Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
morning, ribtec, coastline, marine concepts, halmatic, hurricane, tohatsu, me
if these guys do any advertising it's very limited, i know marine concepts don't, they built the volvo ocean race support boat, i know i don't other than charging around with my beautiful stormchaser
RIBTEC - owned by Ribeye - who do prolifically advertise/exhibit under the Ribeye banner.
COASTLINE - full page ad in the last RI and sponsorring Ribfest
HALMATIC - were at Seawork 2009
HURRICANE - Zodiac do exhibit and advertise - they have an 1/2 page in the last RI which specifically mentions the 'milpro' range which seems to include the Hurricanes, and I think the pictures include a hurricane.
TOHATSU - are obviously at shows and in mags with their engines... ...I'm fairly sure that their rib range creeps into that from time to time.

Whilst I have no doubt that both you and Marine Concepts can produce fantastic craft, and that you are busy enough without any advertising simply due to word of mouth - I'm not sure either of you has "made there name" or created a particular brand that trips off the tongue when people think of quality ribs.
Old 09 February 2010, 17:32   #42

Town: carrbrook
Length: 5m +
biffer

can anyone tell me what rib biffer makes and how to contact him cheers
Old 09 February 2010, 17:38   #43

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
RIBTEC - owned by Ribeye - who do prolifically advertise/exhibit under the Ribeye banner.
COASTLINE - full page ad in the last RI and sponsorring Ribfest
HURRICANE - Zodiac do exhibit and advertise - they have an 1/2 page in the last RI which specifically mentions the 'milpro' range which seems to include the Hurricanes, and I think the pictures include a hurricane.
TOHATSU - are obviously at shows and in mags with their engines... ...I'm fairly sure that their rib range creeps into that from time to time.

Whilst I have no doubt that both you and Marine Concepts can produce fantastic craft, and that you are busy enough without any advertising simply due to word of mouth - I'm not sure either of you has "made there name" or created a particular brand that trips off the tongue when people think of quality ribs.
it's taken you all day to come up with that, coastlines just been bought by someone new, didn't think they had done that yet, hurricane are the commercial side of zodiac
halmatic are commercial also and don't see ad's for any of them
and my piont is that we don't need to have names rolling off of tongues, marine concepts actually do all the plug work for sunseeker and now fairline and you can bet that there mouldings are second to none, the console and seat moulds are used by solent ribs, just because you don't see our name in every mag going doesn't mean that we are not behind the scenes doing all kinds of stuff that other builders shout there heads off about
Old 09 February 2010, 18:24   #44
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
it's taken you all day to come up with that,
no - i've been out all day - I wanted to check that it was indeed a Coastline Ad I had seen in the last RI before posting.
Quote:
hurricane are the commercial side of zodiac
halmatic are commercial also and don't see ad's for any of them
I know this. Its also quite clearly a "Zodiac Hurricane Professional and Military Ribs" advert on p47 of RI, and as I said Halmatic were at Seawork - despite the fact you said they are so good they don't need to go to shows.

Quote:
and my piont is that we don't need to have names rolling off of tongues, marine concepts actually do all the plug work for sunseeker and now fairline and you can bet that there mouldings are second to none, the console and seat moulds are used by solent ribs, just because you don't see our name in every mag going doesn't mean that we are not behind the scenes doing all kinds of stuff that other builders shout there heads off about
I'm not doubting your quality, nor that of Marine Concepts if it comes with the Biffer seal of approval. But I just don't buy that you are better than everyone who does advertise which is what your original post implied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribster65
can anyone tell me what rib biffer makes and how to contact him cheers
ribsters65 - biffer doesn't like to be seen to generate business through rib.net because he might need to get a trademembership which might account to advertising - and would obviously dilute the value of his offering. But word of mouth says if you type "custom rib" into google you'll find him there!
Old 09 February 2010, 18:49   #45

didn't say we were better, i said the best boats, our boats are done with care, not saying that nobody else does but we spend a lot of time talking to the customer to make sure he gets just what he wants, we are in it for the money like everybody else but we are more interested in getting it right and not trying to close a sale, we work with the customer to get the right height for everything, any little idea they have we'll do our best to do it, one customer we had had a wife with bad blood circulation, we made all the handrails on the console heated with the engine water,they didn't ask for it, we just thought she would like it after one of our meetings, the boats may be better due to our attention to detail
as for trade i have already said that when i come back from skiing i will register as a trade member, then i'll have a go at telling you guys just what we do and how much other companies have benefitted from what we have done over the years.
by the way, if you enquire about a boat with marine concepts it will only come back to me here, behind the scenes don't you know!
Old 09 February 2010, 19:09   #46
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I'm no big supporter of Biffer or his ribs but:

Quote:
I'm not sure either of you has "made there name" or created a...
Spellchecking another Poster doesn't really help your case.
Quote:
ribsters65 - biffer doesn't like to be seen to generate business through rib.net because he might need to get a trademembership which might account to advertising - and would obviously dilute the value of his offering.
If he's contravening Ribnet Trademembership rules, ban him, otherwise....
Old 09 February 2010, 19:25   #47

[QUOTE=willk;338366] I'm no big supporter of Biffer or his ribs but:

was it because i said your'e dog look the same as the knots yets dog or am i being parenoid again
Old 09 February 2010, 19:28   #48

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
ribsters65 - biffer doesn't like to be seen to generate business through rib.net because he might need to get a trademembership which might account to advertising - and would obviously dilute the value of his offering. But word of mouth says if you type "custom rib" into google you'll find him there!
Cheer up.
Old 09 February 2010, 20:00   #49
RIBnet Supporter

[quote=biffer;338367]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'm no big supporter of Biffer or his ribs but:

was it because i said your'e dog look the same as the knots yets dog or am i being parenoid again
Stand up straight, stop laughing and leave my (borrowed) sheep/dog out of this, or he'll ban the lot of us
Old 09 February 2010, 20:15   #50
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
If he's contravening Ribnet Trademembership rules, ban him, otherwise....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy
Cheer up.
Is 'humour' only permitted on Ribnet these days if its written in Garf-speak?
Old 09 February 2010, 20:17   #51

you should see what animals i've got mate! goats, mule, horse, cats, wouldn't be without them. what was wrong with our stuff earlier today to get it wiped, just thought it was a bit of a laugh, mostly at your expense mind you
Old 09 February 2010, 20:17   #52

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Me and Wilk obviously don't associate you with humour.
Old 09 February 2010, 20:34   #53

Quote:
i think it takes a lot to do what he does with words and it takes a lot to work it out what he's saying sometimes, but some of your humour does make my head hurt
Old 09 February 2010, 20:47   #54
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
what was wrong with our stuff earlier today to get it wiped, just thought it was a bit of a laugh,
appologies I clicked something wrong and it moved into "quarantine" instead of the bilges. its back where it should be.

Quote:
i think it takes a lot to do what he does with words and it takes a lot to work it out what he's saying sometimes,
indeed - and he does it with a style and class unmatched by anyone else here (in English or Garf-speak).
Old 09 February 2010, 21:37   #55
RIBnet Supporter

There appear to have been several misunderstandings, and so, with this happy conclusion, let me bid you all, as friends, goodnight
Old 09 February 2010, 21:55   #56

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Hmmm ..
Old 10 February 2010, 15:31   #57

Length: 10m +
Quote:
Halmatic weren't at Seawork 09; BVT Surface Fleet were
Old 10 February 2010, 17:28   #58
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Rich View Post
and are BVT not the owners/builder of the Halmatic range?
Old 10 February 2010, 23:11   #59

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Rich View Post
BVT's Delta's and MST's are fine boats but do you think they'll ever be as good as Quinquarry boats?

I see a lot of Deltas and Avons when I'm working offshore (Oil)but most of the RIBS I see when I work on Windfarms are Quinquarries.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2010, 00:13   #60

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Sonar.
re the lamination and gell coat, different layups and the skill of the craftsmen and quality of quality control do make a diffence to the GRP. Whilst gell coat can appear similar, different brands will deteriate more rapidy than others have a lok at new ribs in a boat show with a careful eye on the finish and you'll see a differnce in quality, that isn;t immediately visible. Also lift the hatxhes and inspection plates and see what it's like underneath. I believe every rib should come with a series of digi pics of it's construction which would let you know how well it's ben made

Also what happens under the GRP is important the stiffening and deck supports have to be right or else the boat won't ride right and again in a few years you might have a serious deck off problem to deal with. Also if the laminators are careless or mingy with the deck materials the you might have a duff deck after a while.

I'm not a big fan of Humbers, I don't reckon the factories attention to detail that much it's OK but it's not great and there are far too many people buying bare hulls and fitting them out for sale, which means the manufacturer has little or no control of quality, but you pays your money and you takes your choice. For similar reasons I don't like the Avpn Adventurers much

The boats that I've come across that do seem to stand the test of time (which indicates quality of construction, to me) are Revenger, Scorpion, old ribtec, Ocean, Coatline, Flatacraft, Osprey, Northcraft, Solent/Tohatsu. Avon, Delta, Halmatic and are superb craftI agree with CJl's comments but these boats are mil spec boats and as such are heavy and dearer to run I've owned several of the above makes and was very happy with the construction..

Boats I don't think age well are Tornado's, Falcon's (ribx), Ribeye, Cobra, Gemini, Balistic Prosport
Any owners of these boat wishing to organise a fatwa against me see TimW for details.

If I was looking to buy a 6.5 leisure rib it would be a Vipermax the only thing that would make me have secohd thaoghts is that would make me a member of the Osprey owners club and they are truly a scurvy lot. If the prices were reasonable I'd also give serious thought to a Scorp and in third place it would be a Solent. If it was A 7.5 or over then it woud be a Revenger, Scorp or Ribcraft. I'm far to biased to reccomend a 5.4 or a 4.7 boat
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote