Old 18 August 2013, 18:01   #1

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Southampton Boat Show. Is it worth it for us?

Just had a wander through the Southampton Boat Show website and the search term 'Rib' yielded 67 results. Drill down through the results and there are very few Rib exhibitors; those that are attending are yet to 'confirm' more than half the boats they're allegedly exhibiting with less than a month to go!

Boats from a number of manufacturers favoured by members on this forum are notable absentees - Humber and Osprey for example. So my question is whether the show is worth it for offshore ribbers or whether there's another, more focused and targeted, show I should be attending?

I know from personal experience the costs involved in exhibiting at trade/consumer exhibitions and understand that many excellent Rib manufacturers are small businesses but as I'm not interested in teak decking and striped seats, my choice at Southampton appears to be rather limited?
Old 18 August 2013, 18:49   #2

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Seawork is your best bet!

Seawork International - Home
Old 18 August 2013, 19:13   #3

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Just had a wander through the Southampton Boat Show website and the search term 'Rib' yielded 67 results. Drill down through the results and there are very few Rib exhibitors; those that are attending are yet to 'confirm' more than half the boats they're allegedly exhibiting with less than a month to go!

Boats from a number of manufacturers favoured by members on this forum are notable absentees - Humber and Osprey for example. So my question is whether the show is worth it for offshore ribbers or whether there's another, more focused and targeted, show I should be attending?

I know from personal experience the costs involved in exhibiting at trade/consumer exhibitions and understand that many excellent Rib manufacturers are small businesses but as I'm not interested in teak decking and striped seats, my choice at Southampton appears to be rather limited?
Are you buying or just viewing?

The majority of our production is commercial / military. This is a leisure show and we will be showing a typical leisure rib mind you no teaking . We will be able to show you photos of commercial looking ribs but like Boatnomad said earlier Seawork is the show for you.
Old 18 August 2013, 20:05   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Are you buying or just viewing?

The majority of our production is commercial / military. This is a leisure show and we will be showing a typical leisure rib mind you no teaking . We will be able to show you photos of commercial looking ribs but like Boatnomad said earlier Seawork is the show for you.

I'm in the buying process. I know that I want a rib but want to get touchy, feely with some different brands, look at the quality of the fit-outs, brightwork, etc and also have a chat with some people on the stands, check out attitude, etc. I'm really after fitting out my own boat if the truth be told but an exhibition is an opportunity for a manufacturer to convince me they could do a better job....

I particularly wish to get physical with some shock mitigation seating.

The guys are right though, Seawork would be a better option for this; I went a couple of years ago but missed it this year due to being offshore and I aint gonna wait another year!
Old 18 August 2013, 20:23   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Redbay Boats' Round Ireland 950 will be there, it has ScotSeats on it. You might be allowed to bounce on them?
Old 18 August 2013, 20:28   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Redbay Boats' Round Ireland 950 will be there, it has ScotSeats on it. You might be allowed to bounce on them?
If you saw the size of me, I might not!

On the other hand, if I took the missus, she would almost certainly be invited
Old 19 August 2013, 10:48   #7

Length: 4m +
A lot of manufacturers are quite often there under another name. There's usually lots of ribs around but quite often the manufacturers put their boats on other peoples stands, such as engine/seating/electronic manufacturers etc to save the exihibiting costs.

Probably the only place you'll find as many different leisure ribs in one place to look at. Seaworks is more commercial stuff, great show if thats what your looking for.
Old 19 August 2013, 11:02   #8

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
I'm in the buying process. I know that I want a rib but want to get touchy, feely with some different brands, look at the quality of the fit-outs, brightwork, etc and also have a chat with some people on the stands, check out attitude, etc. I'm really after fitting out my own boat if the truth be told but an exhibition is an opportunity for a manufacturer to convince me they could do a better job....

The guys are right though, Seawork would be a better option for this; I went a couple of years ago but missed it this year due to being offshore and I aint gonna wait another year!
Come to the show and let's have a chat. Of course make yourself known to me. I will be at the fair for the whole duration. we can discuss demos at the show as I will have a Parker 750 Baltic (diesel) and a Parker 750 RS (petrol) at Southampton Dry Stack