Old 13 July 2008, 20:43   #1

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Smart Tabs

Finally got round to fitting and testing the Smart Tabs today.
Prior to fitting, I had no complaints about the general handling. What I wanted to try to improve was the transition from diplacement to planning. As we launch from Poole, I am restricted to 10kts until passing the chain ferry. This has meant pushing the boat hard in displacement mode at 8kts. Just a slight change in throttle and she jumps over the bow wave and away we go straight to 15kts +. Not wanting to get one of Poole's hefty fines, I thought I would give the Tabs a try.
What a revelation! The Rib now plane's at 8.5kts, I kid you not. The transition it virtually seamless and quick and saving loads of fuel. I need to tinker with the loading slightly as WOT is down by 4 kts.
The other unexpected bonus was the handling at around 15kts towing the inflatables. The turns are v tight and stable and boy does it grip the water. I think those in the boat had to hold tighter than those in the ringo.
Now I bought whilst in the USA and for $129 it was a great buy. Would think twice if I had to pay the £130 over here, but if I had known how good it would be, I would have paid.
May not suit everyone, but I have a big smile
Old 13 July 2008, 23:33   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
There is a downside to these "smart " tabs.... they ain't smart! As they are just on a spring, they aren't aware of the sea state. So whilst they are good for the situations you've described, I found them to give a very strange handling effect in a following sea on a boat I tried them on once, which creates the very worrying effect of wandering all over the place as the nose of the boat digs in too much.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2008, 02:03   #3

Town: Victoria, B.C.
Make: H733 OB, H672 Jet
Engine: Mercury SeaPro 150's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
There is a downside to these "smart " tabs.... they ain't smart! As they are just on a spring, they aren't aware of the sea state. So whilst they are good for the situations you've described, I found them to give a very strange handling effect in a following sea on a boat I tried them on once, which creates the very worrying effect of wandering all over the place as the nose of the boat digs in too much.
Is this statement based on experience? It's not a spring, it's a gas charged strut, which creates LESS pressure on the tabs as they raise themselves from the water pressure at speed...quite opposite from how a spring works. I have them to partially compensate from my rear-heavy rib. They reduce my planing speed by 1/2, and increase my top speed by 2kt. They also stabalize the side to side rocking while cresting big waves at an angle. In my case, the tabs compensate for my boat set-up, and my engine trim is used to adjust the boat to the seas.
Old 14 July 2008, 07:20   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim J View Post
Is this statement based on experience?
Yes. Spring under compression / gas strut, whatever. Still ain't "smart".
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2008, 07:49   #5

Richard

I had read about the following sea scenario and have attached a line to each, so that I can manually lift clear and therefore disable should the need arise. I do this whilst launching off a trailer to avoid any damage.
Old 14 July 2008, 13:56   #6

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
I wondered how that was overcome.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2008, 16:38   #7

Town: poole
Make: ring
Engine: 150xr2
whilst in the USA and for $129

A few guys I knew some years back had American cars and obviously when holidaying in the USA it was always wise to bring back a few bits however they had got into trouble for trying to fly in pressurised bits on their return flight so surprised you did not get done for it especially these days
Old 14 July 2008, 17:08   #8

Town: Victoria, B.C.
Make: H733 OB, H672 Jet
Engine: Mercury SeaPro 150's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
Richard

I had read about the following sea scenario and have attached a line to each, so that I can manually lift clear and therefore disable should the need arise. I do this whilst launching off a trailer to avoid any damage.
I did something similar, I have a jam cleat 7" above, and inline with the strut. when you pull them up it automatically locks the tabs up. I learned the hard way how hard it is to get off a sandy beach with the tabs dug into the bottom I've never had to pull them up on the water, but i can see how an already well balanced boat can be affected in a following sea.
Old 14 July 2008, 18:03   #9

..... however they had got into trouble for trying to fly in pressurised bits on their return flight so surprised you did not get done for it especially these days .....

I carried the struts in my hand luggage, as I thought they might look odd when x-rayed in my hold luggage. It was no problem at all, as there are no pressurised parts. It relies on oil passing between two cylinders with valves/seals providing resistance.

The passenger compartment is subject to alot less variation in pressure compared to the luggage hold, in the cabin it is usually about the equivent to being at about 9000ft pressure wise. Not a huge change