Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 07 December 2006, 11:58   #1

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Securing an anchor with no locker

I'm looking for some sensible suggestions of how to secure an anchor in the bow of my Ribtec. There is no anchor locker there, but there is a ridge along the deck that has two reasonable size holes drilled through, that I could use to "tie" the anchor to the deck. I'd really like to keep the anchor in the bow for both convenience, and the weight of chain + anchor helping to keep the nose down
All bright ideas gratefully received

Andrew
Old 07 December 2006, 12:10   #2

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
Obviously havn`t seen your rib, but wouldnt it be just as easy to install an after-market type sealed locker in the space at the bow? Then you got space for other stuff as well as the anchor? Just a thought...
Old 07 December 2006, 12:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince View Post
but wouldnt it be just as easy to install an after-market type sealed locker in the space at the bow?
Good idea - have you got any links to ones that you'd recommend

Thanks

Andrew
Old 07 December 2006, 12:56   #4

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Mine is just secured to the internal bow eye with a short bit of cord so it could bounce around if you really hit something but it can't escape! So far I have never seen it move though.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2006, 13:35   #5

Town: Chertsey
Boat name: Aqua Legends I
Make: Avon Searider 5.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 90
MMSI: 235035787
Quote:
Obviously havn`t seen your rib, but wouldnt it be just as easy to install an after-market type sealed locker in the space at the bow? Then you got space for other stuff as well as the anchor? Just a thought...
I'd also be interrested in hearing about after market bow locker. Any ideas about who does these.

David
Oxygen Toxicity is for Life

Old 07 December 2006, 14:42   #6

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Andrew do you have a pic of your ridged bit?

Ive just bought a Ribtec 585 which has something similar to what you describe. Its basically an anchor locker without a top. Im planning to make a top for it out of flow-coated marine ply, then put a big-ish hatch in the middle for access.
Old 07 December 2006, 16:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Andrew do you have a pic of your ridged bit?

Ive just bought a Ribtec 585 which has something similar to what you describe. Its basically an anchor locker without a top. Im planning to make a top for it out of flow-coated marine ply, then put a big-ish hatch in the middle for access.

I'll get a pic this evening - weather and rain permitting. However I suspect that your ridge is a good bit more beefy than the one in my rib. Mine is little more than a couple of inches off the deck

Andrew
Old 07 December 2006, 16:51   #8

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Andrew, are you really going to send me out in the dark and the rain to take a pic of mine with a locker installed?
Old 07 December 2006, 18:46   #9

oh well, any excuse for a fiddle!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC070038 (Small).JPG
Views:	235
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	23630   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC070036.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	23631   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC070037 (Small).JPG
Views:	218
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	23632   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC070039 (Small) (2).JPG
Views:	227
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	23633  
Old 07 December 2006, 19:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
Andrew, are you really going to send me out in the dark and the rain to take a pic of mine with a locker installed?
You're as bad as I am!! Here's my efforts at nighttime bow photography.

Now that I've had a second look I can see the ridge is nearer 6" deep rather than the 2" that I originally commented. Yeah I know - that's why women can't park . Anyway, that means the "convert it to a bow locker" idea is now much more viable.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bow.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	23635  
Old 07 December 2006, 19:23   #11

Town: Sarasota
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60 OB
I guy I work with has a sheet metal shop in the family. I picked up a partial sheet of 5052 alum. and went to work cutting and TIG welding this locker for my RIB. Total cost about $250 US. It allows for a spot for the anchor with the line in a place where it can dry. Also I get a bunch of storage space I needed for life jackets, dock line, etc. Another benefit is the bow weight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RIB Bow locker 005.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	23636  
Old 07 December 2006, 22:10   #12

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
anchor attachment

hi My friend had the same issue and had to accomodate a 16kilo bruce with chain etc. Also wanted the thing at the bow.

He made a simple metal plate for both sides and welded 2 threaded bolts where he wanted to mount the anchor ie the flat surface. onto one of them.
He then bolted the back plate and face plate thru the verticle bit you show before attaching the anchor (which had 2 corresponding holes) via 2 wing nuts (GREASED THREAD) HE ALSO attached a small spanner in case of rust.

It stayed there with heavy use over 300 hours and came out in 5 mins or less also meant the chan was around it in the well at the front so weight well forward.

it sounds complex but was easy and cheap. (less than a tenneras we welded it ourselves. silka flex was in the garage already but would have added only £7.00 or so to the job).
We hammerited it white 4 coats and it never rusted.
Old 08 December 2006, 11:39   #13

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
You're as bad as I am!! Here's my efforts at nighttime bow photography.

Now that I've had a second look I can see the ridge is nearer 6" deep rather than the 2" that I originally commented. Yeah I know - that's why women can't park . Anyway, that means the "convert it to a bow locker" idea is now much more viable.

Andrew
I`d think some good half inch marine ply and some good glassing would do the trick nicely. Put in a hatch cover and you`d think it was built like that originaly. Plus a good feature with the drain holes already in!
Old 08 December 2006, 12:18   #14

Quote:
I`d think some good half inch marine ply and some good glassing would do the trick nicely. Put in a hatch cover and you`d think it was built like that originaly. Plus a good feature with the drain holes already in!
That would be ideal Andrew, my anchor locker was not original and hasn't got the drain holes, the 5.35 hasn't much deck space and being able to stand on the locker without too much fear of tripping is a bonus.
Old 08 December 2006, 14:41   #15

Vince and Kernow: Thanks guys sounds like a good suggestion and yes you are right it would have some built in drainage. Only problem would be the like about "some good glassing" - hmmmm - not my strong point .

Would you suggest laying the marine ply in first and then applying the CSM over the top, then resin and build up in layers?

Also how would you recommend preparing the surfaces of the preexisiting gelcoat on the deck. Is it OK to rough up with some coarse 'ish wet 'n' dry and then clean with acetone or do I need to go down to the base resin?

Finally the final top coat of gelcoat will need wax solution to turn it into flowcoat but what's the best way of applying it, brush - roller (- plaster's trowel )

Thanks again guys

Andrew
Old 10 December 2006, 03:33   #16

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Across the Pond View Post
I guy I work with has a sheet metal shop in the family. I picked up a partial sheet of 5052 alum. and went to work cutting and TIG welding this locker for my RIB. Total cost about $250 US. It allows for a spot for the anchor with the line in a place where it can dry. Also I get a bunch of storage space I needed for life jackets, dock line, etc. Another benefit is the bow weight.
good practical solution there, I have a similar arrangement on my boat regarding the anchor. It makes good sense to have the anchor on deck ready to deploy, few anchors are easy to dig out of any locker, especially so if it is rough out. Nice welding job!