Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Sorry it is a FAQ - Temporary Anti-fouling

Sure this has been answered before but:

Will have new rib Wednesday probably

Expect to put her in the water in Lymington then or on Saturday. Will berth her until say next Thursday - depending on weather. So will be in water for a week or so. Will be taking her out lots - I hope.

Should I put anything on the hull or tubes as a precaution against fouling? Don't want to antifoul her, but I know various products have been mentioned.

She looks shiny new - especially with the yellow tubes. Anything to put on to protect them generally against feet, pontoons (learner driver!) etc?

If I do put something on the hull - dumb question - how do I put it on the bits obscured by the trailer rollers?

Finally, is the answer to such temporary anti-fouling dependent on time of year, location.... or is it generally applicable?

Thank you

Bruce
Old 11 October 2004, 07:05   #2

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: X-RIB
Make: XS-600
Engine: Mercury 115
Bruce

Don't worry about putting anything on as antifouling if it's only for a week or so - nothing will grow that a good pressure wash off can't remove. Its only when you leave them for a long time and the barnacles start to grow that it gets to be a real problem.

I Strongly recommend using fenders to protect your tubes against the pontoon - RIB tubes can easily tuck underneath pontoons and Marina owners don't always take care about nails or protrusions that stick downwards!

Enjoy the new RIB!

Nigel

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows, 1908.
Old 11 October 2004, 08:21   #3

Town: London
Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
Bruce, I have a small hard boat that I keep in a marina and occassionaly trailer to other parts of the country, I use Safeboat skin which is fantastic. I also apply it to my leg (on the boat ) and it has kept it like new. Very cheap, apply it like car polish but don't polish off, leaves the hull looking as it was as it is clear, full details on link below.

Good luck

See :- http://www.ribcentre.net/safe.htm
Old 11 October 2004, 09:23   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Wax and elbow grease (hull only, not tubes) - enjoy!

You can get 3M wax at most chandlers. If trailer rollers are in the way, you'll just have to move the boat on the trailer a bit. I would ask Lee/Kevin if they wax the hull before delivery...
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2004, 09:27   #5

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Yep, I've mentioned it here before, and it DOES actually WORK!!

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....t=safeboatskin

To get at the area behind the rollers park the RIB on a slight incline and winch it back slightly about 1 foot this will enable you to get at the area the rollers were covering.

Do use a safety chain/strong rope attached to the bow eye with only 1 ft slack in case the winch fails!! Can never be too safe, especially when its a new boat!!

Edit: just saw Richard B's post. You can use this wax successfully on the tubes with no staining or adverse effects. This will depend if your tubes touch the water while at rest (I only needed to do a small area at the back of the tubes as the rest of them sat clear of the sea)
Old 11 October 2004, 10:36   #6

swginn, Yes brilliant stuff, I guess the makers of anti-foul are shuddering in their boots Biggest secret going I think, but what the hell I have it

What I like about it is that it is all natural and and safe for the environment, unlike my 5.0Gxi V8, so helps me sleep better at night

Oh! and another thing Steve at i2d Uk Ltd does some fantastic spray stuff that is for plasma and computer screens, it is brilliant and I use it on my Garmin. It comes in a mini spray can and would last for yonks if you are carefull, also great for home computers and the Plasma TV's. If anyone want some I have a number for him, it's only a couple of quid, and again made from natural ingredients
Old 12 October 2004, 13:27   #7

Apparently the stuff is now distributed via :- www.safeboatskin.co.uk
Old 12 October 2004, 14:08   #8

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki