Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 24 April 2005, 14:00   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Newport
Make: Avon Rover 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 15hp F/S
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 173
second hand pricing

I've had a go at searching for past threads without luck so need some help. I bought my first boat around 18mths ago and am now thinking of going bigger. The boat is virtually as new with about 70 hours on it. I need to factor the money from the sale of this boat into the sums determining much I can spend on the next one. What is a realistic price to ask in relation to the price I paid and the extras I've fitted? I know its vague but any info or opinions would be welcome.
__________________

__________________
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2005, 15:30   #2
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by woot
What is a realistic price to ask in relation to the price I paid and the extras I've fitted? I know its vague...
Mate, don't take this the wrong way, but with such vague info the only answer is.... less!
__________________

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2005, 15:37   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,082
A picture would be handy, and a brief spec
__________________
simmons0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2005, 01:24   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Newport
Make: Avon Rover 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 15hp F/S
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 173
I asked for that one didn't I.
Some details
Package all bought from Humber Nov 2003. 5m Assault with 60hp Yamaha 4 stroke on rollercoaster trailer, trailer board, prop cover, full cover, bow locker,two man jockey console,windscreen, bow cushion, tube mounted paddles, engine lock, bow cleat, towing bolts, A frame, poly storage box, Lowrance X51 echo sounder, garmin 126 GPS, Simrad VHF. Stainless prop.
I can obviously add up the total I,ve spent since I've had the boat I am just trying to gauge how much depreciation I should factor in to price it sensibly to sell. One of the reasons I bought new was that second hand outfits seemed expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	on the water.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	11498   Click image for larger version

Name:	on the trailer.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	11499   Click image for larger version

Name:	in the marina.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	11500  
__________________
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2005, 01:38   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 328
rib 4 sale

hi,
when you have decided on a price let me know as my rib repair man wants one like yours for fun he has told me his budget so if they are similar i will call him.

re pricing I have sold 3 ribs now and find the only factors limiting depreciation are demand for your type of boat and the condition. Just like cars you get virtually nothing for the extras placed on and in fact on one of my boats I took the gps off (as it left only 2 small holes) as it was worth more off the boat than on!!
simple calculations do not apply so look at the market ie the boat adds and see what you want and then advertise it. If it does not sell at this time of year have a think later and maybe adjust your cost.

good luck!
__________________
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2005, 05:44   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 452
hi

i had a boat just like that i sold it last year (same sort of spec), however here is a guide

If you go to somwhere like a trader, he will give you about 4k and then sell it on for 5.5/6k

Private they go for 4.3k to 5.5kish
__________________
Jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2005, 06:02   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 761
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
after selling my brand new valiant v450 for £6850 40hp two stroke
then getting a DR450 for £6k 50hp two stroke

i would say just over 7k would be ok maybe up to 8k

dan
__________________
GET A RIB GET A LIFE
Daniel TD5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2005, 06:21   #8
ADS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,410
I would have said around 9k seeing as its a Humber. Best thing is too look at similar boats on the market.

Ribcraft 4.8


Robin who posts on here has just sold his Ribcraft 4.8, and I seem to recall he was asking over 10k for it and it sold quickly so it can't have been overpriced.
Try phoning up Humber and see how much they think its worth.
Regards,

Alex
__________________
ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2005, 10:38   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 5m +
MMSI: Nope
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 554
Woot...you have probably done this already but here are 2 boats similar (ish) to yours.....

www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F59849/
www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/DKB012/

May help you to get a level for your pricing.


I go along with the comments made by Mike
Real problem is it is not so much the actual worth of the boat...it's a compromise between how much you want to sell her for and how much (or little) someone else is willing to pay.

I was lucky that loads of people were looking specifically for my kinda boat, and there were several re-directs from the Ribcraft website too.

Perhaps Humber do a similar thing?


Best of luck

Robin

PS....great looking boat!
__________________
robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2005, 11:56   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,082
Based on how much i sold our last boat for, and how much friends have paid for their ribs recently, i would advertise it at about £8.5k and hope for £8k
__________________
simmons0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2005, 13:10   #11
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
hi,
Just like cars you get virtually nothing for the extras placed on and in fact on one of my boats I took the gps off (as it left only 2 small holes) as it was worth more off the boat than on!!
How much was the GPS Mike ?? And how much did I pay for the boat ??
__________________
Fast... Very feckin fast please.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2005, 13:23   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: fletcher arrowbeu
Length: 5m +
Engine: johnson 175
MMSI: 235057234
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 385
woot i would look at it like this
75-80% of its new value you might get but it would take longer to sale.
60-70% you would get and it will probably sell fairly quickly.
60% or less and you would sell quick.
so if you are not in a rush to sell you are always in a position to hold out for more money and on the other hand if you want the money fairly quickly be prepared to lower the price.
__________________
Tims Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2005, 15:12   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Newport
Make: Avon Rover 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 15hp F/S
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 173
Thanks for the reply's, I am going to see a man this weekend about a bigger boat, if that goes well I will pick a price, put it out there on boats and outboards and see what happens. I don't need to sell quickly so will either accept a decent offer in the short term or wait and see if I can get more closer to the summer. My difficulty in pricing is that I had lots of extra's like bow locker, cushion, cleat, A frame etc which pushed the initial price up but I may not get back. I could also if necessary sell cheaper and remove the electronics stainless prop etc but I'd much rather have it all done and dusted in one go.

Cheers
__________________
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2005, 16:36   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 635
hello woot

i would say start asking around the 9k mark, then set a mark at which you will not budge from, for example 8.5k, i think that is reasonable, that is assuming the boat complete cost roughly 10k new, if it has done very low hours i would suggest trying to keep it close to 9k as possible, humbers sell very well second hand because of their high reputation, so i dont think you will have a problem, also get a good action shot of the boat, basically making it look inresistable, and it will go a long way to attracting interest!!! as an idea i sold my zodiac pro 9 man with 50 hp suzuki, with the whole kit costing roughly 9.5k new in 2003, june, and sold it for 8,300! also advertise in as many places as possible, it will increase chances of people looking coming accross your boat! good luck!
__________________
xpertski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2005, 16:37   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 635
oooooh

............forgot to ask, what boat you moving up to? a bigger humber i hope! i have just up sized from 4.7m zodiac, to a 6.3m humber ocean pro with 140 suzuki! ready in a few weeks!
__________________
xpertski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2005, 17:42   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Newport
Make: Avon Rover 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 15hp F/S
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 173
Still undecided whats next, have been very pleased with the Humber and would not hesitate to go for the outfit you have ordered and actually had a quote for something similar from Humber not long ago. I have a few options that I am weighing up at the moment. I promise when the decision is made or if I need help making it I will let you all know.
__________________

__________________
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.