Old 02 July 2017, 07:48   #21

Length: 5m +
Nice, thanks for taking the time to post the examples.

The only problem I see with a caravan and RIB is the requirement for two tow vehicles if moving longer distances around the U.K. Or does one person drive the caravan to the next location while the other goes via sea with the RIB? Personally, I do like the idea of being more self-sufficient but tend to use hotels these days, rather than stay onboard.

I have owned sailing boats and motor boats with basic accommodation for over nighting but do like a hot shower and good hotel breakfast. When younger, I explored the coast and camped with a Zodiac inflatable. Great fun and, being tiller steered, there was a lot of open space to sleep if not camping ashore.

I suppose a tiller steered RIB would give a lot more space if wanting to camp aboard and keep the costs down.

The OP fancied an ex-RNLI Atlantic 21. Would there be room to camp on one of these? Anyone tried?
Old 02 July 2017, 07:55   #22

Town: Redditch
Boat name: Hydra
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: TWINS
I used to tow the caravan and the Miss would tow the boat but we have a caravan on a seasonal pitch now and will move it each year to a different area and it works well.
Old 02 July 2017, 08:21   #23

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Just about to head away for a bit of remote camping, heading 76km offshore then island hopping around 500-600km of offshore coral atolls. Carrying enough fuel and water and double anchoring while asleep takes a fair amount of space. We only take rice and noodles and rely on fresh fish and lobsters for food.
Old 02 July 2017, 08:31   #24
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post
The OP fancied an ex-RNLI Atlantic 21. Would there be room to camp on one of these? Anyone tried?
Did he? He doesn't mention one! He said "orange RIB RNLI style " which in theory could be any orange RIB from 6m to 8m. Ricochet certainly falls within those parameters.
Old 02 July 2017, 08:33   #25

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Just about to head away for a bit of remote camping, heading 76km offshore then island hopping around 500-600km of offshore coral atolls. Carrying enough fuel and water and double anchoring while asleep takes a fair amount of space. We only take rice and noodles and rely on fresh fish and lobsters for food.
Now!...THAT sounds the Dogs Dooley's
Be great to see some pic's!!!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 July 2017, 13:20   #26

Ah, my mistake. True. Maybe an orange RIB then.
Old 02 July 2017, 13:26   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post

There is room for a casualty lying down in one, not sure it would be the most comfortable option... and the open transom designed get rid of excesss water in a hurry doesn't make for pipe and slippers type camping!

I think there really a couple of extremes if you don't want a cabin - either the well thought out 'designed for the job' solutions like maxi's removable seats and ribochet's excellent cover or the simplest improvisation. It's like the difference between throwing a mattress in the back of a transit van and having a camper!
Old 02 July 2017, 13:53   #28

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Here's a few comments from me regarding comfort, all IMHO as what I've found to be the case, I'm sure others' experiences will differ.

Sleeping aboard in a harbour is generally very good because of the shelter and the gentle swaying of the boat is actually comforting and enhances sleep. Also, the boat is, or should be, secure so no background worries about anchors, wind direction etc.

Camping wild on the boat is a different story and comfort will depend almost entirely on the weather and sea conditions - primarily the wind and it's direction.

In calm conditions which are lasting then there is nothing much to be concerned about except you set the anchor well and you've plenty of depth at low tide on the shallow side of the boat and the anchor light is on. (A bright garden type solar light will do well for the few hours of darkness in the summer months and it'll remove a battery drain issue if you've not got much power reserve.)

In a breeze, even a force 2 to 3, you could end up sea sick or have a bad sleep if where you choose to stay is not the best. Firstly you need to anchor well and be absolutely certain you're not going to move, secondly you need anchor room because there's every likelihood that the wind will swing you during the night. Neither of these will make you physically uncomfortable but if you're unsure, you'll sleep lightly.

Where you anchor will have a bearing on your physical being and, as a few folk have indicated, sea sickness is possible even on a small swell if you're under cover or have to undertake tasks aboard without looking out to sea. A typical and attractive anchorage in a small bay may or may not be a good choice, it could start off very pleasantly but turn bad on a wind change, the converse is also true. The reason is to do with wind direction and wave direction and they're frequently not the same, especially in sheltered areas. Lets say you're lying to a good anchor in a secluded bay at the back of an island, no one else is there and the wind is just an offshore breeze - sounds idyllic - maybe aye, maybe no. There will likely be a swell from the ocean which will come into your bay from offshore so contrary to your wind waves, the strength of this will depend on the weather preceding your arrival and it will be coming at you from the stern. The wind waves will wrap around the island by diffraction and will probably not enter your bay square on, worse still, you may have these waves wrapping around the island from both sides! So now you've got a light head wave train, a diagonal wave train from left and from right, probably out of sequence with each other, and finally you've got the overall slow swell coming from your stern. Very sick making! You could be better off in a more exposed location with a stronger exposure to the breeze but fewer cross waves to rock and roll you.

Plainly you can have any or no combination of these conditions so it's very difficult to assess before you arrive at your chosen anchorage.

I the wind picks up to a 4 or 5 you could have a very bad night or simply leave and look for better shelter.

I have no water bound solution for this but simply pass it by you since if you've not done it, sitting in your planning armchair you'd be forgiven for thinking differently.

A rib doesn't tend to have the slower motion of a larger boat or a sail boat but it does respond to pretty much every wave passing by. If it chops up a little from the side you'll get slapped by waves and they'll likely splash aboard too.

If you find yourself inadvertently in a poor situation, it's not unreasonable to lay your anchor a little offshore, beach the boat and tie it off to land and sleep ashore, you'll get a few hours sleep while the tide rises or falls and comes back to the same position at which time you get back aboard at least a little rested, or possibly very rested depending on the state of the tide. Plainly you do not do this at time of high tide!! It may not come as far in on the next tide and you'll be stuck for a while! On the plus side, you won't be sea sick.

Finally, in no way am I suggesting not to do it but be aware it can vary from a simple exercise to quite a handful to manage.
Old 02 July 2017, 19:14   #29

Make: Avon R280 Tender
Engine: Me Rowing!
Thanks for all the responses, very helpful. It would be hard to sell my sail boat, sniff, but if I want to travel a RIB seems the way to go once again.

My budget however would only be 15K max once I have sold my boat.

This seemed a bargain.

Humber - 5.5 Destroyer RIBs and Inflatable Boats for sale in Cumbria, North West | Boats and Outboards

With a few more quid I should be able to get something bigger and decent next year... possibly!
Old 02 July 2017, 21:31   #30

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
I have camped on my rib many times using a music festival type tent, cost about £15 and folds down to a 1 metre diameter and 10 cm wide. I erect it on the sunbathing area at the front - I have a leisure RIB not a industrial /commercial type so perhaps easier to do. I have never moored out at sea, I always finish up a river somewhere. I have a gas stove for cooking or having a brew. If the petrol tank is fitted and vented properly there is no danger from fumes etc. Can't recommend it enough.
Old 03 July 2017, 06:15   #31

This is what Drascombe sailing boat owners do 'Slutty'. I sold my Yacht due to seasickness and now have a 22' Drascombe trailer sailer (need to update my profile) for more coastal/estuary/river sailing which has a half cabin and a bespoke tent which extends over the cockpit and fits over drain rods or flexible tent poles which just bend over and fit inside the gunnels. Many with open boats however do exacktly as you do and simply buy a cheap tent and erect it (titter!) on the boat. If you find the right one they can fit perfectly

As you say nothing better than staying overnight up an inlet, where few other boats can go and waking up to oyster catchers at dawn and knocking up a feast of bacon wrapped in dates with fried tomatoes.

I thought I would never sell my Drascombe as I launch her from locations along the south coast, Norfolk etc BUT to actually be able to cross the channel or even hop from Chichester Harbour to Poole, to Weymouth, Lyme etc would be great. A trip around around the UK would be incredible , even if it had to be done over a few years due to work commitments.
Old 03 July 2017, 06:40   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
This is what Drascombe sailing boat owners do 'Slutty'. I sold my Yacht due to seasickness and now have a 22' Drascombe trailer sailer (need to update my profile) for more coastal/estuary/river sailing which has a half cabin and a bespoke tent which extends over the cockpit and fits over drain rods or flexible tent poles which just bend over and fit inside the gunnels. Many with open boats however do exacktly as you do and simply buy a cheap tent and erect it (titter!) on the boat. If you find the right one they can fit perfectly

As you say nothing better than staying overnight up an inlet, where few other boats can go and waking up to oyster catchers at dawn and knocking up a feast of bacon wrapped in dates with fried tomatoes.

I thought I would never sell my Drascombe as I launch her from locations along the south coast, Norfolk etc BUT to actually be able to cross the channel or even hop from Chichester Harbour to Poole, to Weymouth, Lyme etc would be great. A trip around around the UK would be incredible , even if it had to be done over a few years due to work commitments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Out of my league at 34k but that would be the kiddie for me Willk, thanks for that, it shows it can be done...
Old 03 July 2017, 08:17   #33

If you wait until late summer/ early autumn then you should get more for your money. The summer is not the best time to buy, as you no doubt know. Humber sometimes have some good offers on their website, may be worth taking a look.
Old 10 July 2017, 11:55   #34

Well once again I have decided to keep my sailing boat. Stugeron sea sick tablets saved the day under nasty wind over tide conditions to Lulworth Cove. I have to admit however that under those conditions I would have much preferred to be in a RIB. I would have not gone out in such a sea usually but It was part of a rally.... so going out in calmer conditions, the huge plus of having accommodation and the "pleasure" of sailing has made me keep my boat.

I need a RIB as well

I met a guy on the slip who bought a 2005 6.5 m Humber OP with a 2.6m beam for 12k with a very good engine. This was two years ago so what a bargain, I have seen them advertised for betwen 15-18k. Need to save some pennies first!

Tags
rib