Old 28 January 2002, 13:36   #1

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
small boats doing big things together

To anyone with a smaller RIB between 4 and 6 metres who fancies cruising further away but does not either have the confidence of going alone or does not know many others with boats then I am trying to organise a some sort of club with cruises in the summer.
If any person does not have a boat but still fancied coming along and already has RIB experience then they can always go with a less experienced boat to help them.
I am based in Southampton as a merchant naval deck officer and have therefore all the proffesional qualifications. I also am waiting to do my powerboat instructors course, which again if a RIB club was formed then there maybe a possiblity of formal training at a cheaper rate than at a centre.
If anyone is interested then email at...
badbaws@hotmail.com
and I will endevour to respond
Alex
Old 28 January 2002, 14:13   #2

Town: Sevenoaks
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Mariner
Send a message via AIM to Andy.R
Hi Alex,
Yup, am interested. Have a 4m Avon. My Summers do however get very booked with Scout activities, check the site in my message footer.
I am also an Instructor if that can help at all, planing on doing my Advanced at some point this year.
Please keep me informed.
Andy.
z
Old 28 January 2002, 14:23   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Alex

Sounds good! From the discussions here there should be plenty of interest.

Do you particularly want to form a new club to do this? BIBOA (the British Inflatable Boat Owners Association) already exists and welcomes anyone wanting to organise events for small boats.

John
Old 28 January 2002, 16:16   #4

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
BIBOA

BIBOA certainly does try to welcome all sizes of RIB and skill levels of crew. As Cruising Coordinator I would say that wouldn't I?!

Please let me know if you want more info on BIBOA cruises. One point about forming another club - the nasty subject of insurance and liability is one to be very aware of. There have been several cases recently of RIB owners/skippers being sued by crew etc for injuries sustained whilst ribbing. Its an unfortunate thing but we live in an increasingly litigious society. BIBOA insists rightly so that all members have third party liability insurance before they attend a cruise and we will be very vigilant in checking this this year. The club also has to have extensive liability insurance to cover the officers and members who organise events. This does not come cheap I can assure you!

A cruise between a bunch of individuals - rib.net subscribers, biboa members etc on an informal basis should not need to worry about all this. A formal club would need to. For me one of the greatest things about being a BIBOA member is meeting other likeminded folk and arranging cruises with them in addition to club organised cruises.

Cheers, Alan
Old 28 January 2002, 16:30   #5

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll

I'm in BIBOA and my boat a SIB is only 3.4m! I've just emailed details of a planned 'Highlands Explorer' event to Yvonne @ BIBOA specifically for owners of smaller RIBs and SIBs.

Having read what you said about technophobes perhaps I should print it out and sent it snail mail?

Cheers

Keith Hart
Old 28 January 2002, 16:35   #6

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
As a small boat owner I have just joined BIBOA with the main purpose of getting more use out of it this year by going on "cruises" in groups.

There seems to be a number of us with small ones on this forum (Keith and Myself to start with) who are now members of BIBOA.

It makes sense to use this existing club and have "cruises" suitable for large and small ribs. (Some of the small ribsters may be able to "crew" on some of the larger trips)

Lets "club together" - I'm unlikely to pay out to join another club.

I for one would be interested in day trips - there's no room for my suitcase on my RIB

If you are a BIBOA member I can't see any problem with you organising a trip and publishing it through the club - any comments?

Now is the time to join BIBOA as the membership lasts till the end of Dec!

A couple of us are planning a small "Winter Warmer" on the Thames - See "Thames Licences" thread for info - you are welcome to join us!
Old 28 January 2002, 17:20   #7

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Hey Jools, yours may be smaller than mine but you've got twice the power!

Cheers

Keith (small and proud of it) Hart
Old 28 January 2002, 18:46   #8

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Size doesn't matter, its what you do with it that counts !!!

Thats always been my excuse!!!!!!!!
Old 28 January 2002, 19:05   #9

Small but perfectly formed?

Keith,

Don't worry. There is a scarcity of webmasterish skills on the BIBOA committee but email isn't a problem! Well not most of the time. I have been encouraging a move from fax to email for committee member stuff. Getting there slowly!!

I'm glad you have sent your cruise proposal to Yvonne. I'll tie up with her to make sure its in the April RIBLINES.

Jools,

Couldn't agree more with all you say! We are determined to make every attempt this year to cater for all as I say. Given some thought and understanding both small (say sub 5.5m) and larger ribs can cruise on the same event although possibly not together. To explain (forgive me if I am stating the obvious!) smaller boats can't make the same speed as larger boats. The trap not too get into is for the smaller boats to try and cruise at say 30kts+ and the larger not to try and cruise at say 18-20kts. The solution is of course for the smaller boats to buddy up and depart in advance of the larger ones who can then act as "sweeper" as they follow on behind.

Of course there will be occasions/cruises/weather where frankly it would be daft to try the same things in a 4.5m boat as you would in a 8m but most (not all) Ribsters are endowed with a hefty lump of common sense! There are many cruises - East Coast, Thames, South West to name a few that a small boat might be a positive advantage for!

If you, or anyone else wants to organise and have BIBOA promote a small boat event then let me know. We can provide advice, support (both logistical and moral!) and publicity through RIBLINES etc.

And now I'll get off my soapbox!

Alan
Old 28 January 2002, 19:37   #10

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
I also started small but kept playing and got a lot bigger !! But back to the RIBs I hope to be out a lot more this year and often get out in the Solent on impromptu days if the weather looks good. So join BIBOA and we can all cruise together.

John
Old 28 January 2002, 19:46   #11

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
MY MY, this sounds like history repeating itself from the dark ages of 1990. In BIBOA's hey day it would be a common sight for 20 - 25 ribs to get together over a weekend. We used to run a family week anywhere from Fowey - Jersey. The first year saw 20 boats and families. The trouble is all the kids grew up and left leaving a bunch of old farts to sit around the table talking about the "good old days"

Alan P
Old 05 February 2002, 19:52   #12

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
I too have just joined BIBOA (posted the application this morning).

I am about to take delivery of my brand new Avon 6.2 with Honda 130, but intend keeping my Narwhal 4 Metre with Suzuki 40 for use when I'm aone, or when a smaller boat is more practical.

I would support the organisation of trips through BIBOA rather than a separate organisation.

As for impromptu trips as mentioned above - does BIBOA have a club pennant that can be flown to identify members to each other? - would seem to make sense rather than having to ask everyone you see if they are members.
Old 05 February 2002, 21:07   #13

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
JK - What do you think a RIBnet pennant or sticker????

Could be good for SOC weekend
Old 05 February 2002, 21:43   #14

Graeme, BIBOA pennants

are available at reasonable prices to members!
Just ask Jim or Yvonne Mackintosh.

Alan
Old 06 February 2002, 09:26   #15

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Wow, there are some really interesting things coming out here.

I will be in touch with Jim to get my BIBOA pennant - which I intend to fly proudly from my A Frame!

A Ribnet Pennant also sounds good - and if we can get something together in time for SOC send off that wold be even better!

Will there be an 'I was There' (Max Boyce Fans take note of the Welsh Theme!) pennant/sticker or whatever for the SOC send off? - Would be a great thing to have in years to come to remnd us all of what can be achieved with the right Spirit.