Old 07 August 2014, 12:58   #1

Length: 3m +
Starting a rescue/safety boat

Hey

So I want to start rescue/safety boat for events and such that is completely free of charge to the event or organisations. I may even do flood rescue as the area I live in has had flooding in the past. I'm a lifeboat crew member so have experience in rescues.

I'd it would be run on donations ect but do you guys think it's possible?

Thanks everyone
Old 07 August 2014, 13:27   #2

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
If your after a rescue my friend has one for sale! Great boat, big deck space, shallow draft, light but strong, 50hp tohatsu. He uses it for safety boat work. He's had 8 people plus 3 sets of diving gear in it at one time

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1407418031.192468.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	97708
Old 07 August 2014, 13:44   #3

I may be interested in the future just looking at my options first. Does he do safety work for a company or an organisation?
Old 07 August 2014, 13:53   #4

No he free lances. Recently did work on the Thames for a swim & is booked in for a sailing event in Weymouth. They pay pretty good money per person & then pay a certain amount for the boat.
Old 07 August 2014, 14:08   #5

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
This is an interesting topic. I help Frank with the maintenance on Hayling Rescue. He is a one man band who offers 24/7 Rescue and Recovery in the Chichester Harbour and Hayling Bay area. He operates solely on donations and whatever he can get from Boatman work, cutting ropes from props, moving boats using his RIB and of course towing boats off that have gone aground or broken down.
It is nearly impossible to make a going concern from doing this sort of work as nobody wants to pay and because the RNLI don't charge, everyone expects these services to be provided for free! It is an astonishing situation!
I help out doing safety Boat and support stuff for events organised by Hayling Island Sailing Club using my own RIBs. The best I can expect in return is £25 per day for wear and tear plus fuel. You have to be careful where you charge more as you then move into commercial territory which will inevitably bring coding etc. I am advised that I could possibly charge up to £100 per day before crossing that line.
If you are thinking of offering safety cover with your RIB for club events, be aware that most clubs have virtually no budget for this as they invariably cock up the projected budget for an event that will often be arranged 2 years before the event takes place and to try and make the venue as attractive as possible to the class, they negotiate the lowest prices they can, leaving no flesh on the bone. There are emergency organisations that have come to light since last winter and all the flooding that may be interested in recruiting your services? SERVE ON
If you are considering going this sort of direction and haven\t bought a RIB yet, you might consider getting something with a Jetdrive as it is ideal in situations where people are in the water and if you help with floods and are travelling along flooded roads etc, wont have to worry about clouting the prop. The other bonus is the manouverability that a jet gives you, although they take some getting used to after a conventional leg and prop.

Good luck with your venture, I look forward to hearing more.
Old 07 August 2014, 14:19   #6

Those prices seem interesting. For the Thames swim we got £90 per crew member & just over £100 for the use of the boat. & similar for the Weymouth event
Old 07 August 2014, 14:19   #7

Hey I don't have a RIB ATM but I'm used to operating both jet and outboard propelled boats, I'm currently looking into a Arancia it seems a good boat to me. And I didn't know you could charge into £100 without a commercial endorsement?
Old 07 August 2014, 14:23   #8
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
You can't charge.

If you receive payment or reward you need to be coded.

Chris
Old 07 August 2014, 14:34   #9

It is not suggested as an ongoing commercial arrangement. It is just a suggestion that you could possibly justify £100 per day in wear and tear+ fuel, depending on what sort of setup you have. More than that would probably encourage closer scrutiny? I only do this stuff part time and have a proper job during the week, so am not relying on it for my income. If I was doing this everyday earning £100 per day, I don't believe I would be able to get away with it for long, without getting the correct paperwork, license, insurance etc in place.
There are other people on here involved with this area who I am sure will also offer some advice.
Old 07 August 2014, 17:14   #10
CJL

RIBase
You can't receive anything that constitutes payment or benefit in kind and you need to be doing it as a leisure activity.

£100/day would in my opinion, for a little sib would result in a benefit and/or reward.

Chris
Old 07 August 2014, 18:06   #11

Starting a rescue/safety boat

I agree that £100 a day for a small SIB would be taking the piss.
Old 07 August 2014, 18:22   #12

Okay as I said I'd offer the services for free. But would a donation link on the website for the services be acceptable?
Old 07 August 2014, 18:31   #13
CJL

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla View Post
Okay as I said I'd offer the services for free. But would a donation link on the website for the services be acceptable?
No its reward. If they do it with no prompting whatsoever then you might get away with it but its a very dangerous line your walking.

Chris
Old 07 August 2014, 18:33   #14

It wouldn't be for reward it would go towards fuel and to maintain the boat and vehicle. Also to keep equipment in good nick like a defibrillator and fit aid stretcher ect.
Old 07 August 2014, 18:34   #15

But if not then ill find this on my own. So how does the rnli do this? As I won't take a wage it will be purely for equipment and other running costs
Old 07 August 2014, 18:43   #16

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla View Post
But if not then ill find this on my own. So how does the rnli do this? As I won't take a wage it will be purely for equipment and other running costs
registered charity
Old 07 August 2014, 18:45   #17

Ill look into creating a charity then
Old 07 August 2014, 19:11   #18

You can charge for fair wear and tear and fuel, also any costs involved and transporting the boat to the event. Just keep receipts to support your claims if needed.
You will also need to ensure that you have a suitable insurance policy and get it written into the policy that you will use the boat for voluntary support and safety.
Old 07 August 2014, 19:20   #19

Okay thanks everyone for the support and advice I has really made me feel welcome
Old 07 August 2014, 20:39   #20

So for sailing club events its common to get your tank filled up for you. So you don't need to claim for fuel. They may put more in than you came with... But no money changes hands...

Some may pay travel costs or fuel although most are parents who were coming anyway...

Setting up your own charity... ...lot of hassle. Who will donate? The event organiser? What's the advantage of them donating rather than covering costs? Why will general public donate ? Why would someone rescued donate they assume you are covered by event entry...

How sure are you you want to do this? It can be very boring. Lots of waiting around. Working to other peoples timetables and instructions.

On a minging day you'll wish you were at home. On a perfect rib day you'll wish you aren't sat at tick over...

If you present yourself as a charity doing rescue and an event 'employs' you do they some you are taking responsibility for safety more than if 'bobby with the rib' is doing it... So when something goes wrong will they point the finder at charity...

Do you have RYA safety boat cert? First aid (in date)? VHF.
Do you have crew?