Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 23 August 2011, 03:56   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Shocking Boatmanship.

Took the family and nieces and nephs over to Mollulan yesterday, nice weather, surprisingly busy for a Monday.

On approaching the beach, some clown had anchored a Sevvylor blow-up tender with 40ft of floating line just off the beach, moaned a bit and avoided.

10mins later a newish looking small Whaler full of kids is on the rocks. With a combination of extreme trimming and revving, it's off and returning to it's Sevvylor inflatable tender.

Next, a hired 6m Ribeye rocks-up, the hook is randomly launched over the side on approach to the beach, kids, women and cool boxes were off loaded and the Ribeye shoved off, only to settle T boned against our Searider. The hiree looked over his shoulder, reckoned that to be acceptable and marched on up the beach. Our kids go and re-position the SR.

The Ribeye is left to dry out allowing the small slop to bash into into the shingle for ten mins.

Repeat on tide returning. The Hiree and his now 'well oiled' gang reboard before the boat was fully afloat, start the Yam when it has some water near it and proceed to rev the guts out of it full astern. Prop only half submerged, water flying everywhere. Two goons jump out and attempt to push the bow out, eventually there's enough water, the boat shoots back out, one goon manages to jump in, the other is pulled out, fulled clothed, hanging onto a lifeline auto lifejacket having deployed.

Surely, hiring large ribs to zero experience idiots is wrong?
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 04:44   #2
RIBnet supporter
 
MustRib's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,067
hmmm.... what is it about Ribeye's ? whenever I have seen idiots at the helm they have been in a Ribeye. they
are certainly popular with the yachties/second homers
__________________
MustRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 05:30   #3
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Surely, hiring large ribs to zero experience idiots is wrong?
They sound like they might have been quite experienced at being idiots
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 05:37   #4
Member
 
gohelm's Avatar
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: Goudswaard
Boat name: mr D
Make: Deltapower
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha f300 BETU
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 234
RIBase
Rya

shocking! isnt there some kind of 'basic seamanship' in RYA level 2? I think you need to show some certification / proof for they let you rent a boat?

On the other hand , i realize that some people simply dont 'care' - sadly!
__________________
gohelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 05:49   #5
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,246
I would say they would need a RYA level 2 as a minimum to hire the rib & this just shows getting a qualification DOSE NOT make you any good at anything!!
Take car driving on the roads, all the idiots you see most will have passed a test!
__________________
Member of the Ribeye supporters club!!!
Member of Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Member of SR4 club
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 06:12   #6
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
I would say they would need a RYA level 2 as a minimum to hire the rib & this just shows getting a qualification DOSE NOT make you any good at anything!!
Take car driving on the roads, all the idiots you see most will have passed a test!
My ICC has a PWC endorsement on it, never been on one in my life
__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 07:00   #7
Member
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
never been on one in my life
And they knew you never would either, so it was quite safe to give you that qual
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 07:34   #8
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
I would say they would need a RYA level 2 as a minimum to hire the rib
I don't think it is right to blame the qualification, taking care of things that you have hired and being considerate to those around is a life choice - not a matter for certifying organisations.

PB2 Tells you how to drive a boat, not how to be a healthy part of society. The guy sounds like a right door handle.
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 07:51   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 273
Why change anything, sounds like you had a fantastically entertaining day, shame you didn't film it.

Can't remember the famous French film about the comings and goings of a Holiday Hotel on the beach in Normandy, all the idiosyncrasies of peoples behaviour, brilliant.
__________________
ribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 07:56   #10
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
I don't think it is right to blame the qualification, taking care of things that you have hired and being considerate to those around is a life choice - not a matter for certifying organisations.

PB2 Tells you how to drive a boat, not how to be a healthy part of society. The guy sounds like a right door handle.
Not blaming the qualification, just pointing out they do not stop ploncker from doing stupid things!! And bringing in mandatory qualification will not stop things like this as he will have RYA PP 2 or higher to hire it in the first place!
__________________
Member of the Ribeye supporters club!!!
Member of Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Member of SR4 club
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 07:59   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 273
'Monsieur Hulot's Holiday' not in Normandy, Saint-Nazaire
__________________
ribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 08:16   #12
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Not blaming the qualification
Ah, sorry I misunderstood this statement in that case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
this just shows getting a qualification DOSE NOT make you any good at anything!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Bringing in mandatory qualification will not stop things like this.
Agreed
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 08:38   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 273
I'm sorry about this I'm probably boring you all now!






__________________
ribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 08:40   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Took the family and nieces and nephs over to Mollulan yesterday, nice weather, surprisingly busy for a Monday.

On approaching the beach, some clown had anchored a Sevvylor blow-up tender with 40ft of floating line just off the beach, moaned a bit and avoided.

10mins later a newish looking small Whaler full of kids is on the rocks. With a combination of extreme trimming and revving, it's off and returning to it's Sevvylor inflatable tender.

Next, a hired 6m Ribeye rocks-up, the hook is randomly launched over the side on approach to the beach, kids, women and cool boxes were off loaded and the Ribeye shoved off, only to settle T boned against our Searider. The hiree looked over his shoulder, reckoned that to be acceptable and marched on up the beach. Our kids go and re-position the SR.

The Ribeye is left to dry out allowing the small slop to bash into into the shingle for ten mins.

Repeat on tide returning. The Hiree and his now 'well oiled' gang reboard before the boat was fully afloat, start the Yam when it has some water near it and proceed to rev the guts out of it full astern. Prop only half submerged, water flying everywhere. Two goons jump out and attempt to push the bow out, eventually there's enough water, the boat shoots back out, one goon manages to jump in, the other is pulled out, fulled clothed, hanging onto a lifeline auto lifejacket having deployed.

Surely, hiring large ribs to zero experience idiots is wrong?
Good to see our provincial West Country Rib Warden out on patrol again.

Must have been a lot of outraged tut-tutting going on behind the clipboard yesterday.

Thanks for the report...will you be filing a copy with The Daily Mail as well?
__________________
timw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 08:50   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Not rising to Timw comments.

If I see this I find it 'interesting' and frustrating . If this stuff happens to me I go nuts !

No one would allow thier car to roll into someone elses ... but as said some people dont care about anyone else or what damage or bother they may be causing to others. Just a sad relflection of SOME of society, who may feel they have money and therefore dont care or should not have to trouble themsleves with others.

I only ever hope that the very pointy hard bit at the bottom of my OB connects with polished gel/ tube on the boats of the inconsiderate muppets out there....

If its likely to be the other way round I shift my boat pronto - even at 3 am in lashing rain in some cases in the past .. but thats a whole other story.

Qualitifactions only give you a steer ....common sense cannot qualified....
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 09:11   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 681
One of the big problems we have at the sailing club is safety boat drivers who volunteer to drive a club RIB. Often they are people who have passed their PBL2 but only drive a RIB a couple of times a year when they do their compulsory club duties. A lot of the drivers are very rusty and some simply inept. PBL2 as stated elsewhere doesn't really guarantee anything. We have initiated a training scheme to try and improve the quality of drivers and crews in the hope of providing a better level of safety for the club.
__________________
Rokraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 09:27   #17
Member
 
gohelm's Avatar
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: Goudswaard
Boat name: mr D
Make: Deltapower
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha f300 BETU
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 234
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
I would say they would need a RYA level 2 as a minimum to hire the rib & this just shows getting a qualification DOSE NOT make you any good at anything!!
Take car driving on the roads, all the idiots you see most will have passed a test!
i always assumed that the RYA training for boating were very good compared to dutch test ?(which is only a theoretical exam) - So in effect it is the same, anybody who is allowed to drive but being allowed doesnt imply some knowledge, let alone some common sense . As it is with driving a car on the roads , there will always be 'idiots', very very unfortunately! Adressing their behaviour ends in yelling or worse ofcourse....
__________________
gohelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 10:25   #18
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohelm View Post
i always assumed that the RYA training for boating were very good compared to dutch test ?(which is only a theoretical exam) - So in effect it is the same, anybody who is allowed to drive but being allowed doesnt imply some knowledge, let alone some common sense . As it is with driving a car on the roads , there will always be 'idiots', very very unfortunately! Adressing their behaviour ends in yelling or worse ofcourse....
RYA PB 2 is a very good course, but just because you took it & pasted say 10 years ago & have used the knowledge little over that time + you lack much in the way of common scene & thought to others will lead to I right plonker at the helm!
__________________
Member of the Ribeye supporters club!!!
Member of Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Member of SR4 club
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 13:02   #19
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
I bet its more to do with the fact that 'hired' kit just gets abused full stop, regardless of what ticket the skipper held, its the game I'm in and I know exactly what its like .. some people dont give a rats ass for gear they paid to abuse, sad though it is and it makes my blood boil .. and then there are those that deny any knowledge for damage, they swear blind it wasnt them, or there was an inherent defect. Worst of all are those that abuse kit where the damage isnt immediatley obvious, and it fails at a much later date, and the owner get a big bill for a sustantial break down later down the line
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 13:31   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Llangefni
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 42
But I've just done (as in 9 days ago) my PB2 and it's no help in that situation at all. I learned how to come alongside other boats, to pick up a mooring, (single) anchor at a good distance from the shore, get a boat on and off a beach trailer on a nice steep slip with a dozen people helping you, manoeuvre around a harbour and tie up on a pontoon, and tow astern and aside.

I didn't learn how to motor onto a beach, let off half a dozen non-boaty passengers and their luggage and barbecue all nice and dry, park the boat somewhere sensible and safe where it wouldn't be in anyone's way but I'd still be able to get it a couple of hours later taking into account wind and tide, get my passengers back on board - still safe and dry - and motor off again. But if I were chartering a boat tomorrow, that's exactly what I would want to do with it and though Charter Muppet may have been acting like a bit of a surly dick I'm sure half of it was because he hadn't been told how to do this and was pissed off about making a fool of himself in front of his passengers.

Where are you supposed to learn this? It's not innate (or at least not in me, I spent a chunk of today watching 3 different motor boats do exactly this down at the beach and each one did it differently so I learned something new each time, not always positive!). So why isn't it in the PB2 if that's the default qualification to hire a RIB?
__________________

__________________
redhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.