Old 29 March 2005, 02:13   #1

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Searider 5.4 Lifting Straps?

If I'm going o use the 3 lift points to launch with a single point hoist... What length straps do I need? What capacity? RIB has a 2 stroke 80 hp Merc, 2 x 6.5 US galonl fuel tanks, 1 battery, usual safety kit...

I'm guessing that 3 of these would suffice:

Sling,Web,Light Duty
Light Duty Web Sling, Width 1 Inch, Sling Type Eye and Eye, Vertical Load Capacity 2400 Pounds, Basket Hitch Capacity 4800 Pounds, Choker Hitch Capacity 1900 Pounds, Overall Length 6 Feet, Double Ply, Nylon, Flat Eye
Would those be okay, or do I need a higher load capacity? Longer length? Would attach to boat with shackle of equivilent or greater capacity.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4ZT85.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	11129  
Old 29 March 2005, 07:29   #2

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
I don’t know about Avon, but my boat, which has 4 lift points, has a lift harness that has different length strops, the two to the front are shorter. I think that each shackle is rated at the full weight of the boat, but I’ll check Des
Old 29 March 2005, 08:33   #3

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 80
Other way round Des, The front strap to the bow is about 3-4 times longer than the 2 two to the transome. I made up my own strop with 3mm stainless rigging wire and put 2 clamps and a thimble at each end.

A rough guide as to where the balance point is to look at your axle position. It will be about a foot further back.

Tim'mers.
Old 29 March 2005, 08:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty
Other way round Des, The front strap to the bow is about 3-4 times longer than the 2 two to the transome....
My boat is an inboard so the weight is forward hence the different design Just had look at the lifting strop and as is typical of the MOD it is very OTT. Each webbing strap is 3” wide (3 tonne) and there are 4 of them, better safe than sorry

What is the breaking strain on 3mm wire Des
Old 29 March 2005, 14:38   #5

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
My boat is an inboard so the weight is forward hence the different design Just had look at the lifting strop and as is typical of the MOD it is very OTT. Each webbing strap is 3” wide (3 tonne) and there are 4 of them, better safe than sorry

What is the breaking strain on 3mm wire Des
Oh Ok.
The 3mm is rated for 720Kg. Surprising!!
Old 29 March 2005, 16:38   #6
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I have a four point lifting harness that fit my 6.7 Delta. It was spec'ed to take twin 90s so should easily take a Searider like yours.

You can have them for a small sum if you don't mind collecting them from Blackburn. They don't have a test certificate so its at your own risk. Shackles inc!

PM me for info

Chris
Old 01 April 2005, 04:27   #7

CJL, Thank's for the offer, but a bit difficult to collect, as I don't believe I could carry enough fuel to make it across the Atlantic!

The burning (and as of yet unanswered!) question is, what is the approximate all-up weight of a 5.4m Searider with the hull flooded?? Someone must have sorted this out... Avon says the dry displacement is 5400 lbs (2455 kg), swamped is 3400 lbs (1545 kg). Yet they specify the weight is approximately 717 lbs (350 kg). I figure the outboat ~300 lbs (135 kg), add ~200 lbs (90 kg) for fuel, battery, safety gear, etc.

So, to answer my own question, it's about 5900 lbs or 2680 kg based on the largest displacement number. If so, I want higher capacity straps. Probably on the order of 3500 lbs or better. However this makes NO sense to me, as I regularly lift J/24 and Sonar sailboats with big lead keels which weigh 3000 lbs or less, using a single 5000 lb capacity strap. If based solely on the weight of the boat, motor and equipment then I'm in the neighborhood of 1215 lbs or 575 kg. and the described gear would be fine. This sounds more sensible to me. (Total weight/2 aft straps + 50% margin)

Does anyone know the flooding capacity of a Searider 5.4 in litres or either US or Imperial gallon measure? That is the missing bit of data which would allow me to calculate the full load. I want enough lifting capacity to handle the load of boat, motor, gear and ballast while the hull drains. Plus a 50% or so safety margin. Yet I despise foolishly oversized solutions.
Old 01 April 2005, 07:54   #8

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2000 Tohatsu 50
Hi Dtucker,

I got a 4 point strap for my Searider 4m made by Coordinated Wire and Rope here in Southern California for $100 custom. These guys are the real deal of straps and such. They pretty much do all the rope and rigging for The port of Los Angeles and Long Beach. I'm sure you can find them in one of the online website phone directories like Verizon's Superpages.com (in the city of Long Beach). Your straps will be handmade and certified. You will also get a nice big hook Ring. Mine is an oval of 6 inches the long way and 3 inches the short way. My straps are OVER OVER kill even if the hull is fllooded. The weight capacity per strap is something like 3,000 lbs each and I have 4 straps!!! . You won't have to worry about the strap but rather the hoist that is lifting the sucker. The only part is figuring out the lengths of each of your straps because they stitch this into the big oval hook ring. You then communicate this to them and pay over the phone. They will probably ship no problem to you on the East Coast. What I got for $100 was an overly built professional ANSI certified killer sling. When you think about it, this is cheaper than the cheesey boat slings you can buy from West Marine. After all the other Stainless steel hooks and such I paid in total $130 for a killer 4 point sling.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you decide to go with Coordinated. In my mind they are the only ones to go to for any boat sling you need.

Good Luck

Adam
Old 01 April 2005, 08:04   #9

Town: Fareham
Doesn't the flooding part drain out when you lift her clear of the water? If so you just need to calculate the weight of the Boat package you have. I would factor it to be no more than 750kg to allow for equipement and stuff. The strops you show are rated at 1 tonne each (all together thats 3 Tonnes lifting capacity or 7200lb). They do look short for a single point lift though and you'll need a lifting frame to mount these to.

Where are your lifting points on the RIB.
Old 01 April 2005, 14:36   #10

Yes, The flooding part does drain, but the initial load as you lift will include most of the water ballast. It will drain quickly enough, but still... There are two lifting eyes on the transom and one in the bow (all internal). They're all pretty close to the external ones that most all trailerable powerboats have.

I rigged some ropes to hoist the boat from one trailer to the other prior to the outboard and the rest being installed. The three point lift is perfectly adequate, no need for a frame, just need to get the balance point close enough to right, as previously mentioned.

I think I'll send an email to Avon, they can probably tell me exactly how to set it up.
Old 01 April 2005, 14:52   #11

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
For those who are interested new "Hi Tech" ropes come in super strength for their size - 3mm dynema is stronger than 3mm stainless wire - how flash would you look hoisting your RIB on that?
Old 01 April 2005, 15:02   #12

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
It looks like you're specifying the lifting strops with plenty of strength, but bear in mind that their length, and hence the angle at which they are used, will determine the actual loading on each strop.

In general terms, the shorter the strop, then the greater the angle from the vertical, and the resultant force will be greater.

For a longer strop with the same boat weight, then the smaller the angle to the vertical, and the resultant force will be less (ie closer to the supported weight).

This vector diagram shows that if you rig the strops at 45° then the resultant force is 1.414 times the boat mass supported by each one (ie a four tonne boat, evenly distributed, places a force of 1,414 kgf on each strop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vector Force.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	11167  
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2005, 17:41   #13

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker

Sling,Web,Light Duty
Light Duty Web Sling, Width 1 Inch, Sling Type Eye and Eye, Vertical Load Capacity 2400 Pounds, Basket Hitch Capacity 4800 Pounds, Choker Hitch Capacity 1900 Pounds, Overall Length 6 Feet, Double Ply, Nylon, Flat Eye
The 6 footers that you've outlined here aren't going to be of any use for you're application as they'd never reach a central point for lifting, I would suggest the same load capacity but use 5 or 6 meter ones. 3 Strops are Ideal as when you lift your boat you will find each strop is carrying a roughly equal load. The mention of 4 strops are for peeps that slinge the boat right underneath the "basket hitch method".
Old 02 April 2005, 09:53   #14

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
We use 3 X 5metre strops to lift our race boat - it weighs about 1000kg with full fuel - does anyone have a good supplier of strops at a reasonable price - must have a certificate for racing!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 April 2005, 14:49   #15

The official word from Avon

Here's my correspondence with with Avon, and the official word:

I recently purchased an ex-military Searider 5.4, equipt for 3 point lift. I plan on using a 2 tonne hoist to lift the boat in and out of the water. It is fitted with a 2 stroke 80 hp outboard and can carry 25 gallons of fuel. Can you advise me of the legnth and load capacity required for lifting staps for this boat?

Thank You,

DanTucker

Thanks for your e-mail.

Our first recommendation is that you purchase an Avon sling for your boat. Info on pricing and availability can be obtained from ZNA Inc. in Stevensville. Contact Name Tim Franks, e-mail address: TFrank@zna.zodiac.com

Failing that, if you get a sling fabricated (at your own risk and responsibility) the 3 leg lengths should be as follows:
Forward leg - 109.5 inches.
Stern legs - 84.25 inches.
The sling should be constructed to have a Safe Working Load of 1.5 ton. and a Proof load of 3.0 ton
Old 05 April 2005, 21:13   #16

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
should we put that reply in our reference sekshun!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2005, 12:19   #17

Town: adelaide
Length: no boat
The searider 5.4 water ballast holds about 167 litres
regards
richard
Old 15 April 2005, 14:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard m
The searider 5.4 water ballast holds about 167 litres
regards
richard
Thank you!

Forgive my fogginess on metric measure, but 1 litre = 1 kg, correct?

I pulled out a copy of Chapman's last night and reminded myself how to do an eye splice. I'm just going to by some 5/8" 3 strand nylon line with a break stregnth of 10,000+ lbs and splice up my own lines. Cost will be a whopping $20 USD.
Old 15 April 2005, 14:33   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker
Thank you!

Forgive my fogginess on metric measure, but 1 litre = 1 kg, correct?
More or less, Des
Old 16 April 2005, 13:21   #20

Town: adelaide
Length: no boat
Yes you are correct 1litre =1 kg of fresh water.
I used to have a 5.4m searider ,one day while the boat was on the trailer,jacked up at the front. I pluged up the transom ballast hole and filled the ballast from the front hole and measured the water I put in.
I should never had sold my searider it was a great boat!
regards
richard m