Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
SS Fram (4 miles from Pennan)

Hi, anyone diving or fishing near the SS Fram this Sunday? We're planning to head out from Rosehearty and wondered if there will be any other boats in the vicinity. We're fishing, not diving. Forecast looks good so far - but will check again nearer the time.

Useful link for anyone that's interested: http://www.shipwrecksofscotland.com/ss_fram.htm
Old 24 August 2008, 05:30   #2

RIBase
Trip's off. Checked shipping and coastal forecast today at 05.50 and it's pi*s-poor! Complete pain - you wait all week and when you're ready it turns rough with gale-force warnings (to F8) in the north.

Takes me an hour or so to rig the boat for trailering, then at least the same to haul it to the launch slip. Washing down and stowing kit will take another 2 hours. Just ain't worth it if it's going to be rough.
Old 24 August 2008, 07:20   #3

Boat name: Kikican
Make: Vipermax 7
Length: 7m +
Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
Would have popped up for a look for a change from launching from Peterhead. Not used Rosehearty so much since they closed the pub at Pennan! Took the new RIB out of their a few weekends ago with my father to make sure I could get it down the slip OK (and to celebrate the arrival of sprog number 3 who had popped out 4 hours earler). No problem - its wider than I remember it and the turn at the top is not as bad as I had thought.

By the look of the leaves in my garden, the wind has been from the South most of the time so its probably OK up there. Wind looks about F4 gusting F5

Richard
Old 24 August 2008, 21:25   #4

RIBase
Went fishing at Portlethen (from the rocks) and it was lumpy to say the least. I'd say it was F5/6 for a start reducing to F4 by 13.00.

Anytime I've launched out of Roseheary you get a battering (southerly wind) until you round Troup Head where there is a degree of shelter. Our aim was to visit the Fram, but with a mederate swell and offshore wind, it was too much for us.