Old 02 May 2017, 20:13   #1

Length: no boat
Searider...auxiliary?

Hi all....I am thinking about purchasing a first Rib. As there are only two of us, and we are after something fairly inexpensive, I think that a Searider 5.4 would suit us quite well. The only thing that puts me off is that there doesn't seem to be much space for an aux motor. Does anyone have any experience of fitting one or knowledge of how this is best done?

Initially we will just use the boat for fishing/short journeys to nearby islands - but living on the west side of the Hebrides, we would definitely want the reassurance of a spare motor.

Sláinte.
Old 02 May 2017, 21:29   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum.

I know the west coast of the Hebrides so completely take your point about a back up engine. You've got your fair share of fishing flotsam, obligatory lobster pots (sometimes poorly marked), unpredictable weather and of course a lack of other vessels in the area for peace of mind.

It's possible to squeeze an auxilliary on the transom of a Searider 5.4, but a lot depends on you main engine lump size, if an A-frame is fitted, etc. A slimline 2-stroke auxilliary should fit.

One piece of advice if you're fitting to the transom is to add a stainless steel eye on the deck to tether the auxilliary while in the raised position. Most of the smaller auxiliaries just aren't built to be on the back if a fast-moving RIB so vibration can be an issue.

My main piece of advice is to run the auxilliary every time you're out and of course prevention is better than cure so main engine should be serviced meticulously, inline fuel filter added and the usual visual checks before heading out.

Earlier thread on the topic here: http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/auxillar...-up-41304.html
Old 07 May 2017, 04:11   #3

Length: no boat
Cheers Spartacus, many thanks for the advice and thoughts - appreciated. Going to keep an eye out and see what is about Searider-wise within striking distance.

Sláinte.
Old 07 May 2017, 11:05   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
'Searider' and 'inexpensive' aren't two words you normally hear in the same sentence. You get what you pay for, so an older Searider will probably need a bit of work.

Anyway, found this.
COMPLETELY REFURBISHED Avon Zodiac Searider 5.4 Rib Inflatable Boat Sea Rider SR | eBay
Old 07 May 2017, 16:56   #5

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
the only place is to fit an aux on a sr is on the a frame transom bracket. will need a fabricator to help you