Old 16 March 2006, 09:35   #1

Town: Nottingham
Boat name: Boxer
Make: Quicksilver 450R
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 50
She Just Loves Being Tied Up !!!

Hi Everyone,

Just purchased a Quicksilver 450R (4.5m) for my son. He intends to use it for river and inshore costal use. However it's got no ropes or fenders and the anchor is one of those horrible little Grapnell types.

Every rib I've used has been kitted out with ropes etc, before I rush out and spend the wifes hard earned cash can you suggest a make up of ropes, lengths and thickness for this RIB. Also best anchor / weight and fender size and quantity ?

Cheers,
BootNeck

PS ; Has anyone else got the same RIB?
Old 16 March 2006, 11:31   #2

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Try having a look at

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/anchorin.htm

It gives a good comparison of different anchor types as well as a discussion of length of rode (chain + rope) needed. It does lack info on the Bruce Anchor so I've included a link below

http://www.bruceanchor.co.uk/cast.htm

I've got a 4.0m Narwhal and use a Danforth on the sands around Poole, but if your bottom is rocky (oo-er missus) then a Bruce would probably be best

Regards

Andrew
Old 16 March 2006, 13:16   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH
Try having a look at

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/anchorin.htm

It gives a good comparison of different anchor types as well as a discussion of length of rode (chain + rope) needed. It does lack info on the Bruce Anchor so I've included a link below

http://www.bruceanchor.co.uk/cast.htm

I've got a 4.0m Narwhal and use a Danforth on the sands around Poole, but if your bottom is rocky (oo-er missus) then a Bruce would probably be best

Regards

Andrew

A Bruce on a rocky bottom??? They were designed for mud and sand - a fishermans style is prob best for rocks!!!

A grapnel style is fine for a tender as long as it's big enough.
Old 16 March 2006, 13:31   #4

Town: Dun Laoghaire
Boat name: Ruby
Make: Valiant 490
Engine: Yamaha 60-4
A folding grapnel came with my rib when I bought it and like you I didn't like the look of it. I did a bit of research and ended up buying a delta anchor by Lewmar. So far it's behaved beautifully but has yet to be tested in anger. I've got about 5m of galv chain and 80m of 10mm nylon as the main anchor warp, plus a bouyed polyprop tripping line so I don't lose it (they're not cheap!).
Old 16 March 2006, 13:40   #5

Obviously the bigger than anchor the better but all the figures quoted are for yachts or normal boats. A typical rib has very little actually in the water and not much windage either so will need a smaller anchor than a normal boat.

Having said that I have gone overboard(not literally) with my ground tackle!!!

But in a SIB there isn't much need for anything fancy. I have a bit of rope with a 10lb folding anchor - no chain. Just lob it over the side and it will hold against my suzuki 15hp on full chat in reverse - on a sandy bottom.
Old 16 March 2006, 14:56   #6

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
A Bruce on a rocky bottom??? They were designed for mud and sand - a fishermans style is prob best for rocks!!!
Yeah - you're quite right. I was more thinking pebbles and shingle rather than "proper" rocks - in which case the fishermans is probably best.

Only trouble with the fishermans is stowage, although I've seen several "two part" fishermans that take up much less space - I'd guess some of the guys here may have a link if needed
Old 16 March 2006, 15:49   #7

Town: Nottingham
Boat name: Boxer
Make: Quicksilver 450R
Engine: Mariner 50
How about the rope set up ?
Old 16 March 2006, 19:05   #8

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I remember thinking a grapnel was a good idea; that changed on a halibut hunting trip, when I anchored (sand), dropped down, and was able to follow for about 200 yds. where the boat had been. It also dragged on occasion in rock, as well.

I now use a Danforth knock-off; seems to work well in just about every type of bottom I have to anchor in (rock, sand, and soft mud.) For windy days, make sure you've got enough chain. In rock, this system may be a problem in that it tends to hang up on occasion; if you're diving, it's not a problem - quick dive to clear it. A trip line may help with this. You want somewhere from 3 to 8 times the depth you anchor in as a rode.

As far as lines, it depends on where you're going to be, and how you're going to be securing the boat. I have about 12-15 feet on each corner for tying up to docks (you could get away with 2, and move them as req'd), along with a couple of flat fenders for longer stays (couple of hours max.) Should have a decent length of fairly heavy polypropylene, should the need to tow or be towed arise (try to stay away from nylon, if possible.) I will defer to anyone who has opinions about what's needed in slips, as I never slip my boat.

jky
Old 16 March 2006, 20:00   #9

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Glad anchors came up
Have been thinking about a system to anchor my sib just off shore while on a beach .
I saw a system advertised that used shock chord , does anyone use this is there an advantage ?

A simple line running through the anchor and a line to pull the boat back in was what I intended .
Old 16 March 2006, 20:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
Glad anchors came up
Have been thinking about a system to anchor my sib just off shore while on a beach .
I saw a system advertised that used shock chord , does anyone use this is there an advantage ?

A simple line running through the anchor and a line to pull the boat back in was what I intended .
I just drop my Delta say 20 or 30 metres off the beach and then take a second line with the grapnel on it up the beach where I can make sure it's got a grip.

If you click on this thumbnail you can see both lines in the bigger image
Old 16 March 2006, 21:22   #11

I was thinking more of hauling the boat back to shore and out again for when you don't want to get wet .
Old 16 March 2006, 22:06   #12

Difficult on a beach!
Old 16 March 2006, 22:10   #13

Quote:
I was thinking more of hauling the boat back to shore and out again for when you don't want to get wet .
Seen the thing you are on about - looks a good idea in principal but why not just pull the boat up on the beach?

also with a huge tidal range may not be very practical - in Swansea you would need literally a mile of bungee!!!
Old 16 March 2006, 22:14   #14

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
...A simple line running through the anchor and a line to pull the boat back in was what I intended .
You'll need a pulley at the anchor end.
Old 17 March 2006, 15:13   #15

I think the pulley at the anchor end is still best ,

If its a nice sandy beach then i do pull the boat up iwas thinking of more rocky shores , also some of my local beaches are sandy at high water but expose rocks at low that make re launching very dificult. It needs 3 to lift my sib and usually there is only 2 of us plus kid