Old 22 February 2002, 21:18   #1

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Ships Radio License

Hello Chaps and Chapesses

Any views on ships radio licenses......... Should I get one?????

Any ideas where to go for one..............

Regards

Jono
Old 22 February 2002, 21:31   #2

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Jahno

If you intend to operate a VHF - even hand held- you will need a license.

I found a wide variety of charges for the course - but got mine through the local council water sports centre for £35 - this was the VHF and DSC course.

I did notice however that a lot of companies at the Boat Show were offering free courses if you bought the radio from them.

Hope this helps
Old 22 February 2002, 21:44   #3

Hi Graeme

I'v got my VHF operators license.. But legally I think i need a ships radio license also????

Regards

JOno
Old 22 February 2002, 21:48   #4

Sorry - got confused. I believe you do need a license- I picked up a form at the Boat Show to apply for one. I think there are different rules for hand helds and fixed radios.

I have the address to apply for one if you need it
Old 22 February 2002, 21:50   #5

I'll try and pick one up at the show.

Are you going for fixes or handheld in the new rib?

Regards

JOno
Old 22 February 2002, 21:55   #6

I have gone for a fixed radio - an ICOM MC501 - as they were reduced at the boat show due to the launch of the 503 - which has the facility for a remote control in a cruiser with dual steering positions
Old 24 February 2002, 20:41   #7

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
To be legal you need an operators licence for one person on board (others use radio under that persons supervision in theory) thats a one off lasts for life thing plus a ships radio station licence for the radio/boat which is renewable annually. the form can be downloaded from the web from the radio licencing authority website. If you go for a portable there is the option of a licence which covers that radio onboard any vessel.
In practise i've had a ships licence for donkey's years and dare not fail to renew it now i am on the system. in practise out of the dozens of small boats i see fishing i know full well that 90% of them including many of my friends are not licenced - good luck to them it always does seem like pouring money down the drain.
with gmdss licencing will be needed for an mmsi.
Old 24 February 2002, 20:54   #8

Dave

You raise an issue here that you may be able to clarify for me.

I was always under the impression that so long as there was one person onboard with a Radio Operator's license anyone else could use it under their supervision.

On my recent DSS update course the instructor said that this had no changed - and that the actual law was that you had to have a license to use the radio. (Obviously under emergencies this would not be enforceable I guess).
Old 25 February 2002, 09:45   #9

Town: Shaftesbury
Make: currently boatless (formerly Tornado)
Length: 5.4
Engine: Mariner 40
The current published information on the subject can be found at The Radiocommunications Agency . From the Home page you can find the info by going to the A to Z listing and select "Ship Radio"

The two key areas which you have been considering seem to be covered by the two following extracts:

Article S18 of the international Radio Regulations requires that:

No transmitting station may be established or operated by a private person or any enterprise without a licence issued in an appropriate form and in conformity with the provisions of these Regulations by or on behalf of the government of the country to which the station in question is subject.

Article S47 of the international Radio Regulations further states that:

The service of every ship radiotelephone station, ship earth station and ship station shall be controlled by an operator holding a certificate issued or recognised by the government to which the station is subject. Provided the station is so controlled, other persons besides the holder of the certificate may use the equipment.

This means that maritime radio equipment available for use on board a vessel that is owned by a UK citizen or UK registered must be:

Covered by a valid ship radio licence or transportable marine radio licence issued in the United Kingdom by the Radiocommunications Agency;
Operated by or under the direct personal supervision of a holder of a valid Maritime radio operator's certificate;
Compliant with the requirements of either the Marine Equipment Directive (MED), the Radio & Telecommunications Terminal Equipment Directive or Nationally Type approved.

Having also made a cursory inspection of the primary legislation and recent Stautory Instruments, there does not appear to be anything that supersedes the above info. But I stress that It was only a cursory look cos theres an awfull lot of it out there.

The law also provides that in a distress situation, the regulations should not be a hinderance to raising a distress call by any means available, so it would appear that an unlicensed operator on an unlicensed non type approved set would be OK......But only in an emegrency.
Old 25 February 2002, 11:31   #10

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
I'm glad that allan typed that lot - saved me losing the will to live half way thru!!
The Rya radio booklet (g22/01) says the same thing on page 7 and in an extract from maritime guidance note on page 54.
Also I have spoken with an examiner down the coast and he had not heard that one either - but as he says that does not mean an awful lot
So it all seems just as it was
On a serious note the coastguard is not the licencing authority and would not wish anyone to be delayed in reporting an incident because of the lack of a licence. Given sufficient time they may well be able to extract someone from an impending distress situation but last minute calls may require a miracle or at least some divine intervention.
Old 25 February 2002, 19:35   #11

Thanks for your help chaps......

I'm gonna one...... Not worth the risk for the money........

Regards

Jono