Old 28 January 2010, 17:00   #1

Town: South Brent
Make: Aquaflyte, Razrfin
Length: 5m +
Starter for 10 - Jockey pod sizes?

Here's a novelty - just planning some new Jockey Seat Pods and thought we'd actually ask people who use the things...

What sizes do people prefer for the seat pods - in particular length for both single and double pods, heights excluding cushions, and widths at the top... we can do anything but it's always nice to know you're doing what people want!

Also do people prefer a lifting seat or hatches in the sides? Or something else?

Please let us know
Thanks
Old 28 January 2010, 17:23   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Something I find frustrating about the Vipermax seat pods is the base is so wide that there's very little deck-space between 2 adjacent pods and you end up stepping on each others' feet. Ribcraft, on the other hand have a narrow base to their seat pods, which allows a lot more room on deck. Disadvantage is less storage space inside, but I'd put up with that.
Old 28 January 2010, 18:25   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I agree. Seat pods are almost always too wide to stand astride comfortably. My preference is for a narrow pod with a Halmatic style seat pad. Here's a picture of the seat pods that Alan Priddy designed for Phoenix - they worked very well.

I don't particularly like lifting seats as they can be awkward and become unsecure - they do seem popular though and give good access once they have been removed. In the picture you'll see that we had hatches in the sides plus waterproof BDH containers built in for dry storage of bit and pieces. This worked very well.

It seems to me that a lot more thought could go into the ergonomics of most RIBs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seats3.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	48900  
Old 29 January 2010, 07:26   #4

Town: Coventry
Boat name: Eco XR24
Make: Eco-Marine
Length: 7m +
Jockey seats

We've designed some simple pods to keep as much deck space as possible (the Eco XR24 has a narrower beam than many RIBs). The sizes are on our web page: http://www.eco-marine.co.uk/consolesandseats.html The tops open on ours.

Would be interested in comments on them...
Old 29 January 2010, 07:29   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Something I find frustrating about the Vipermax seat pods is the base is so wide that there's very little deck-space between 2 adjacent pods and you end up stepping on each others' feet. Ribcraft, on the other hand have a narrow base to their seat pods, which allows a lot more room on deck. Disadvantage is less storage space inside, but I'd put up with that.
I think you can get two widths of Osprey pod now
Old 29 January 2010, 07:48   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Length wise it still amazes me how Avon & Humber define "one man" & "two man" etc.

For example - The "3 man" seat on the SR5.4 I always feel has slightly too much space for 2, with 3 it gets comfy. Same comment regarding the "2 man" seat on the SR4. Likewise, my |"2 man Standard Jockey" on the Humber - if the bolster was about 6" further back it would be fine, but when I'm sat comfortably for the wheel, the second person is literally clinging to the back of the seat. I'm not particularly rotund, but the thing that kills it is the fact there's nearly 8" of cusion in front of my @rse - if the whole bolster was mounted 6" further back, there would be plenty of space for everyone. The foot straps are also rather badly sited, but I put the entire setup down to me being taller than the person it was designed for.

As for height off the deck, that's an interesting debate. Mine is "proper low", so when you are sitting, you aree most definetly sat. Standing, plenty of room to allow you to bend knees when required & not get the seat trying to break your spine - also makes it easier to get on. Friend with a Ribcraft - nice high seats - really comfy when sat, but not as easy to get your leg over*, and much less margian for error with regard to meeting it on the way down.

I'll second the comments on the width of the base.

*I do mean that literally!
Old 29 January 2010, 09:53   #7

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Humber

Being a family of short arses (5"6" me, dad and bro. Women 5"4 and 5" 0) we struggle with the jockeys. My old mums feet only touch the floor on tip toes! Bit high even for me really. Also the seat is too long. Arms are short so can't steer and lean on backrest. Bases though are definitely too wide so feet bang in to eachother constantly. We get used to things not being right as most products are designed for average. Loving the boat though.

What about a jockey on an adjustable frame height wise?

(Bought from Ian sharlot though, was like buying a boat from Avatars! I'm sure seats were fine for families that tall (6ft plus))
Old 29 January 2010, 10:57   #8

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
The hazards of designing for averages........

Sounds like we could happily swap our jockeys!
Old 29 January 2010, 11:23   #9

I believe Scorpion take their customers' inside leg measurements, to make the jockey seat to the correct height.

At least, I think that's why they take it........
Old 29 January 2010, 12:21   #10

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Quote:
I believe Scorpion take their customers' inside leg measurements, to make the jockey seat to the correct height.

At least, I think that's why they take it........
Yeah that's what they say it's for! Probably only do it for female customers!

Its a good idea, though obviously costs start to creep in making different moulds etc. You get what you pay for i suppose. Off the shelf, bit like a suit.....its designed for joe average!
Old 29 January 2010, 13:10   #11

Town: West Sussex
Interesting subject and this is something that we addressed some time ago. The seat has to be right whether you are sitting or standing. If the cushion is too wide then it is most uncomfortable for standing up position. At the same time the base should also not be too wide.
If you have a multi person seat then each person should have a back rest and even side support wings. Because some multi person seats on some ribs have side mounted hinges to open the seat. with these you cannot fit back rests for each person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parker 750Baltic (5) (Large).jpg
Views:	222
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	48904  
Old 29 January 2010, 13:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Because some multi person seats on some ribs have side mounted hinges to open the seat. with these you cannot fit back rests for each person.
You can, if you have individual cushions with a gap between them for the backrest frame. Check out the Ribcraft FS jockey console
Old 29 January 2010, 14:35   #13

Town: West Sussex
Quote:
You can, if you have individual cushions with a gap between them for the backrest frame. Check out the Ribcraft FS jockey console
Uhhh I only said some ribs but taking your advice I looked at the Ribcraft site I see most don't so the person in front is leaning against the person behind and on top of all doesn't even have a grab handle to hold on to. of course this is all personal preferences some like it like that. We only other hand don't give you a choice.

You are correct on the FS Jockey seat but it will take up a fair amount of deck space say on a 5 mtr rib
Old 29 January 2010, 14:44   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
You are correct on the FS Jockey seat but it will take up a fair amount of deck space say on a 5 mtr rib
I suppose that's what this thread is all about: whether you want comfort or deck space.
Old 29 January 2010, 14:48   #15

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
you could have lift out back rests
Old 29 January 2010, 18:05   #16

Town: South Brent
Make: Aquaflyte, Razrfin
This is all great stuff! We had a very interesting debate in the workshop today as to whether perhaps the answer is for us to offer a variety of heights / widths - maybe let others do the inside-leg trick though - I've seen pictures of a lot of you and I don't fancy my chances...

Would people really be interested if the jockey seat were more tailored to the individual user? Presumably we'd have to produce it at a price pretty close to "standard" or is it something which people might be prepared to pay a small premium to get right?