Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 30 September 2012, 16:39   #1

Town: Plymouth
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp
Specification for a Ribcraft 7.8m

Hi everyone! I am just in the process of specifying the equipment on a new 7.8m (one of the Olympic boats). It is my first boat and has a 200hp Suzuki and a few other bits. However as you will appreciate I have a long shopping list and my PBS 2/vhf course booked!

I have spent many an hour recently reading all the safety tips etc and purchased auto life jackets,flares, handheld VHF,PLB etc etc. However there are some details I could do with advise on. Appreciating not everybody will have all the answers

Raymarine c95 v Garmin 750s? I have read reviews that the Raymarine products suffer with voltage drop and some owners put in a separate battery for the electronics. I have alseo read touch screen is no good with wet hands!

The Raymarine transducer DSM 300 for the fishfinder? Is it necessary/any good? Radar? Is it worth it in a RIB? Radar deflector I assume yes? Some threads also discuss auto pilot ? Is is more of a danger given the speed? AIS.... Should I install a transponder or use the app? Is it necessary at all? Should I buy an auxiliary engine (what size?) or enrol in sea start? Should I put 2 x 2 jockey and a bench or 3x2 (what will sell easier when I change the boat?). Is there anything I Have forgot?

Lots and lots of questions. Sorry but as I am now at the sharp end I want to get it right. Using it in Devon with teenagers/family. Etc Thanks
Old 30 September 2012, 16:46   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
welcome to Ribnet. First for the use you plan I would not be buying Radar. I dont also believe you need an auxillary for the type of use you plan, good servicing should ensure no problems. Look at all oor local charter RIBs and most are single engined.
Safety kit is all extra gear you need along with good anchor, chain and warp.

The 7.8 will deal with most sea conditions you venture out in and will manage a run home if weather changes. The radar reflectors which are passive are next to useless in most occassions. If you have the money, consider an active unit wired in to chart plotter for AIS,
Loads more will have more ideas, but I guess price was good for ex olympic boats
Old 30 September 2012, 17:06   #3

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Radar - yes, absolutely. Get a set up that allows for radar overlay on the chartplotter screen. Also, get MARPA and AIS receive. Raymarine/Garmin/Feruno will do all this.
Reflector - definitely, don't go to sea without one. Get a big Echomax.
Auxilliary - no.
Autopilot - no.
Get a decent DSC VHF and the biggest antenna you can fit. Buy a GPS PLB for extra peace of mind. Fit some dry boxes on the A-frame; they're surpringly useful.
Old 30 September 2012, 17:22   #4
RIBnet supporter

You state this is your first boat, great to have everything but this means more training. My views will certainly be different than GJOKYK with radar

Search forum on radar reflectors and if you cant find report done on passives they are next to useless, yes a requirement for coded vessels but we are now looking at active units. The large Echomax did not favour well on reviews by Quintico experts. The best passive was the large Tri-lens at all angles. ( found it http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/radar-report-47891.html
As your first boat get training as you said and enjoy it dont over stretch yourself.
Old 30 September 2012, 17:34   #5

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
At a slightly lower level than the cost of radar and GPS I'd recommend wing back seats. We have them on our RC5.3 and they're well worth the money for comfort, security and safety
Old 30 September 2012, 17:47   #6

Interesting read on the passive radar reflectors. Particularly as so many RIBs have them fitted.

Wingback seats are a definite. I tried out the RC 5.85 at the boat show and even with his (equivalent) handbrake turn I stayed in. Being an ex Olympic it is pretty basic (engine,boat and VHF) hence the need to get make the right decisions. I have seen some pretty nasty videos of chine walking boats and what happens to their passengers.

I also don't want to have an "oh shit" moment and wish I had it on board Hence the radar /AIS!

I had my last boat when I was 15. A clinker 14' with a seagull outboat. HP about 0.1
Old 30 September 2012, 18:48   #7

I forgot to say I think a 2x2 jockey arrangement is better that a bench seat. I've always thought bench seats look a bit 'bowrider'. Wing backs are good; I have them on my Ribcraft. Radar tends to divide opinion on this forum but I have to say I find it invaluable. It makes sailing in fog far less anxiety provoking.
Old 30 September 2012, 18:50   #8
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
I forgot to say I think a 2x2 jockey arrangement is better that a bench seat. I've always thought bench seats look a bit 'bowrider'. Wing backs are good; I have them on my Ribcraft. Radar tends to divide opinion on this forum but I have to say I find it invaluable. It makes sailing in fog far less anxiety provoking.
Absolutely agree on fog and radar. This is a new user and would probably not venture out with fog forecasts. I am looking to fit active AIS which also gives a better option than a reflector
Old 30 September 2012, 19:39   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
I dont also believe you need an auxillary for the type of use you plan, good servicing should ensure no problems.
mmm... because of course nobody here who services their engine regularly has ever had an engine problem? Even if you assume that the engine itself will be fine, dodgy fuel, smacking the prop / leg off something, getting a major rope entanglement on the prop (especially in choppy conditions - when you might be able to free yourself but not untangle the prop from within the boat). If budget allows an aux is not a bad idea, would increase confidence and might mean he uses the boat more than otherwise.

Quote:
radar reflectors which are passive are next to useless in most occassions.
I think that is overstating the point. The QinetiQ report is widely cited as saying that, but firstly the larger units like Echomax actually give responses across a wide range of situations. Even the crappy plastimo units might be better than nothing. Bear in mind that RIBs don't heel over the range of angles that sailing boats do. Height is a critical issue though which is inevitably an issue on a rib. But passive units work even when the battery is dead etc. An active reflector is definitely worth considering if the budget allows, but it still relies on someone on the other vessel paying attention, and its quite possible on a rib bouncing around at sea you would be oblivious to it failing.

AIS can provide more information - but again it needs watched, and the smallest craft out there won't have it.

Quote:
Radar - yes, absolutely. Get a set up that allows for radar overlay on the chartplotter screen. Also, get MARPA and AIS receive. Raymarine/Garmin/Feruno will do all this.
Unless he plans to go out in fog its probably not necessary. If he plans to do a lot of night cruises it might be worth considering but for normal family cruising in reasonable weather, I doubt its worth it - and would mean doing more training to learn to get the most out of it. I'd suggest as he's new to ribbing he'd be better learning boat handling, seamanship, navigation etc rather focussing on toys.

How many people here unexpectedly find themselves in poor vis?
How many people have had a scary - near vessel encounter with another boat in poor vis?
How many people have had an engine problem? I'd be spending the radar money on an aux first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Search forum on radar reflectors and if you cant find report done on passives they are next to useless, yes a requirement for coded vessels
Actually legally required (SOLAS) on ALL vessels where it is reasonably practical - which I think you'd struggle to claim a 7+m rib was not.
Old 30 September 2012, 20:01   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
How many people have had a scary - near vessel encounter with another boat in poor vis?
How many people have had an engine problem?
1. Me
2. Me
3. Me

Looks like I need the works then P
Old 30 September 2012, 20:12   #11

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
1 - me, it was ok when we went diving!
2 - luckily no
3 - oh yea, sat cleaning bits out in the middle of the Solent wasn't great fun.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 20:20   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
1. Me
2. Me
3. Me

Sounds like you need a bigger boat then. Something with a nice wheelhouse on it should keep the plotter screen dry and easy to read. I wonder if there is anyone in your part of the world who makes such a vessel
Old 30 September 2012, 20:38   #13

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
How many people have had an engine problem?
Been there - read the book - and got the t-shirt
Old 30 September 2012, 21:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
1. Me
2. Me
3. Me

And me x 3. That's why I bought all the gear on my boat. That, and I like gagets.
Old 30 September 2012, 21:46   #15

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
And me x 3. That's why I bought all the gear on my boat. That, and I like gagets.
Guilty on all 3 counts Got the toys, radar, reflector passive & active, AIS transponder, PLB, DSC VHF, autopilot. Had one of the engines fail on me this year whilst out, all serviced up & looked after like no other. One of the plotters also went tits up, I suspect the engine/plotter problems were linked as they were both electrical. After 10 minutes, I had all the functions transferred to the slave plotter, & the "good" engine charging both batteries & we carried on. It's all down to money, literally. How much do you want to, or are willing to spend to try & mitigate as many problems as poss? sh1t still happens but having the ability to sort out your problems on the fly is a plus & can save the day/holiday. It's the difference between calling the cavalry or carrying on under your own steam. Given the boat that you are buying, you will want to venture further afield & challenge yourself, you might not think so now, just give it a few months
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 22:23   #16

Thanks everyone. Some good advise. Dave has hit the nail on the head when he suggests that I grow into the boat. Hence a 7.8m. It is the electronics and seating I am at the stage of. I now have a pretty good idea on Radar reflectors. I can add the radar when i get some hours under my belt.

An Aux engine seems peace of mind and I only have to buy it once. Any tips on the chart plotter? I like the Idea that with a Raymarine c95 I can view the screen on a iPad and plot before the journey but Garmin maybe better.
Old 30 September 2012, 22:32   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
Any tips on the chart plotter? I like the Idea that with a Raymarine c95 I can view the screen on a iPad and plot before the journey but Garmin maybe better.
Bigger is better, IMO. The Garmin 750 is, well, compact. Nice bit of kit though - you might consider fitting it in the console above the helm and leave space for a big screen unit in the Nav side for later.
Old 30 September 2012, 22:39   #18

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD
Thanks everyone. Some good advise. Dave has hit the nail on the head when he suggests that I grow into the boat. Hence a 7.8m. It is the electronics and seating I am at the stage of. I now have a pretty good idea on Radar reflectors. I can add the radar when i get some hours under my belt.

An Aux engine seems peace of mind and I only have to buy it once. Any tips on the chart plotter? I like the Idea that with a Raymarine c95 I can view the screen on a iPad and plot before the journey but Garmin maybe better.
Well I don't know that much compared to most on here but I went biggish for my 1 st rib last year and glad I did with the trips we have done with the other chsps
And as regards toys mine has standard horizon gear and I would stick to the same brand so they are more comparable.
Old 01 October 2012, 05:46   #19

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Re: Raymarine. I've got the DSM300. I specifically plumped for Raymarine when I kitted out BP as I wanted the digital HD sonar offered by the DSM 300, it's still a nice bit of kit ( especially paired with a good transducer)but the Lowrance structure scan is now far superior. I wanted the resolution for diving, if you don't need the clarity offered by Structure scan then the DSM is a good choice. Another reason I went for Raymarine was that they run Navionics charts which IMHO are the best available in the price range that we are looking at. Opinion is divided on here re. Bluechart V Navionics but I think that the consensus is that Navionics have the edge in detail & clarity.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2012, 06:15   #20

Dave, will the structure scan work with a Raymarine? It looks good!