Old 24 May 2005, 23:50   #21

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Ranger
I heard today that a certain owner of a certain London footbal club who has a passion for toys is having a "small" rib designed. 10 metres with twin 240 Yanmars on Hamilton jet drives - all purpose designed with touch key switches etc. Current cost? Around £250K and rising. Hmmmmmmmmm, I wonder if they need a test driver
But where will he fit it?? Looks like he hasn't got much room left in the garage!! This is "Le Grand Bleu", Abramovich's garage for his toys . She is the support boat for his larger yacht Pelorus!!

Sorry for going off topic, just thought it might be of interest, I wonder how often his new diesel RIB will get used? Does he know that diesel only pays off if you do 100+ hrs per year??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	le grand bleu (Small).jpg
Views:	220
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	12056   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture1a6ly (Small).jpg
Views:	231
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	12057   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture111yf (Small).jpg
Views:	233
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	12058   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture32ql (Small).jpg
Views:	250
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	12059  
Old 25 May 2005, 07:48   #22

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Here is the review of the Ribtec Alan was referring to:

http://www.ribmagazine.com/boat%20tests/ribtec600.htm

Pete
Old 25 May 2005, 08:19   #23

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
AFAIK a diesel engine is more expensive than an outboard to maintain. Of course this is just received wisdom and hearsay so in true rib.net style I will state it as an absolute fact and get into a massive flame war with anyone who dares disagree with me! (But there is some logic about an outboard being easier to access than an inboard diesel that would lead me to think that I am speaking somewhere near the truth.)
Rubbish, nonsense, cobblers , you don’t know what you are talking about. I have a mate who has a ….……. . you might have a point but there are so many different factors to take into account you cannot give a definitive answer. For me it is cheaper because I can service a diesel myself and spare parts for my engine generally come direct from Ford. If I don’t have time to do a job I go to an agricultural engineer who is cheaper than the boat yard . But if you own a more exotic engine and rely on the yards to do the work a diesel might be more expensive
WHICH? Used to a comparison between a diesel and petrol car of the same model to work out which was cheapest to own. From memory and a few years back if you owned a Fiesta diesel you would have to run a minimum of 18000 miles a year to justify the additional cost, I would love to know how that would Work comparing the same Dev to petrol RIBs. Des
Old 25 May 2005, 11:16   #24

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Huh, you dont scare me Des,

Akershally I suspect the exceptions to the rule (or at least my belief there is a rule that diesels are more expensive to service) are 1) the Ford based, shall we say older technology diesels such as in your Pacfic and 2) the ability to do the work yourself. You are clearly handy with the spanners, I am very much not and nor I suspect is the average punter.

Without going into the whole diesel vs petrol debate again I think that the pluses for diesel are low fuel cost at present and greater waterside availability. Buying a diesel RIB in the belief that servicing costs are going to be cheaper than and outboard would be a mistake IMHO.
Old 25 May 2005, 13:47   #25

Town: Southampton
Boat name: RocknRoller
Make: Revenger
Length: 4m +
Engine: 150 Yamaha
That ribtech would be well worth checking out althogh coastline have got this new 7m inboard which my friends have just purchased the first one out of the mould. Its ver impressive boat and has just been in the latest issue of RIB magazine.

Here are some pictures of it posted a while back
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9102
Old 25 May 2005, 14:39   #26

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Huh, you dont scare me Des, .......
You are only saying that cos you are 3000 miles away and you think I can’t get you
I agree that some engines lend themselves to servicing but really servicing is not a black art and it wouldn’t take anyone long to learn the basics. Other than oil changes and checking things there is not much too it and it will save you £££££££ Des
Old 25 May 2005, 17:59   #27

Town: PARIS
Length: 7m +
Quote:

Without going into the whole diesel vs petrol debate again I think that the pluses for diesel are low fuel cost at present and greater waterside availability. Buying a diesel RIB in the belief that servicing costs are going to be cheaper than and outboard would be a mistake IMHO.
Hi,
OK but is it still true if you can keep your diesel inboard for a long time, much more than an outboard, so you will have to spend a lot of money to change it before the guy with the inboard engine ? I beleive it, but may be i'm wrong ! Let me know

Thank
Phil
Old 25 May 2005, 18:54   #28

Town: Iqaluit, Nunavut
Boat name: Turaagaq -North Star
Make: Bombard WB 385 -2002
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 25 4-Stroke
Wow money to burn. I would utilyze a single Caterpillar 500HP with a titanium prop I prefer outboards and props because the seaweed is too much for jet drives up here and even 10M ribs don't have room to spare for an inboard in my opinion, must help to keep the CG near center though.