Old 16 July 2014, 13:35   #1

Town: Down South
Make: Northcraft 5.8m 1999
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2012 Tohatsu MD90C
Seat latches

Hi I'm looking at getting some protex latches for my seats but I'm worried that if I get the ones with safety catches is that they will jam and become unusable.

Has anyone else had this problem or not is it best to go with the 316 stainless latch or are the normal stainless one good enough.
Old 16 July 2014, 13:50   #2

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
I've got a standard stainless steel Protex latch on my driver seat/box and it's absolutely fine. I've had the boat since November (I'm sure it's been on since build in 2003 as there are no other drill holes to give away previous catches) and it still looks shiny and works fine.

One of these: http://www.protex.com/27-1900SS-non-...-steel-natural

The only "problem" I had was that the safety catch was bent when I got it, and wouldn't lock the catch shut but a quick twist and all was sorted! (The catch is strong but flexible enough to easily manipulate with your fingers). I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems with not being able to unlock it.

Just think about where you put it though, as mine digs into the back of my leg if I stand up and brace myself against the seat/box.

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2014, 15:34   #3

Town: Gloucestershire
Make: Solent
Engine: Suzuki 70
I'm also after something like these.... They look like good quality. What does it hook into? Is there another bit to it which it clamps over?

Would be good to get one with a padlock too so I can keep people from sniffing around my seat pods - I see the protex website has a few to buy with padlock options.

Looks ideal!
Old 16 July 2014, 15:41   #4

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
Yeah, it just clips over one of these: 02-1123SS - Catch Plate For Toggle Latch Stainless Steel Natural and then clips shut.

I think you can get padlocked versions too. I might get one for my boat at some point, then I can store the odd "shiny" thing in it for brief periods. Although, if the b*st*rds want it bad enough, they'll take it whether there's a lock or not!

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2014, 17:24   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Protex are the danglies, you won't goo wrong as long as you buy the correct catch & plate.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2014, 20:57   #6

Town: Down South
Make: Northcraft 5.8m 1999
Engine: 2012 Tohatsu MD90C
Cool thanks i'm thinking at these latches 61-1610SS - Adjustable Latch with Safety Catch Medium Duty Stainless Steel Natural

As I'm not bothered about being able to lock them but want a catch to keep them from vibrating loose and also want adjustability to take up any slack
Old 18 July 2014, 15:00   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Bombard View Post
Cool thanks i'm thinking at these latches 61-1610SS - Adjustable Latch with Safety Catch Medium Duty Stainless Steel Natural

As I'm not bothered about being able to lock them but want a catch to keep them from vibrating loose and also want adjustability to take up any slack
A bit OTT, these are standard RC fitment & work fine, the secret is to fit the catch & then offer the catch plate up & engage the catch plate into the catch & partially close the catch (about 1/2 way) & mark the holes for the catch plate, if that makes sense. The catches are "over centre" type so the most tension on the plate is when the catch is about TDC.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2014, 07:57   #8

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Bombard View Post
Hi I'm looking at getting some protex latches for my seats but I'm worried that if I get the ones with safety catches is that they will jam and become unusable.

Has anyone else had this problem or not is it best to go with the 316 stainless latch or are the normal stainless one good enough.
We have used a large number of different Protex catches over the years and never had one jam - the catchbolts are genius and we used them on outboard cowlings for racing.

I confess that it's my cousins business but I will stand by my recommendation.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2015, 17:09   #9

Town: St Davids
Boat name: Mellifera
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
RIBase
Sorry to revive an old thread but I have been looking to get a Protex toggle latch for my seat as they seem to come highly recommended however Protex charge £10 for postage (more than the latch!) so does anyone know where I source one these at a more reasonable posatge cost?

58-1182SS - Non-Adjustable Latch with Safety Catch Medium Duty Stainless Steel Natural

And one of these

06-655SS - Catch Plate For Toggle Latch Stainless Steel Natural

I have tried ebay and google but not with any success yet