Old 12 June 2019, 19:11   #1

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: patch
Make: avon sr5.4/4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: mercury 90/honda 30
Stolen boat check !!

Hi guys I’ve just sold a lovely Avon jet rib, i originally won this from a guy on eBay all totally straight and I’m still in contact with him so nothing fishy, but I just sold the boat and the guy is trying a fast one on me I think, this was a week ago and now he said it’s a stolen boat and basically that’s fine but he said he shouldn’t of payed top money for it, so he’s told me he’s ordered some bits through a Yamaha dealer and it’s on the database as stolen, I’ve got all the details of the rib so I done a check on stolenboat.org.uk and it came back all good with a green tick, is there anywhere else I can try !! Cheers Tim
Old 12 June 2019, 19:25   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
He's after discount to pay for the bits play him along for proof you've checked and all ok your end IMO
Old 12 June 2019, 19:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
He's after discount to pay for the bits play him along for proof you've checked and all ok your end IMO

That’s what I think !!
Old 12 June 2019, 19:46   #4

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Check the numbers yourself with a Yamaha dealer & you could run the numbers past the Police & see if anything comes up.

If he's claiming it's stolen but he doesn't mind & intends to hang onto it then you could point him in the direction of 'handling stolen goods' for which the penalty is up to 14 years imprisonment.
Theft Act 1968

Fingers crossed your checks come up clear or it could all get very interesting.
Old 13 June 2019, 09:28   #5

Length: 7m +
Tim I think you should contact your local police station and explain the situation or somewhere down the line if the boat changes hands again you could be implicated, if the buyer thinks its stolen then they should be reporting that fact to the police and who they bought it from as in you. From you point of view you have sold this to him in good faith and have had no indication that it is stolen. The fact that the buyer thinks its ok if it is stolen should be a red flag.

If it were me I would be collecting all communications on the subject and would head down to see the police and get advice from them, thatway any comeback now or in future you have proof you contacted the police etc etc. Im sure they could give you some advice.

Hope it works out OK
Old 13 June 2019, 09:53   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
What happens when Yamaha flags it as stolen? Do they just say “oh it’s stolen, but here’s the parts” or do they report it to someone? How reliable do you think Yamaha are at updating the database when it is recovered? Or if there is a mistake (like a typing error on the serial no).
Old 13 June 2019, 11:11   #7

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I doubt Yamaha would say "btw that boat is stolen". A pal of mine innocently bought a stolen motorbike a few years ago and went to a dealer for parts which they said needed ordered, took his contact details to notify when the parts arrived, only to pass them onto the police who knocked on his door and recovered the bike. I think the same as others its a try on to get some money back my reply to him would begin and end with an F
Old 13 June 2019, 14:05   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Or you know, if the boat is "stolen", you could offer to do the right thing and inform the police of it's current whereabouts...

Old 13 June 2019, 21:46   #9

Thanks guys I contacted the police today they have told me to go on the data base I was already on which shows it’s all good, I’ve kept all messages from the buyer which they told me to do !! I think he’s trying a fast one !!
Old 14 June 2019, 08:52   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2658 View Post
Thanks guys I contacted the police today they have told me to go on the data base I was already on which shows it’s all good, I’ve kept all messages from the buyer which they told me to do !! I think he’s trying a fast one !!

The next time the buyer contacts you, just drop it into the conversation that you’ve voiced his concerns to the police. See what the reaction is.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 10:28   #11

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2658 View Post
There is a good chance he is on here and reading this very thread, whether he contacts you again will be a good indicator.
Old 14 June 2019, 22:56   #12

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Why would Yamaha have it listed as stolen? Why is he talking to Yamaha? I have ordered plenty of parts and never been asked for the serial number engine the parts are for and Yamaha will generally direct you to a dealer they don’t like dealing with end users direct (that’s why they have dealers) Avon made the boat and fitted a Yamaha motor just like any other boat.... seems rather fishy.......

Always fancied a jet rib but the weeedy 701 motor would have to go and an 1800cc SHO dropped in to give it a little fizz
Old 16 June 2019, 11:45   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Why would Yamaha have it listed as stolen? Why is he talking to Yamaha? I have ordered plenty of parts and never been asked for the serial number engine the parts are for and Yamaha will generally direct you to a dealer they don’t like dealing with end users direct (that’s why they have dealers) Avon made the boat and fitted a Yamaha motor just like any other boat.... seems rather fishy.......

I believe some manufacturers will list a marker on the database the dealers use to record warranty, service, etc. Presumably they also use this to look up part numbers. So I don’t think the buyer is saying he went direct to Yamaha, but their authorised dealer network.