Old 10 April 2007, 23:48   #21

Town: Firth of Clyde
Boat name: The Orange Box
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: O/board Honda 45hp
Send a message via Skype™ to TORNADO
Hee hee hee

Bigmuz7........I can send you the Boys Brigade Classic.."Will your Anchor Hold " ....as an mp3...they will at least not require an explanation of what the Gloamin is!!!LOL... the other bonus being Jimmy recorded neither!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Right - I've looked out 'Roamin' in the Gloaming ''..... Will that work ? ....
Old 10 April 2007, 23:59   #22

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
Ah! That's better Andy. Even the banana likes it.
That's seriously spooky how the bananas keep falling into time with the squeezebox!
Old 11 April 2007, 07:36   #23

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
So there isn't a new no wash rule in the Kyles, it's just a general reminder to be courteous but it's specifically aimed at ribs and pcw skippers.
Afraid there is, it was passed as a local Navigational Byelaw last year. I've tried to find it on tinternet but to no avail . It basically runs from the Colintrive ferry to where the Maids are.
Andy
Old 11 April 2007, 09:58   #24

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee View Post
Afraid there is, it was passed as a local Navigational Byelaw last year. I've tried to find it on tinternet but to no avail . It basically runs from the Colintrive ferry to where the Maids are.
Andy
Presumably this will be in one of the clyde publications I listed earlier? MCA doesn't seem to have anything specific about it....

Do you know if this was a Clydeport Authority or MCA type byelaw (presumably CPA if it's a byelaw)
Old 11 April 2007, 12:53   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by al40 View Post
Presumably this will be in one of the clyde publications I listed earlier? MCA doesn't seem to have anything specific about it....

Do you know if this was a Clydeport Authority or MCA type byelaw (presumably CPA if it's a byelaw)
It is a local Navigational Bylaw issued by Clydeport in March 06 I think. It cover various navigational/safety issues and includes chrtlets for navigation further up river.
I will have a look on the boats as I think I have one.....somewhere. If you phone Clydeport (01475 726221) and ask them for a copy of their Marine Leisure Guide I'm sure they would post you one out.
Andy
Old 11 April 2007, 13:39   #26

Thanks. I've emailed CP so will see what they come back with.

Al
Old 19 May 2007, 01:55   #27

Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Pity that common sense can't provail.....

As mentioned, there's far more potential for upset by wake when off the plane.

If it's a Bye-law, the direction to mariners doesn't seem to contain many specifics of what constitutes a breach of the law.

For example, on Loch Lomond, there is a rule regarding slow speed within 150m of the shore, one for speed within defined areas, one for not travelling above 30kph when towing, one for not travelling above 90kph flat out. All very objective, and easily understood.

The direction to mariners from Clydeport appears to encompass all the elements of what would be deemed to be good seamanship anyway.

As always, it's the majority who suffer because of the stupidity of the minority, like the nutters on PWC chasing the Arran Ferry last year, one of whom I watched fly off the wake, dumping the two in the water at which point their machine landed about 2 feet away!!

It's only two weeks ago, I watched Clydeport's own boat 'Cruiser' going through the area in question, producing a tug boat sized wake!

Anyway, here's a question...At what point does a yacht under power or sail produce no wake?!!

Beats me....
Old 19 May 2007, 03:04   #28

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Easy when it's going so fast it's airborne!!!
Old 19 May 2007, 13:08   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber1 View Post
SNIP I watched Clydeport's own boat 'Cruiser' going through the area in question, producing a tug boat sized wake!
Cruiser is Clyde Marines Boat. From what I have heard Clydeport introduced this by law mainly because if the gin palaces that where charging through causing problems to both yachts at anchor and also people that were rowing out to their boats on moorings.

I know that I certinaly produce less wash at 30 Knots than 5, but hey what can you do
Andy
Old 22 May 2007, 19:16   #30

I guess it's a perception thing - A RIB going flat out with small wake makes a lot of spray - a yacht going at hull speed makes no spray but lot of wake.... You don't have to think very hard about which one gets shouted at on the radio!

In any case, it's a no wake area and I'm happy enough to tootle through there at 5knts on the aux (doesn't make a lot of wake). Good chance to look at the seals on the rocks

The marine leisure guide is a really useful publication. For anyone wanting it you should be able to pick one up at a clyde marina or just by calling clydeport. I spoke to the deputy harbour master who was very helpful and sent one out to me next day.