Old 11 March 2015, 21:06   #1

Town: Abaco, Bahamas
Boat name: No name
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150 hp
Sliding the tubes back on (what lubricant?)

I have just re-glued the 'rope-bolts' back on to my Zodiac 650 Pro tubes which detached in several places due to age.

My question is - what type of lubricant have people found most effective to help slide the tubes back on to the hull with minimal tugging?

I have previously used dish washing-up liquid (Fairy, Joy, etc) diluted and full strength in copious quantities but these have helped very little both in removing the tubes and previously replacing them.

Has anyone tried smearing the rope bolt with Vaseline or can you recommend another product which works? Any thoughts, ideas and direct experiences appreciated. Thanks.

Peter.
Old 11 March 2015, 21:20   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Caveat: I've never done it, but I would think you'd want to avoid anything greasy - it would collect dust and dirt, and not sure having oils in contact with the fabric would be all that great long term.

I'd go with soapy water if at all possible.

jky
Old 12 March 2015, 00:00   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binty_Bexter View Post
Has anyone tried smearing the rope bolt with Vaseline or can you recommend another product which works? Any thoughts, ideas and direct experiences appreciated. Thanks.
Hypalon is pretty resistant to most chemicals, but its going to end up stuck in the "channel" and therefore in permanent contact, so I wouldn't want to use vaseline. Fairy liquid is probably ok - but it is a bit sticky...

There are some lubricants which are, ahem, specially formulated for use with delicate rubbers. I believe they are water soluble too - so should wash off at least as easily as fairy.
Old 12 March 2015, 01:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

There are some lubricants which are, ahem, specially formulated for use with delicate rubbers. I believe they are water soluble too - so should wash off at least as easily as fairy.
Something like 'KY' I think you are thinking? I did consider that product too and I guess it would also help to keep the tubes from going soft!!

Good point about Vaseline, thanks.

Any other suggestions out there?

(PS. My tubes are PVC)
Old 12 March 2015, 02:00   #5

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Isn't wire pulling lubricant water soluble? For pulling electrical wire through conduit.

Or this should do it. http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Natura.../dp/B005MR3IVO

Make sure to read the reviews. Also make sure you are not eating or drinking when you do read them.

Jason
Old 12 March 2015, 08:13   #6

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Something like 'KY' I think you are thinking? I did consider that product too and I guess it would also help to keep the tubes from going soft!!

(PS. My tubes are PVC)
I'd like to see the reaction at the chemists when you ask for a case of KY to "lube my 6.5m tube"!!!!
Old 12 March 2015, 08:36   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I'd like to see the reaction at the chemists when you ask for a case of KY to "lube my 6.5m tube"!!!!
And that you require 5 litres!

You could also try TFR, that stuff is fairly slippy. Plenty hot water and get some people to help. You could even hook up a ratchet strap and haul the tubes on if it plays hardball. Once they're on just rinse the whole lot down.
Old 12 March 2015, 11:37   #8

Thanks for all the great ideas, guys. I'll look into the wire pulling lube. Hadn't thought of that one! I think I'll give the KY and TFR options the slip.
Old 12 March 2015, 12:10   #9

Town: Connecticut
Engine: Undecided
tube installation

Your best bet is to use Dishsoap. Once installed it will wash away and not attract dirt, grit, and other crud into the track area. Since it dissolves, don't be afraid to use copious amounts to make the job easier.
Old 12 March 2015, 12:22   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
Isn't wire pulling lubricant water soluble? For pulling electrical wire through conduit.

Or this should do it. http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Natura.../dp/B005MR3IVO

Make sure to read the reviews. Also make sure you are not eating or drinking when you do read them.

Jason
Is it kosher? A:
No. It is used for porking.
Blowfish answered on October 23, 2013

PMSL
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2015, 12:28   #11

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
I re-fitted mine a few weeks ago. A spray bottle of very soapy water did the job. I think we used 1 part cheap car shampoo in about 4 parts water and spray liberally. Make sure you have somebody to guide the tube into the channel as it can snag easily.

Phil M
Old 12 March 2015, 12:39   #12

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Dawn dish soap in a garden sprayer with water and water based wire pulling lubricant.

It is wise to clean, buff, and wax the fiberglass before the install. A lot of the friction is caused by the tube material against the fiberglass, not so much the bolt rope.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2015, 14:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Dawn dish soap in a garden sprayer with water and water based wire pulling lubricant.

It is wise to clean, buff, and wax the fiberglass before the install. A lot of the friction is caused by the tube material against the fiberglass, not so much the bolt rope.
Amongst all the other great suggestions, I like this one too. I will wax the fibreglass first as recommended. Hadn't thought of that.

With all this talk of various 'lubricants' going on, it occurred to me that regular cheap cooking oil (cheap and easily obtainable) may work. Slather it on and then, when the tubes are in place, give the grooves and tubes a good spray down with dish soap/detergent to emulsify the oil and rinse??
Any reasons why that won't work?
Old 12 March 2015, 14:33   #14

Quote:
Amongst all the other great suggestions, I like this one too. I will wax the fibreglass first as recommended. Hadn't thought of that.

With all this talk of various 'lubricants' going on, it occurred to me that regular cheap cooking oil (cheap and easily obtainable) may work. Slather it on and then, when the tubes are in place, give the grooves and tubes a good spray down with dish soap/detergent to emulsify the oil and rinse??
Any reasons why that won't work?
Dishsoap diluted with water works fine, and is utilized by Zodiac North America. You can find a video on youtube from their factory.

Oils may attack and degrade PVC, as well as leave a nasty film.

The official service manual recommends soap or 303 aerospace protectant (at the $30/bottle that stuff costs though, no thank you!).
Old 12 March 2015, 14:44   #15

Richard,
I've had the tubes off twice before and used dish soap both times. Unfortunately, for me, it didn't work as well as I had hoped. It involved serious effort to remove and re-attach the tubes. As the boat and I am on a Bahamian out-island, with limited resources, the 303 you mention would, unfortunately, not be an option.
Old 12 March 2015, 14:54   #16

Quote:
Richard,
I've had the tubes off twice before and used dish soap both times. Unfortunately, for me, it didn't work as well as I had hoped. It involved serious effort to remove and re-attach the tubes. As the boat and I am on a Bahamian out-island, with limited resources, the 303 you mention would, unfortunately, not be an option.
Do you have an assistant?

It really takes two people minimum...one to guide the bolt-rope in to the track and prevent kinking (If it kinks, the bolt can jam, or gouge a sharp fiberglass edge in to the bolt rope) and one person to pull. Grab the tubeset as close to the bolt rope as you can when pulling it on.

For boats over 5 meters, I recommend a 3 people...one to guide, two to pull.

Also, you want to have the boat on a trailer, hooked up to a vehicle so that way the yanking energy is transferred to the tubeset and not to the trailer wheels.

You may want to wash the inside of the track as well. If there is fouling present, hit the inside of the track with some bottom cleaner.
Old 12 March 2015, 15:13   #17

Richard,
I do have one assistant but have not had a third person before. Good advice, which I shall follow. It is on a trailer but I did not hitch it up to my pick-up previously. I did chock the wheels, however, to prevent movement and also dropped the trailer tongue onto the ground (retracting the jockey wheel) to present the grooves as near to horizontal as possible.
The truck-bed would provide a perfect platform to lay the tubes onto for pulling into the hull grooves.

Thanks again for the tips.
Old 12 March 2015, 18:57   #18

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Do you have an assistant?

It really takes two people minimum...one to guide the bolt-rope in to the track and prevent kinking (If it kinks, the bolt can jam, or gouge a sharp fiberglass edge in to the bolt rope) and one person to pull. Grab the tubeset as close to the bolt rope as you can when pulling it on.

For boats over 5 meters, I recommend a 3 people...one to guide, two to pull.

Also, you want to have the boat on a trailer, hooked up to a vehicle so that way the yanking energy is transferred to the tubeset and not to the trailer wheels.

You may want to wash the inside of the track as well. If there is fouling present, hit the inside of the track with some bottom cleaner.
All good advice. Managing the tube that is not on the boat yet was also a challenge as they are heavy and hard to move. We had the boat on the trailer attached to the pickup and pit the tubes in the back of the truck to feed them in.

As for using oil, there really is no need as soap and water are fine, less of an environmental issue and will leave you with clean tubes. Oil will never fully wash off and could cause slippery tubes and deck. The smell of chips (french fries) on hot sunny days might also be a problem.

Phil M
Old 12 March 2015, 20:25   #19

Length: no boat
Sorry commented on wrong thread..
Old 12 March 2015, 20:54   #20

Can someone please post a link to a youtube video showing the installation process?
I have looked on Google and Youtube myself without success. Thx