Old 21 March 2013, 08:41   #1

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Second Hand RIB Market

Is anyone buying RIBs at the moment? There seems to be a lot for sale and from what I can see not much is moving, all the brokers I speak to tell me they've had an excellent start to the year and the market is really strong, yet they still have the same boats for sale.

I'd like to upgrade but don't know if this is just a terrible time, do I hold fast and wait another season or drop the price in the hope I can get a good discount on my next boat.
Old 21 March 2013, 08:44   #2

Town: woking
Boat name: Mid Life Crisis
Make: HM Powerboat
Length: 10m +
Engine: outboard, 2 x 400hp
I have just agreed to buy a second hand rib.
Should be collecting in 2 weeks - can't wait.

Get the impression that new costs are so high, that used boats are easier to sell than new ones.
Old 21 March 2013, 09:14   #3

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
As a broker I would say that the market is fine if the boat is sensibly priced and the vendor is aware that they are not likely to achieve the full asking price.

Also, as with cars, the correct paperwork (service history, manuals, repair receipts, etc) will have an effect on the price the purchaser is willing to pay. This is where the phrase "I paid cash and didn't get a receipt" comes back to bite you in the a#se!
Old 21 March 2013, 09:15   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Thomas, I think all we need is a change in the weather and we will all be surprised. You and I have looked at pricing and everyone I speak to in the industry from brokers to manufacturers believes these prices are correct- except a broker buys in at a low price to sell at about the same price you would have sold it at, Room for movement in all sales to be honest.
Old 21 March 2013, 10:27   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
My feeling is it's a buyers market at the moment . Due to economics of how well (or not) business is going in the UK and as Ian says some duff weather. (just look at the round IOW video on 24 March last year for a comparison).

There are lots of very very good value boats out there (Ians as a key example) . I still feel people aren't allowing for the 2 points above in the expectation of what they want to sell and buy at.

As a watcher/ potential buyer I'm still seeing a gulf between 'real world/actual' sales prices and the lack of willingness of some sellers to deal in the real world.

The fact heavy snow is forecast next week says a lot ...who wants to go boating in the snow ( except us RIBnobbers ) ?
Old 21 March 2013, 11:29   #6

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
I sell quite a few boats. I would say the market over the last six weeks or so has been quieter than I have hoped. A friend who works for a well known brokerage says they're very quiet at the moment as well. As Ian says I suspect it's the weather. Snow the week before Easter isn't ideal! So yes, very much a buyers market. I suspect a broker who says he's doing really well at the moment is exaggerating!
Old 21 March 2013, 12:36   #7

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
I guess the weather has a lot to do with it, I had priced mine a couple of k under what I had been advised, guess I'll wait till that fist weekend when everyone heads to the sea.

Our marina is getting more and more trailers now as people down grade form big power boats so fingers crossed.
Old 21 March 2013, 13:30   #8
RIBnet Supporter

I'm hearing that bigger (high ticket) boats are slow to move. The smaller stuff 5-7m and a bit older are going well. It's all about the Money, Money

Tags
rib