Old 26 January 2021, 14:09   #1
ST6

Town: Plymouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin 115hp
Slipway in North Sunderland/ Seahouses?

Hello,

I appreciate lockdowns etc will have curtailed some activities but does any one have any recent information on the slipway at North Sunderland harbour? Is it open? Not looking at using it until the summer but information is sparse and contradictory. Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 26 January 2021, 15:04   #2

Town: Whitley Bay
Boat name: Magnum
Make: Revenger
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar Diesel 315hp
MMSI: 232020638
RIBase
From the R.N.Y.C. Sailing Directions it says "Seahouses Harbour lies at the southern end of the Farne Inner Sound, 2 miles south of the islands. Its a fishing harbour with a hectic tourist trade. There is an Inner and Outer Harbour, both of which dry. Shelter in the Outer Harbour is poor. Harbour Master tel: 01665 720 033 Mobile: 07432 134 808 or VHF Channel 8." The slip isn't mentioned. Worth a call.
Old 26 January 2021, 16:49   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
The slip is a half tide slip onto very deep mud. There’s a barrier at the top of the slip. The last time we used it was around 10yrs ago. The harbour master at the time was very anti-RIB/diver/day boat & would lock or un-lock the barrier whenever it suited him. The harbour was dominated by the local trip boats & fishermen. I don’t know if things have changed in the recent past, but it was more hassle than it was worth. There’s a launch at Beadnell which is aimed at “tourist” boats.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 16:51   #4

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
In non lockdown times the North Sunderland (Seahouses) public slip is normally open to leisure craft between April and October. Last years costs were £30 but need to factor in car park charges of £4 all day. Overnight berths in outer harbour are £10.

Also a couple of miles south at Beadnell Bay is a tractor launch direct onto the beach at all states of tide. Costs £30 (plus car parking).
Old 27 January 2021, 07:10   #5
ST6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhe35 View Post
From the R.N.Y.C. Sailing Directions it says "Seahouses Harbour lies at the southern end of the Farne Inner Sound, 2 miles south of the islands. Its a fishing harbour with a hectic tourist trade. There is an Inner and Outer Harbour, both of which dry. Shelter in the Outer Harbour is poor. Harbour Master tel: 01665 720 033 Mobile: 07432 134 808 or VHF Channel 8." The slip isn't mentioned. Worth a call.
Great thank you, I’m surprised to hear the outer harbour dries as well from the looks of it on the chart it looked like it stayed wet. I must need a bigger scale! Thanks!
Old 27 January 2021, 07:11   #6
ST6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
The slip is a half tide slip onto very deep mud. There’s a barrier at the top of the slip. The last time we used it was around 10yrs ago. The harbour master at the time was very anti-RIB/diver/day boat & would lock or un-lock the barrier whenever it suited him. The harbour was dominated by the local trip boats & fishermen. I don’t know if things have changed in the recent past, but it was more hassle than it was worth. There’s a launch at Beadnell which is aimed at “tourist” boats.
Yea this is what i’ve been hearing that the slip is open on a whim, didnt know about half tide so thanks for that.
Old 27 January 2021, 07:12   #7
ST6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
In non lockdown times the North Sunderland (Seahouses) public slip is normally open to leisure craft between April and October. Last years costs were £30 but need to factor in car park charges of £4 all day. Overnight berths in outer harbour are £10.

Also a couple of miles south at Beadnell Bay is a tractor launch direct onto the beach at all states of tide. Costs £30 (plus car parking).
Thanks for the cost updates, useful to know. Space in the car park for a 9m trailer? Or anything else nearby?
Old 27 January 2021, 09:34   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST6 View Post
Thanks for the cost updates, useful to know. Space in the car park for a 9m trailer? Or anything else nearby?

Re. Beadnell beach launch. The last time we were there (10yrs[emoji848]) there’s a big public car park which can get busy at weekends. The launch/recovery off the beach can get “sporty” especially if the conditions change whilst you’re out, there are rocks lurking at low tide. I see you have a 9m trailer, so assuming your boat is a similar size, you may need some bodies to help recover. I’ve had to drive the RIB up onto the beach a couple of times, & winch her on dry when it blew up.
There’s a launch at Amble, I’ve never used it & it’s on my list of things to do. It might be a bit more civilised.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 10:02   #9
ST6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Re. Beadnell beach launch. The last time we were there (10yrs[emoji848]) there’s a big public car park which can get busy at weekends. The launch/recovery off the beach can get “sporty” especially if the conditions change whilst you’re out, there are rocks lurking at low tide. I see you have a 9m trailer, so assuming your boat is a similar size, you may need some bodies to help recover. I’ve had to drive the RIB up onto the beach a couple of times, & winch her on dry when it blew up.
There’s a launch at Amble, I’ve never used it & it’s on my list of things to do. It might be a bit more civilised.

Great thanks for the information, yes the rib is 8m, have looked at Amble and it may be the best option was just trying to avoid the drive up to the Farnes. Thanks for the advice!
Old 27 January 2021, 14:38   #10

Town: Preston
Boat name: Katy Blue/Banana Yuk
Make: Ribcraft / Mirror
Engine: Suzuki DF90
MMSI: 235086157
These two dive RIBs operate(d) regularly from Beadnell, so you *should* be fine there:
https://www.facebook.com/farneIsland...2741817118030/
https://www.facebook.com/farneisland...3866922332389/
The rocks are more in the middle of Beadnell Bay, and are easily avoided if you go straight out. And their position is easily seen at low tide.
Being tucked in behind Beadnell Point and the harbour, the launch point is normally well sheltered.
The tractor guy parks unloaded trailers above the high tide line on the beach. On a busy summer weekend there can be >30 trailers. Getting there early is the key. I'll dig out his tel number when I'm on my other computer.
Main issue for me over the years has been the tractor's mechanical unreliability - it's not unknown to lose a week whilst he fixes it. The barrier remains locked on those days (immediate DIY recoveries excepted). I did see a tractor breakdown last year when a cabin RIB nearly got stranded - recovered after an almighty faff by a Volvo XC60 with a long rope from the car park - so there is a chance the tractor guy might now be more cautious with larger RIBs.

I think the Seahouses public slip stayed closed ALL through last year. I can't remember if that was Covid else a lifeboat refurbish thing though.

Update, see also:
http://beadnellbayboatlaunch.co.uk/
Although clearly not well updated, that first tel number ties in with a more recent photo I took of a sticker in the tractor's cab.
Old 27 January 2021, 18:48   #11

Based and launch at Beadnell in season and echo Neil R’s comments.

It’s a beach launch so don’t expect pan flat Marina/Estuary slip conditions. However, launch area is South facing and semi protected by Beadnell Point/Harbour so waves and swell negligible unless there’s a Southerly/South Easterly blowing.

Agree, need to be aware of Burn Carrs and Robins Wood rocks in the bay (visible at low to half tide), but all charted and not a problem with unhindered launching/access available at all states of tide. Beach very gently shelving fine sand so expect to give your trailer hubs a dunking.

Plenty of commercial dive and private ribs regularly launch here. If the tractors working Jim’ll happily launch your 3m or 9m rig. Hand launch fee for small boats/sibs £10.

Seahouses slip closed all last year due to major construction works strengthening the harbour sea wall...fully open this year. In addition to Amble there is also a public slip at Craster...£10 fee I think.
Old 28 January 2021, 10:45   #12
ST6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil R View Post
These two dive RIBs operate(d) regularly from Beadnell, so you *should* be fine there:
The rocks are more in the middle of Beadnell Bay, and are easily avoided if you go straight out. And their position is easily seen at low tide.
Being tucked in behind Beadnell Point and the harbour, the launch point is normally well sheltered.
The tractor guy parks unloaded trailers above the high tide line on the beach. On a busy summer weekend there can be >30 trailers. Getting there early is the key. I'll dig out his tel number when I'm on my other computer.
Main issue for me over the years has been the tractor's mechanical unreliability - it's not unknown to lose a week whilst he fixes it. The barrier remains locked on those days (immediate DIY recoveries excepted). I did see a tractor breakdown last year when a cabin RIB nearly got stranded - recovered after an almighty faff by a Volvo XC60 with a long rope from the car park - so there is a chance the tractor guy might now be more cautious with larger RIBs.

I think the Seahouses public slip stayed closed ALL through last year. I can't remember if that was Covid else a lifeboat refurbish thing though.

Update, see also:
Beadnell Bay Boat Launch - Serviced boat launching facility in Beadnell, Northumberland, for divers, fishing and pleasure activites.
Although clearly not well updated, that first tel number ties in with a more recent photo I took of a sticker in the tractor's cab.
Brilliant thank you for the information, certainly tallying with what I had thought before.
Old 28 January 2021, 10:45   #13
ST6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Based and launch at Beadnell in season and echo Neil R’s comments.

It’s a beach launch so don’t expect pan flat Marina/Estuary slip conditions. However, launch area is South facing and semi protected by Beadnell Point/Harbour so waves and swell negligible unless there’s a Southerly/South Easterly blowing.

Agree, need to be aware of Burn Carrs and Robins Wood rocks in the bay (visible at low to half tide), but all charted and not a problem with unhindered launching/access available at all states of tide. Beach very gently shelving fine sand so expect to give your trailer hubs a dunking.

Plenty of commercial dive and private ribs regularly launch here. If the tractors working Jim’ll happily launch your 3m or 9m rig. Hand launch fee for small boats/sibs £10.

Seahouses slip closed all last year due to major construction works strengthening the harbour sea wall...fully open this year. In addition to Amble there is also a public slip at Craster...£10 fee I think.
Thank-you for the information, will be looking at Craster now....!
Old 28 January 2021, 10:46   #14
ST6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil R View Post

Update, see also:
Beadnell Bay Boat Launch - Serviced boat launching facility in Beadnell, Northumberland, for divers, fishing and pleasure activites.

Blimey. I could live without an exciting recovery at the end of a long day at sea! All useful information, thank you.
Old 26 April 2021, 08:46   #15

Town: Lanchester
Boat name: Taz
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Mercury outboard
Beadnell beach launch

Hi guys , update on Beadnell beach launch by tractor.
Unfortunately Jimmy’s tractor has finally given up the ghost. He’s currently looking for another but not having any luck. So as it stands don’t turn up at weekends and expect to launch.I’m in regular contact with him so will report here any changes, as soon as I know..
Old 05 September 2021, 18:48   #16

Town: Cumbria
Boat name: Honwav t30 ae
Make: Honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp
Any news on launch and new tractor ? How's craster for launching

Thx
Old 05 September 2021, 19:12   #17

Town: Lanchester
Boat name: Taz
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Mercury outboard
A new tractor did eventually appear. Unfortunately it was less reliable than the old one. There won’t be a tractor service for the rest of the year, so I’m told.
I think changes will be made by the council for next year. They are committed to running a good quality tractor launch for next year.
Old 06 September 2021, 18:18   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbria View Post
Any news on launch and new tractor ? How's craster for launching

Thx

Ha! Ha! Tractor launch has been a nightmare this year and last, all thanks to Jim, bless him. Managed three launches this year, and we’re based at Beaders all season.

Aye! he did part chop two knackered tractors for this little freebie beauty;

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3364.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	138708

In fairness not half as bad as it looks, think Mater’s tractor chums (the cows) from Cars, just needed a little TLC…aka new clutch, starter motor and battery. SadlyTLC not in Jim’s vocabulary, use it till it’s broke then don’t fix it and sod off to all his customers.

Council have also been an arse….not bothered whether there’s a launch there or not, despite current breach of contract. Have shown no interest in allowing another contractor to take over despite local parties all set to go with reliable launch machinery.

Anyways, as reported above, don’t expect any tractor launch a Beadnell this season.

You can self launch at Seahouses harbour slipway for £30 plus parking at most tides….use a rope at lows. Craster slipway is also a viable option and only £10 I think…not launched there for many years though.
Old 05 May 2022, 10:09   #19

Boat name: Impulse
Make: Zodiac Pro Open 550
Engine: Johnson 90
New launch facility at Beadnell Bay

New launch facility at Beadnell Bay from May 2022 bookable through their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/The-Beadnel...08843861801665
Old 06 May 2022, 11:07   #20

First launch for us last Sunday with the new Beadnell Boat Launch crew. So excited to have this service back. Hope it’s well supported to make all the effort Neil and his team have put in worthwhile.

Very friendly, professional launch and recovery behind their mahoosive and very smart Clayton ex crop sprayer. We only have a small rib but dwarfed behind this monster…another good excuse for a bigger boat methinks. [emoji3]

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4693.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	140425