Old 24 October 2013, 22:42   #1
Dhf

Length: no boat
Sponson damage?

Evening all, I'm looking for some advise on my sponsons/tubes, I popped down my local YC boatyard to check my rib today to find it was covered in paint dust and small gritty bits , so I called the yard manager, he explained the little white building which is close to my rib in the yard is owned by the Water board who have hired contractors to clean the building. I did notice a big diesel jetwash close to the building when I left the yard, but there was no contrators about, the yard manager has told me he will contact the Water board to sort this out, he appreciates I don't want the tubes blasted with there overpowered jetwasher as he also owns a rib, and knows damage can accure, I'm a bit concerned as to whether all the mess can be safely removed now, I don't want white stains running from ropes and seams everytime it gets wet . any advise on my position with this situation would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 24 October 2013, 23:00   #2
Dhf

Pics should work this time hopefully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G0010031 (500x375).jpg
Views:	316
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	86623   Click image for larger version

Name:	G0010040.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	86624  
Old 24 October 2013, 23:13   #3

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Mate that is rubbish So glad you got the yard to escalate it for you, I think that you are entitled to get the whole rib professionally cleaned at their cost and don't take no for an answer, take as many pics as you can with the building in the background.

This kind of workmanship is irresponsible and must be challenged
Old 24 October 2013, 23:30   #4
Dhf

Yes thank you Whisper I'll chase this up first thing tomorrow, here's a pic of the building they jet washed, funny thing is no other boats seem effected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G0010046.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	86625  
Old 25 October 2013, 06:11   #5

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
if I were you I would be asking to meet the contractor on site, along with the a representative of the utility that employed the contractor ASAP, and get some agreement from them as to responsibility, you will be very lucky to get anything in writing, but do it before you try cleaning the tubes. I work for a big utility, they are normally very good about such things and don't want bad publicity, I would guess they will suggest to the contractor to get it sorted to your satisfaction. I would ask to see a copy of the risk assessment that was produced before work started, there should be something to do with risk to the environment and 3rd party property, just say that if they had contacted you prior to work starting you would have happy to buy a tarp to cover you rib, or move it elsewhere while work was going on etc... also bear in mind that it's unlikely this will be the end of the work, if they have jet washed it, what's next, rubbing down and re painting, maybe even spraying it, very likely there is some expensive kit in that container, you would be surprised what utilities use these containers for

on a more positive note, our Revenger has white n blue tubes, they do show every bit of muck known to man but just need a bit of elbow grease to clean up, so I doubt very much you will have much of an issue getting yours back to looking good again
Old 25 October 2013, 11:00   #6
Dhf

Thanks for the advice Chris, I'm still waiting for them to call me back, after contacting earlier, I guess they must be weighing up there legal responsibilities, must agree the darker colours certainly shows all the dust more than lighter colours, infact I'll bet some of the other boats are effected, just not as noticable being lighter colours. hopefully this can be all sorted with a good wash, I know I like visiting places where I'm likely to get hit by bird crap, but this is taking the biscuit.
Just to clarify the building in question is the one next to the shipping container, and it was very windy yesterday.

All the best and thanks again for your advise
Old 25 October 2013, 11:13   #7

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
We had similar with fleet cars being covered by metal particles from the site next to the office. Liability insurers picked up the tab for full valet & polish for all of out cars.....

If theres no movement just ask for thier insurer details - if youve got legal cover on the boa insurance give them a call .....
Old 25 October 2013, 11:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhawk ficht View Post
Thanks for the advice Chris, I'm still waiting for them to call me back, after contacting earlier, I guess they must be weighing up there legal responsibilities, must agree the darker colours certainly shows all the dust more than lighter colours, infact I'll bet some of the other boats are effected, just not as noticable being lighter colours. hopefully this can be all sorted with a good wash, I know I like visiting places where I'm likely to get hit by bird crap, but this is taking the biscuit.
Just to clarify the building in question is the one next to the shipping container, and it was very windy yesterday.

All the best and thanks again for your advise
dont wait too long, utilities tend to have lots of bureaucracy to get through before you reach the right person, and a weekend can be a very long time, good luck getting to the right person !!
Old 25 October 2013, 11:40   #9

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Obviously it is a bit annoying and if there is any long term problem then yes, they are responsible, but to play devil's advocate, in the first instance, will it not just hose/wash off?

Rather that than getting embroiled in a whole "you're responsible so i want you to pay for a professional clean and my time for organising it and travel costs to get there blah blah blah" debate.
Old 25 October 2013, 11:41   #10
Dhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
We had similar with fleet cars being covered by metal particles from the site next to the office. Liability insurers picked up the tab for full valet & polish for all of out cars.....

If theres no movement just ask for thier insurer details - if youve got legal cover on the boa insurance give them a call .....
Thank you Peter, I'll have to check my insure details I'm with Craftinsure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
dont wait too long, utilities tend to have lots of bureaucracy to get through before you reach the right person, and a weekend can be a very long time, good luck getting to the right person !!
Yes thank you Chris I did ask the rep on there emergency line to sort this asp, but he did seem to think it may take a couple of days, I did mention I could have potential buyers wanting to view this weekend, as I'm looking to downsize a bit, he seemed a bit more eager when I said I'd be disappointed if a sale fell due to its current condition.
Old 25 October 2013, 11:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Obviously it is a bit annoying and if there is any long term problem then yes, they are responsible, but to play devil's advocate, in the first instance, will it not just hose/wash off?

Rather that than getting embroiled in a whole "you're responsible so i want you to pay for a professional clean and my time for organising it and travel costs to get there blah blah blah" debate.

to a point HP I would agree, but if you don't register the problem in the first place then it will much harder to raise as time goes on
Old 25 October 2013, 12:00   #12
Dhf

Quote:

I wish it where as simple as that, but let me explain, my movement is very restricted with a motor neuron disorder, which is a side effect of broken backs and necks, I'm very lucky I can do what I do, but without my throttle in hand, my pace is reduced to similar of a snail , and besides I didn't make this mess, and shouldn't have to pay for cleaning myself. trust me I do not feel disabled when sat at the helm.
Old 25 October 2013, 12:38   #13

it makes no difference who did the cleaning of the building, the utility or their contractor, the utility are still responsible, and as such they have a duty of care to work in a safe manner, and not to damage or destroy other peoples property, but until they have acknowledged the details there is little that can be done, so that is a priority, and even more so in your own circumstances as it seems you can't put their mistakes right on your own. good luck finding the right person to sort the mess out
Old 25 October 2013, 12:48   #14
Dhf

Cheers Chris I'll get back in touch with the now, as I've still had no reply
I could ask friends help but feel I shouldn't need to.
Old 25 October 2013, 15:05   #15

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Quote:
I wish it where as simple as that, but let me explain, my movement is very restricted with a motor neuron disorder, which is a side effect of broken backs and necks, I'm very lucky I can do what I do, but without my throttle in hand, my pace is reduced to similar of a snail , and besides I didn't make this mess, and shouldn't have to pay for cleaning myself. trust me I do not feel disabled when sat at the helm.
Fair dues, was just asking the question is all.
Old 25 October 2013, 16:14   #16

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
You put your foot in it again HP your getting as bad as Mollers
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2013, 16:20   #17
Dhf

Quote:
Thats really no problem at all HP, things are not as bad as they sound, I regained full movement to my left side, and partial to the right, but cramps/mild spasticity is always a lifelong effect of spinal injury, which causes major problems when trying to walk with crutches,as my whole body cramps when stand to long, but as I say, it could be far worse, plus all my really really important bits still work too, wink, my beautiful wife has put up with me for over 20yrs and we have 2 children, so can't grumble to much, oh! and my throttle hand works good!
All the best HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
Your picking on him TT. It was a valid Q that I took no offence at
Old 25 October 2013, 16:32   #18

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
All the best HP. Your picking on him TT. It was a valid Q that I took no offence at
No I only pick on the celts on here and let's not forget our Gerry friend Herman

On another note roll on the 6 nations we have some very important Welsh bashing to do this year
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2013, 16:38   #19

Quote:
Quote:
No I only pick on the celts on here and let's not forget our Gerry friend Herman

On another note roll on the 6 nations we have some very important Welsh bashing to do this year
behave yourself Mr T, picking on HP, Mollers, poor ol Kerny and Welsh bashing all in one afternoon, what you gonna do for the rest of the weekend
Old 25 October 2013, 16:42   #20
Dhf

Quote:

Don't you worry fella our boyz are in training as we speak/type I mean, I hope they don't let me down after the ribbing I gave you earlier this year.
Darn it my memory has gone again! what was that result

All the best fella