblasting (can be polished back to a decent shine) and isn't too expensive.
Old 22 October 2008, 11:16   #13

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
The best way to clean ti all off is to use Dry Ice/CO2 blasting - very little mess either. There are more and more firms appearing offering this service.