Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Sarah

Hi, I splashed out on a set of four from indespension themselves.
Total cost was about the same as a set of bearings.

Trailertek are very good, I've used them several times.
They are about twenty miles from me, but for what I needed it was worth the diesel money after considering their prices.

Nasher.
Was it this one: http://www.indespension.co.uk/b2c/ap...5=HU008&slnk=1
Old 18 June 2007, 17:23   #22

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G View Post
Thats the ones, but be careful, they need to be a very snug fit in your drum/bearing housing so must be the correct size.
Even then they will appear to be too tight. To get them in they need a block of wood and a very accurate(Read Square on) clout with a mallet.

Nasher.
Old 18 June 2007, 17:25   #23

Quote:
Thats the ones, but be careful, they need to be a very snug fit in your drum/bearing housing so must be the correct size.
Even then they will appear to be too tight. To get them in they need a block of wood and a very accurate(Read Square on) clout with a mallet.

Nasher.
Groovy - I know this is a blond question, but how do I know what size they are? Sorry if this is really obvious!
Old 18 June 2007, 18:17   #24

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Not a Blond question at all.

If you know the hub manufacturer then I'd get their Bearing savers as the tight tolerances for the machining should be correct.

Otherwise you need somebody who is good with a vernier to measure your hubs. If you are still stuck I can do it when we launch on the 7th July.

Nasher
Old 18 June 2007, 19:11   #25

Quote:
Not a Blond question at all.

If you know the hub manufacturer then I'd get their Bearing savers as the tight tolerances for the machining should be correct.

Otherwise you need somebody who is good with a vernier to measure your hubs. If you are still stuck I can do it when we launch on the 7th July.

Nasher
I might take you up on that. Thanks Nasher
Old 21 June 2007, 09:10   #26

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Sarah, if you are towing with a disco I would have thought brakes would not be necessary on the trailer? They are a total pain in the arse.

I cant remember but I think my TD5 used to be rated to tow an unbraked trailer of around 1500kgs which should be fine for most ribs of the 6 metre type.

Chris
Old 21 June 2007, 09:17   #27

Town: Colchester
Boat name: Pamela
Make: Valiant
Engine: Mariner 80 EFi
MMSI: 235059536
Chris1573: This is incorrect I'm afraid, the law states that brakes must be fitted to the trailer if the maximum design laden weight is over 750kg, whatever is towing the trailer.

I think you are thinking of the 50% of towing vehicle kerbside weight threshold, over which you have to have brakes on the trailer whatever the trailer weight.
Old 21 June 2007, 09:19   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1573 View Post
Sarah, if you are towing with a disco I would have thought brakes would not be necessary on the trailer? They are a total pain in the arse.

I cant remember but I think my TD5 used to be rated to tow an unbraked trailer of around 1500kgs which should be fine for most ribs of the 6 metre type.

Chris
I think you are right. Although I've heard different arguments for and against having a braked trailer when dipping it in the water. I'll get the trailer sorted out and then at the end of this season we may have a complete rethink about how we launch or store the boat.

Thanks Chris
Old 21 June 2007, 09:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
Chris1573: This is incorrect I'm afraid, the law states that brakes must be fitted to the trailer if the maximum design laden weight is over 750kg, whatever is towing the trailer.

I think you are thinking of the 50% of towing vehicle kerbside weight threshold, over which you have to have brakes on the trailer whatever the trailer weight.
Oh well! I suppose that if we are travelling 100 miles each time, it would make more sense having a braked trailer. Also, the Northney slip is quite steep so would think that having a braked trailer would make launching easier?
Old 21 June 2007, 10:17   #30

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G View Post
Oh well! I suppose that if we are travelling 100 miles each time, it would make more sense having a braked trailer. Also, the Northney slip is quite steep so would think that having a braked trailer would make launching easier?
Noooo!!!

Don't ever use the hand brake on the trailer....Ever

You'll pull it up and the rust will stick the brakes in place, if this is done at the slip you'll end up stripping the brakes at the top of the slip otherwise your bearings 25 miles down the road.

The law states that for any load over 750kgs (gross) you'll need a braked trailer, so there's no option of an unbraked one here.

As to the effectivness of trailer brakes used during driving after several dips in the sea, who knows. But one thing is sure, if you use the handbrake lever to apply the brakes then there's no garantee that the brakes will release.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2007, 10:19   #31

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
To keep towing, launching and retrieving as fuss free as possible put loads of grease over all of the working parts, an extra hour spent oiling and greasing all of the moving parts inside the setup when assembling will save you time and money. Braked trailers are the most troublesome piece of kit that we use, i have had them seize on me in all situations, towing, launching, retrieving and reversing. I have learned the hard way to pay more attention to the brakes on a trailer, trust me they can spoil an otherwise lovely sunny day.
Old 21 June 2007, 10:52   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims Osprey View Post
To keep towing, launching and retrieving as fuss free as possible put loads of grease over all of the working parts, an extra hour spent oiling and greasing all of the moving parts inside the setup when assembling will save you time and money. Braked trailers are the most troublesome piece of kit that we use, i have had them seize on me in all situations, towing, launching, retrieving and reversing. I have learned the hard way to pay more attention to the brakes on a trailer, trust me they can spoil an otherwise lovely sunny day.
Good plan - I also will - once measured - get some bearing savers.
Old 21 June 2007, 11:47   #33

Town: Poole
Boat name: Exodus
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150
I've been talking to Nasher about these bearing savers - but if you could take some pics when you get them it might help the rest of us. I've had to spend almost £600 this year on replacing brakes and brearings so anything that can stop that again would be a great.
Old 21 June 2007, 11:49   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Into The Blue View Post
I've been talking to Nasher about these bearing savers - but if you could take some pics when you get them it might help the rest of us. I've had to spend almost £600 this year on replacing brakes and brearings so anything that can stop that again would be a great.
no probs.
Old 21 June 2007, 12:03   #35
RIBnet supporter

Town: Over there ---->
Length: 3m +
Bearing savers are amazing, but be aware that if you have a wheel lock that covers the centre of the wheel it might not fit over the bearing safer...
Old 21 June 2007, 12:06   #36

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims Osprey View Post
To keep towing, launching and retrieving as fuss free as possible put loads of grease over all of the working parts,
I'll second that. Lots of heavy grade water resitant grease over everything. Remove the adjuster and make sure it is well lubricated too or the threads will sieze and prevent the brakes being adjusted, which will need to be done fairly frequently. You might imagine the grease will get onto the brake linings and ruin the braking performance and I'm sure some of it does but what gets there appears to burn off quickly. The brake dust mixes with the grease to form thick black heavy water resistant sludge over everything else...just what you need.

Because of the way auto reversing works on trailer brakes, they do not work well in reverse and they are actually applied as you reverse. I've found that the linings wear out sooner than may be expected if you do a fair bit of reversing. It does have the effect of scouring the brake drums keeping them in better conditon though. Also, travelling a distance after recovering the boat appears to be a benefit.

Never be tempted to tow without brakes. Earlier in the season I towed my boat/trailer but the tow hitch didn't function correctly which prevented the brakes operating. (I didn't realise there was a fault, honest, officer.) The tow vehicle is a Disco, the road surface was damp and when braking firmly coming up to a busy main road junction, extra pedal pressure was needed to cope with the lack of trailer braking. The Disco wheels locked and the weight of the trailer just shoved the Disco along on the damp surface. A bit of cadence braking saved the day but my heart beat speeded up a bit I can tell you.
Old 21 June 2007, 12:10   #37

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I use Indespension bearing savers, 6 of them, but they didn't fit my hubs and they needed just a wee bit of machining to make them work....Sarah, Nasher may become your special friend cos he has a lathe.
Old 21 June 2007, 13:18   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I'll second that. Lots of heavy grade water resitant grease over everything. Remove the adjuster and make sure it is well lubricated too or the threads will sieze and prevent the brakes being adjusted, which will need to be done fairly frequently. You might imagine the grease will get onto the brake linings and ruin the braking performance and I'm sure some of it does but what gets there appears to burn off quickly. The brake dust mixes with the grease to form thick black heavy water resistant sludge over everything else...just what you need.

Because of the way auto reversing works on trailer brakes, they do not work well in reverse and they are actually applied as you reverse. I've found that the linings wear out sooner than may be expected if you do a fair bit of reversing. It does have the effect of scouring the brake drums keeping them in better conditon though. Also, travelling a distance after recovering the boat appears to be a benefit.

Never be tempted to tow without brakes. Earlier in the season I towed my boat/trailer but the tow hitch didn't function correctly which prevented the brakes operating. (I didn't realise there was a fault, honest, officer.) The tow vehicle is a Disco, the road surface was damp and when braking firmly coming up to a busy main road junction, extra pedal pressure was needed to cope with the lack of trailer braking. The Disco wheels locked and the weight of the trailer just shoved the Disco along on the damp surface. A bit of cadence braking saved the day but my heart beat speeded up a bit I can tell you.
I think I would feel happier having a braked trailer anyway to be honest. Our Disco is a S1 and the brakes are not the best I've ever used (other car a Saab and we have a real culture shock if you jump out of one into the other. Either over braking in the Saab or having too many heart stopping moments in the Disco!!
Old 21 June 2007, 13:19   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I use Indespension bearing savers, 6 of them, but they didn't fit my hubs and they needed just a wee bit of machining to make them work....Sarah, Nasher may become your special friend cos he has a lathe.
And he has offered to measure mine!!! OOhhh err misses!
Old 21 June 2007, 21:20   #40

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
many years ago i towed a 5 meter tornado with a vw camper all the way from Bristol to Cornwall with the brakes disconnected, every time we had to brake it felt like the trailer was going to come off the ball hitch and we needed an extra long space from the vehicle in front to allow for stopping, which was impossible because somebody was always cutting into our space. Um they were the days great fun but a tad irresponsible.