Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Southampton Boat Show

I spent 14 quid to go to the Southampton Boat Show on Sunday and after struggling to find a car parking space I was very dissapointed with what I saw.

Very few RIBS, not much as far as chandlers go and very very few places to sit down and have a drink!

Now bearing in mind it was my first time going to Southampton BS were my expectations too high and is it always like that??

Chris

PS New Atlantic 85 - How much money do the RNLI have????
Old 26 September 2005, 17:51   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
little hint....

don't go on a sunday!!!! I spent hours visiting all the rib stands on wednesday. Rib-X, ribtec, xs-ribs/tornado, ribcraft, tohatsu.....
depends what you want as to wether it's any good or not. Ribex may be more what you are after, in the spring on the isle of wight.

ribex
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2005, 18:23   #3

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
I tend to go every few years to Southampton. The layout hardly changes (sunseekers did move this year). There is too much stuff there, to see. I was very impressed with a very large LCD High Defininition Flat Screen TV .... and the show price was excellent.

When I was going to buy a boat the show was excellent. In all other years I have not really been impressed ...... what does that tell you!!! Answer ... buy a boat every year so you get value for money and enjoyment from your show ticket. Let me find the missus ... I have a proposition to put to her.

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2005, 18:51   #4

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
I agree with Andy that the layout of the Southampton show really doesn't change very much from year to year.

Actually, it saved me wasting money on some ineffective bits for my new boat. One of them had a display that was only really legible from square on. The other was a radar reflector that MBM tested - it came out as useless.

When we use a reflector, we expect to be seen. On the basis of MBM's research on this particular model, 95% of the time we are potentially "invisible". Dangerous, if we have assumed that the big ship bearing down on us knows that we are there! That's probably a risky assumption at any time.

On the strength of the review, I am considering a radar transponder. Maybe a reflector as well, in case the power goes down.

Chris.
Old 26 September 2005, 19:45   #5

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I go every year, not actually sure why . All I bought was one of those syphon hoses from that nutty french guy. Tried desperately to buy the missus some wet weather gear with no luck. It's all layer technology now. She didn't want three tops and two bottoms to keep warm. Just one of each, and it appears that there are only Musto and Henri LLoyd left in the market now. Gill are just about there, Helly Hansen have disappeared up some snowy mountain somewhere!
Old 26 September 2005, 20:29   #6

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
I go every year, not actually sure why . All I bought was one of those syphon hoses from that nutty french guy. Tried desperately to buy the missus some wet weather gear with no luck. It's all layer technology now. She didn't want three tops and two bottoms to keep warm. Just one of each, and it appears that there are only Musto and Henri LLoyd left in the market now. Gill are just about there, Helly Hansen have disappeared up some snowy mountain somewhere!
snap and so did i, fantastic bit of kit, great for emptying my box section that holds the engine on and sometimes gets water in it

that guy must be a millionaire as i bet most of us purchased one, especially if we are jerry canning fuel around!!!!!