Old 29 November 2012, 21:11   #1

Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Rapid
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Mariner FS
MMSI: 235072903
Stolen Engine

Overnight on Sunday / Monday 25/26 Nov 2012 my Optimax 150 was stolen from the transom of my RIB on Hayling Island. Thieves went to the trouble of cutting through 3 stock wire fences and entered my property across two pony paddocks bringing with them some kind of wheeled device I suppose to cart the engine off to their van. They also made off with an Ifor Williams plant trailer. Police have been informed.
I doubt that this engine will turn up in the UK however if anyone is comes across or is offered a cheap well maintained optimax 150 without any serial numbers etc, please let me know or advise your local police.

Model 150 Mercury Optimax 2005 model serial number 1B242848.

You may not be aware but outboard theft seems to be rife, whatever security you have its worth checking that your kit is secure. This wasnt a random visit it must have been planned, therefore thieves are carrying out some kind of reconnaissance.
Old 29 November 2012, 21:23   #2

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
It's called "casing".
Have you been selling a car, had building quotes, window upgrades, estate agent valuations, at-home-car servicing/dent repairs, new cleaners?
All these are used to value your assets and provide access info.
Frightening, because you are left wondering who you can trust.
At Hayling Island there is a very strong chance that you would have been followed from the slip due to the intense activity and general proximity of user/owners and lack of moorings for big RIBS, meaning owners live close by. Google helps them.
Old 29 November 2012, 21:31   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Yep .. the most plausible types can be the ones .. you just dont know ? .. time to get some shotgun bangers around your property .. dogs .. floodlights .. cctv which can be very discreet and a pick axe handle to hand .. incase you see the fu*kers
Old 29 November 2012, 21:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Yep .. the most plausible types can be the ones .. you just dont know ? .. time to get some shotgun bangers around your property .. dogs .. floodlights .. cctv which can be very discreet and a pick axe handle to hand .. incase you see the fu*kers
Have dogs, floodlights, they knew where the PIR was and swerved around that. Also picked really crap weather blowing old boots and chucking it down. They left a 200HP 4S Suzuki on my mates boat, needless to say thats been moved. Good idea on the bangers and CCTV.
Old 29 November 2012, 21:41   #5

I've got to say, very cheap and easily fitted and weatherproof webcams are a fantastic idea. You can bung them anywhere as long as you have bluetooth and a live weblink.
The beauty is that you can monitor them whilst away and also from your handheld.
Imagine if there was one sitting above the RIB. The resolution is great and infra red offer night-view. You don't need motion sensors as these have such a low draw and are on all the time. Many are now so small that the lens is the size of a panelling nail and rechargeable battery life is months.
Old 29 November 2012, 21:41   #6

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Mick, sounds just like when 2 of my engines were stolen a few months ago from a yard in Southampton. They cut through two fences and made off with a total of three engines on foot over a steep railway embankment. They too must have "cased" the joint so they knew where to come in, where the cameras were etc. Post your serial number on here in case anyone googles it. One of mine was found in Poland by someone who googled the serial number with a view to buying it. Unfortunately it disappeared too quickly for the police to catch up, but you might have better luck!
Old 29 November 2012, 21:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
I've got to say, very cheap and easily fitted and weatherproof webcams are a fantastic idea. You can bung them anywhere as long as you have bluetooth and a live weblink.
The beauty is that you can monitor them whilst away and also from your handheld.
Imagine if there was one sitting above the RIB. The resolution is great and infra red offer night-view. You don't need motion sensors as these have such a low draw and are on all the time. Many are now so small that the lens is the size of a panelling nail and rechargeable battery life is months.
Thanks for the information, will have to look at this type of tech
Old 29 November 2012, 21:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Mick, sounds just like when 2 of my engines were stolen a few months ago from a yard in Southampton. They cut through two fences and made off with a total of three engines on foot over a steep railway embankment. They too must have "cased" the joint so they knew where to come in, where the cameras were etc. Post your serial number on here in case anyone googles it. One of mine was found in Poland by someone who googled the serial number with a view to buying it. Unfortunately it disappeared too quickly for the police to catch up, but you might have better luck!
Thank you for the tip - serial number is on the initial post. We live in hope.
Old 29 November 2012, 21:46   #9

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Balch View Post
Have dogs, floodlights, they knew where the PIR was and swerved around that. Also picked really crap weather blowing old boots and chucking it down. They left a 200HP 4S Suzuki on my mates boat, needless to say thats been moved. Good idea on the bangers and CCTV.
These are the fellows .. they do the trigger mechanisms too

12 Bore Saluting Blanks (per 12) [3687Y ] - £6.95 : Henry Krank, Everything for shooters and collectors

Have to say .. bad weather usually means the scum wont get out of bed ? .. I'm surprised by that .. they must be a determined outfit
Old 29 November 2012, 22:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Balch View Post
Thanks for the information, will have to look at this type of tech
There's an evolution of monitoring going on at the moment.

A while back it was CCTV which was specifically for security but then parallel tech aligned. Baby monitors then became the garage CCTVs of choice due to price and sound/motion activation. Webcams now are the best level of video asset that is flexible due to location, rigging, cost, durability and expansion on offer right now.......
Mount a couple onto your console, back and front and you will have live streaming of your voyage onto your handheld available also.
It's a very versatile platform. Esp if you attach some clunky looking "dummy" CCTV cameras to your property that will be disabled by said shisters to prevent them being caught.

Old 30 November 2012, 08:09   #11

Town: River Hamble
We are fitting more tracers these days, they are getting cheaper to buy and monitor. I think more insurance companies should start to offer discounts if one is professionally fitted.
Rib and outboard tracker
Old 30 November 2012, 08:36   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribshop View Post
We are fitting more tracers these days, they are getting cheaper to buy and monitor. I think more insurance companies should start to offer discounts if one is professionally fitted.
Rib and outboard tracker
Kieron, you hit the nail on the head, IF insurances companies offered good discounts for trackers fitted properly, i.e to Thatcham standards or similar.
Old 30 November 2012, 09:55   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Excellent idea to google any engine your thinking of buying.... Previously I wouldn't have thought of that! Definitely a top tip for all my future purchases to help try and stop these low life's!!
Old 30 November 2012, 16:29   #14

Town: cuan ferry
Boat name: spartan
Make: humber
Engine: yamaha F115
Engine theft

Heres an idea remove fly wheel for winter, store in your house.place sticker no outside of cover that the flywheel has been removed. it might deter theft.
Old 30 November 2012, 16:42   #15

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I'm pretty certain this has come up on here before & removing the cowl replacing it with a cover then taking the cowl home sounds like a good idea. The thieves would find it tricky selling an engine with no cowl & they're expensive to replace but easy to remove + store!!!!
Just don't forget to take it when you go to the boat.........
Old 30 November 2012, 19:58   #16

Town: Bangor, Co Down
Boat name: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Make: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Engine: Yamaha F40, Merc 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
I'm pretty certain this has come up on here before & removing the cowl replacing it with a cover then taking the cowl home sounds like a good idea. The thieves would find it tricky selling an engine with no cowl & they're expensive to replace but easy to remove + store!!!!
Just don't forget to take it when you go to the boat.........

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...xAeAdwqlHBZnnQ

T 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2012, 23:56   #17

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Google 'anti theft outboard cover' & you apparently can buy covers/marking kit from Devon & Cornwall police for most sizes of outboards !
Old 01 December 2012, 08:53   #18

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
Mick - sorry for your loss. Mister P can we have some details of the cameras you would advise please because we are having increased crime here in Spain with "El Crisis" and I have been researching cctv systems for the house. The general conclusion from the net is that unless spending something around a grand a camera then they are a waste of time as definition is not up to "recognition" standards. I know they're probably going to wear a scarf or hoodie but you have to do something. If the picture isn't that great they're no more use than dummy jobs IMHO.
Old 01 December 2012, 09:39   #19

Town: England
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
What is the point in cameras? You are far better off spending money preventing the theft in the first place.

The police won't have anything to do with an image that is not up to standard. Spend the money on better padlocks etc.
Old 01 December 2012, 09:48   #20

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigi36
What is the point in cameras? You are far better off spending money preventing the theft in the first place.

The police won't have anything to do with an image that is not up to standard. Spend the money on better padlocks etc.
I'm afraid I disagree. It seems to me it doesn't matter what you have in the way of locks - if they want it they will work out a way of getting it off. A tracker installed under the cowling is probably your best chance of retaining your engines.