Old 23 February 2015, 16:22   #1

Make: Ballistic 6.5
Length: 6m +
Steering fluid

Hi. I don't THINK I'm a numpty really but wondered what the option of the rib collective was-
Can I top up my hydraulic steering fluid with normal(?) brake and clutch fluid?? Do I have to get the recommended stuff.
It's leaking at the engine end and need to be able to steer it to motor to the boat hoist. Will investigate leak when it's out with someone that knows what they are doing
No steering at the moment!
Ta
Old 23 February 2015, 16:30   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary222 View Post
Hi. I don't THINK I'm a numpty really but wondered what the option of the rib collective was-
Can I top up my hydraulic steering fluid with normal(?) brake and clutch fluid?? Do I have to get the recommended stuff.
It's leaking at the engine end and need to be able to steer it to motor to the boat hoist. Will investigate leak when it's out with someone that knows what they are doing
No steering at the moment!
Ta
NO.

The fluid in your steering is specially formulated for marine conditions.

Brake fluid is both hydroscopic and corrosive.

Fun fact : Saw a 1980s Rolls Royce for sale for $5000 once. Guy had bled the brakes with brake fluid instead of the expensive Rolls Royce stuff. Well, the Rolls Royce stuff is entirely something different...brake fluid ate the whole braking system. The moral of the story is to use only recommended fluids.

Paddles save the day?

But, if you insist, from Baystar / Seastar:
"Q: Can I substitute Transmission Fluid (ATF) for the recommended SeaStar Fluid?

A: In Emergencies only. ATF will void the warranty and decrease the efficiency of the steering system. SeaStar Steering Fluid can be replaced by any Hydraulic fluid with Mil Spec H5606."
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2015, 16:50   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
[B][U]NO.
Agreed.

Quote:
The fluid in your steering is specially formulated for marine conditions.
Disagreed. Seastar steering fluid is a general purpose aviation grade hydraulic fluid.

Quote:
SeaStar Steering Fluid can be replaced by any Hydraulic fluid with Mil Spec H5606."
Seastar is a H5606 (dash G, if I remember correctly) spec'd fluid with no dye added (dye is required in aviation to promote leak detection.) You can get quarts (I think) of Seastar fluid for around $20, or get a gallon of aviation fluid for about $25.

Do not use brake fluid, for the reasons Office888 mentioned.

jky
Old 23 February 2015, 21:41   #4

Make: Ballistic 6.5
Length: 6m +
ok thanks, found the original manual for the steering system now. Stuff ordered!