Old 24 August 2010, 16:19   #1

Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
Shocking! More health and safety stuff..

What do you good folk make of this new wave of nonsense to come out of Europe. http://www.sportsboat.co.uk/news/lat...ation-no-shock

I am guessing it will effect the rib charter boys to start with.
Old 24 August 2010, 16:27   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quite a few of "the solent" operators have ben talking about this for a while and a few of us have introduced staff awareness and monitoring processes along with extended briefing to cover shock and how to mitigate injuries from vibration and sudden movements/shock.

We are also reviewing the foam used on fixed seats , and costing this area, but as said the overall costs for the likes of suspension seats could put people out of business and would reduce the numbers we could carry due to size of suspension seating.

Shock reduction is now law and we have had to follow guidelines, I understand there may even be a case going towards the high court for damages in the future.

This article is good to focus others minds and there is pletnty of written word on reports available via the net.
I am sure more will follow.
Old 24 August 2010, 16:30   #3

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
A bit of high density foam under your butt and a wing back seat may be all that's needed to satisfy the regs?! Who knows until the detail is revealed.

Can't blame Mr Young for picking up on it though. Mr Ullman et al might be along soon!
Old 24 August 2010, 20:19   #4

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
We were very aware of this new legislation coming and this was reflected in choosing the Parker and the seating layout. This gave us a head start, but like others taking this seriously, are continuing to investigate and invest in equipment and proceedures to mitigate shock on both crew and passengers.

There is a very fine line to be trod, as if the legislation required full shock seats throughout on a 12 passenger rib like ours, it would require 14 seats at roughly £2500 each (£35000+). This would be financial suicide.

Interestingly, since 2006 any high speed vessel sold by a manufacturer should have complied with this legislation, but it would appear that most have choosen to ignore it??? So Andre can I have all my suspension seats now please .....
Old 24 August 2010, 20:30   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Steve , interesting regarding manufacturers. I am aware of one who spoke to the Marine Federation and were told they needed a risk assessment done to cover their staff yet kept well away from telling them the law relating to the construction also. Following that poor response I have asked the Federation for the legal response which they have ignored. Boat show cometh!
Old 24 August 2010, 20:51   #6

Boat name: No name yet
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF30
"In the case of sea and air transport, given the current
state of the art it is not possible to comply in all circumstances
with the exposure limit values for whole-body
vibration; provision should therefore be made for duly
justified exemptions in some cases."

"In the case of maritime shipping, Member States may consider only vibrations of a frequency exceeding 1 Hz."

From the directive itself.

free