Old 30 October 2004, 11:18   #1

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Selling your rib ??

Having sold my 5.5m rib I'm very much in the market for a new toy. I emailed a seller on this site and he emailed me pictures but would not discuss price unless I rang him. Result he still has the rib for sale and I'm looking elsewhere. At this time of year one would assume that sellers would be a little hungry for a sale. So all sellers of 6 to 7.5m ribs be "sellers" not order takers.

I WANT TO BUY A RIB !!
Old 30 October 2004, 18:12   #2

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
Having sold my 5.5m rib I'm very much in the market for a new toy. I emailed a seller on this site and he emailed me pictures but would not discuss price unless I rang him. Result he still has the rib for sale and I'm looking elsewhere. At this time of year one would assume that sellers would be a little hungry for a sale. So all sellers of 6 to 7.5m ribs be "sellers" not order takers.

I WANT TO BUY A RIB !!
Scotty

Fancy a Parker 6.3 diesel, my Seahawk 2 is still available. Hv a look at Ribs for Sale. Pictures & price posted.
Any interest?
Old 30 October 2004, 22:27   #3

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
Perhaps?

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F46701/

You never know --

Pete
Old 31 October 2004, 09:37   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Asking price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty

I WANT TO BUY A RIB !!
Scotty,

As someone who has a RIB for sale I agree that it's generally pointless discussing price with a purchaser before he comes to view the boat - UNLESS the purchaser is willing to make an acceptable offer. It depends HOW the price is discussed - I had one purchaser who phoned up and just asked what was the lowest offer I would take but was not willing to make an offer himself. TIMEWASTER?

What's the point of having an asking price on the advert - that is the price subject to the purchaser inspecting the boat, trialling it, pointing out any deficiencies and THEN haggling the price.

I understand that if you have a long way to travel this may mean that you will have a few wasted journeys but that's just how it is when you are buying used.

On the other side of the coin I have also just bought a RIB. This was advertised at a price far in excess of what I thought it was worth - but I wanted the boat. I went to see it anyway and over the next few days there was some hard haggling over price and date of completion which resulted in my buying the boat almost at the price I wanted, certainly less that what the vendor had told me he'd take, and the vendor got a bankers draft within a week of his advert appearing.

Having money ready to go is a much more persuasive tool than "What's the lowest offer you'll take"

Just a few thoughts
Old 31 October 2004, 10:45   #5

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider
TIMEWASTER?

What's the point of having an asking price on the advert - that is the price subject to the purchaser inspecting the boat, trialling it, pointing out any deficiencies and THEN haggling the price.
That's a one sided way of looking at it.
Let's say I've got 8.5k to spend and you have a boat advertised at 10k. As a buyer I don't know by how much you've over-priced it. So I phone you, get a few details and I need to know what you will be happy to accept. If you don't tell me, I'll be walking away.

Quote:
I understand that if you have a long way to travel this may mean that you will have a few wasted journeys but that's just how it is when you are buying used.
Aye, right!

Doesn't that make you the timewaster?
Old 31 October 2004, 11:52   #6

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Scotty,

You could just buy my Humber Ocean Pro 6.3m.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2004, 14:42   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Offers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
That's a one sided way of looking at it.
Let's say I've got 8.5k to spend and you have a boat advertised at 10k. As a buyer I don't know by how much you've over-priced it. So I phone you, get a few details and I need to know what you will be happy to accept. If you don't tell me, I'll be walking away.

I was just trying to point out that if the asking price is £10K and you have £8.5K - tell the seller that and ask if a deal may be possible. It is for the purchaser to make an offer on the asking price.

Secondhand boats are all different, spec, condition, age, location - how can you tell what you want to offer until you have seen it?

Aye, right!

Doesn't that make you the timewaster?
Not if you are honest about the condition of the boat. Mis-description of condition is what has wasted my time when I have been buying.

Anyway my last paragraph describing my recent buying experience shows that if the purchaser takes the initiative you can get what you want for a fair price.
Old 31 October 2004, 17:59   #8

Quote:
Not if you are honest about the condition of the boat. Mis-description of condition is what has wasted my time when I have been buying.
Agreed, and that is the crux of the matter. Folk often aren't so as a buyer one needs a little encouragement to take it further.
Old 31 October 2004, 20:28   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I wouldn't even consider going out of my way to look at a second hand boat if the owner wasn't prepared to give an indication of how much they want for it.

If they won't name a price then the odds are that they are hoping for more than it's worth . . .

John
Old 01 November 2004, 07:34   #10

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
after selling my rib on saturday

i would say to argee a price over the phone or by internet is ok

the guy asked for pics and history which i sent him he ask the price. and then came with a offer subject to veiwing the boat which was fine by me
as i had no thing to hide

the guy came had a look run the engine in a tank he was happy

with boats i must say you may have to drive 100 of miles to see one so
its best to get the ground rules set first price and condition be honest
and the buyer will be pleased

dan
Old 01 November 2004, 08:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
I wouldn't even consider going out of my way to look at a second hand boat if the owner wasn't prepared to give an indication of how much they want for it.

If they won't name a price then the odds are that they are hoping for more than it's worth . . .

John
Too right John.To make matters worse this person had put an add up saying that the first price of £**,000 was now reduced due to a timewaster that had lost his deposit !!! But would not tell me the new price . Thanks for the backup.
Old 04 November 2004, 19:09   #12

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Scotty
Your talking about me. First thing the rib is sold second i offered to pay your air fare from dublin if the rib was not as discribed.third you insult me by saying that you are a salesman and i should not treat enquierys in this manner.
Time wasters well i have had my fill of people who cant put there money where there mouth is. I take it you have never been to an auction or used Ebay would you ask the auctioneer for the lowest price, if you think its over priced then you should do some research cost new for exsample whats the point of putting a price in the add if you scotty are to afraid to make an offer subject to seeing the rib Why dont you post the email i sent you it would be clear for all to see that you where in a no lose position.
As for Mr Kennett if what i have read on the other thred is true i think you should clean up your own back yard first before giving your two bobs worth on this matter. As i said to scotty one bidder is worth fifty lookers.
Yours Roy
Old 04 November 2004, 19:15   #13

ooooooOOOOOoooooooo.

Old 05 November 2004, 10:13   #14

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
I've bought and sold a few boats, and looked at a lot more! A few points...

Most sellers ask a price that they would accept straight away, they expect to have sellers haggle. Also buyers expect to be able to knock a seller down and feel better for it! As an example, I bought a house recently, as it was exactly what we wanted I offered the asking price for a quick sale. Bought the house ok, but the owner wanted to haggle over £20 for some fittings.... realistically I could probably bought the house for £6k less if I'd been prepared to wait.

Some buyers have to travel a long way, drove 700 miles to look at my last boat and 850 for the one before that, it's a big investment especially for the cheaper boats that I can afford. I drove 1500 miles to look at a P22 some years ago and walked away from it, didn't even make an offer as it was not really as described.

I think it's only fair to agree a price in principle with a prospective buyer before a viewing if he wants to do that, with as much accurate information supplied as possible to enable him to make an informed choice. Serious buyers know what to expect, know what it's worth and if they're taking the trouble to come and look at it then they're pretty serious about buying. If I thought a boat was overpriced and the seller would only discuss the price after viewing then I wouldn't look at it unless it was local.

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 November 2004, 11:16   #15
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith
whats the point of putting a price in the ad

Because if you want 15k for the boat and I've only got 10k to spend it'd be a waste of time for both of us. Especially if I'd flown over from Dublin. Also, with any secondhand boat sale you'd expect a bit of negotiation, so you'd need a starting point.

I've just sold a boat to a buyer who came over from Belgium and there were a couple of issues where we had to take each other on trust but we both knew where the base line was. If I made an enquiry about a boat/car and the seller wouldn't name his price, I'd assume he had something to hide.

Here, have a red blob.

DM
Old 05 November 2004, 11:31   #16

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Dave, you're........

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning
Here, have a red blob.DM
......a right one, but oooohhh I do like you.
Old 05 November 2004, 23:35   #17

Quote:
Scotty
Your talking about me. First thing the rib is sold second i offered to pay your air fare from dublin if the rib was not as discribed.third you insult me by saying that you are a salesman and i should not treat enquierys in this manner.
Time wasters well i have had my fill of people who cant put there money where there mouth is. I take it you have never been to an auction or used Ebay would you ask the auctioneer for the lowest price, if you think its over priced then you should do some research cost new for exsample whats the point of putting a price in the add if you scotty are to afraid to make an offer subject to seeing the rib Why dont you post the email i sent you it would be clear for all to see that you where in a no lose position.
As for Mr Kennett if what i have read on the other thred is true i think you should clean up your own back yard first before giving your two bobs worth on this matter. As i said to scotty one bidder is worth fifty lookers.
Yours Roy
Yep you are right. I was talking about you, but i was good manered enough not to name you. If you told me your bottom price then I could have come to the UK or discounted it as too expensive. I am not afraid to make an offer if you told me your bottom price.
But on a genuine note I'm very happy for you that it's sold. It appears to be a lovely rib. You might consider some anger management or a sales course.
Old 06 November 2004, 15:57   #18

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Zodiac

Scotty your old rib is tied up near ours in Dun Laoghaire so we have your old rubbish over in Dun Laoghaire now, I havent told him yet the back seats get wet yet ha ha

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2004, 17:05   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
Scotty your old rib is tied up near ours in Dun Laoghaire so we have your old rubbish over in Dun Laoghaire now, I havent told him yet the back seats get wet yet ha ha

No way ! My lovely example is now in Kilrush Co Clare
Old 17 December 2004, 17:34   #20

Quote:
Scotty
Yours Roy
Roy,see my post.....New Rib !