Old 18 April 2010, 18:17   #1

Town: Gourock
Boat name: 5.8 Open Adventure
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
Seam repair

Hello,

Im looking for some advice on repairing our tubes. The seam has come away at the cone section of the tubes as you can see from the pictures.

We are going to attempt to glue it back together ourselves to try and save some money. The plan is to glue the seam together then glue a patch over the seam area and glue a similar patch on the other tube.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

The rib is around 15 years old and this is the first time the seams have leaked I was wondering if this will be common occurence now due to its age. Are we only delaying the inevitable that it will need re-tubed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03042010399[1].jpg
Views:	373
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	50442   Click image for larger version

Name:	03042010400[1].jpg
Views:	281
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	50443   Click image for larger version

Name:	03042010401[1].jpg
Views:	306
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	50444  
Old 18 April 2010, 21:45   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
You are into a world of pain, get an expert to do it, it is a black art that us mere mortals cannot master!

Do a search on here for my tube problems a couple of years ago to see why...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2010, 06:51   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
You are into a world of pain, get an expert to do it, it is a black art that us mere mortals cannot master!

Do a search on here for my tube problems a couple of years ago to see why...
I think I agree. I patch is relatively easy, a seam repair is a bit trickier. Also, seam failure at sea is rather catastrophic.
Old 19 April 2010, 11:31   #4

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Engine: yamaha 80
I would get an expert to do it, whilst in theory its easy, (or at least the physics are) in practice its a nightmare. It would be easer if you had as many arms as Ganesh,
I have stuck quite a few patches on the searider, some quite big uns sucessfully, the process of which left me wondering, how the hell do you do a seam repair without glueing yourself to the boat??
Old 19 April 2010, 11:44   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I can fix that and I'm no expert! so I think you could do it yourself. the key to a good job is preparation get it properly abraded.

That is quite a big parting of the seam did you open it up a bit or did this happen at sea in one go. If so where you hammering it and were the rear tubes well in the water.

also is there any delamination or polymerisation of the Hypalon (the breakdown of the material) it doen't look like from the photos.

if you want to fix it I'll send you some instructions later I haven't got the patience to type them right now

Also what is that Shite on the tubes
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2010, 12:16   #6

Town: Gourock
Boat name: 5.8 Open Adventure
Make: Avon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
I can fix that and I'm no expert! so I think you could do it yourself. the key to a good job is preparation get it properly abraded.

That is quite a big parting of the seam did you open it up a bit or did this happen at sea in one go. If so where you hammering it and were the rear tubes well in the water.

also is there any delamination or polymerisation of the Hypalon (the breakdown of the material) it doen't look like from the photos.

if you want to fix it I'll send you some instructions later I haven't got the patience to type them right now

Also what is that Shite on the tubes
Hello,

I dont think there is any breakdown in the material it still looks decent considering its age.

The parting was only slight but by the time we got back to base it had opened up more.

Our diving club is pretty strapped for cash by the time we pay our marina fees so if we can save some money by carrying out a succesful repair ourselves then it is worth a go in my books.

I dont know what the shite on the tubes it has been there for the past couple of years Iv been a member. I think the rib used to sit in the water full time during the summer months.

If you could send me the instructions it would be apprciated.

Cheers!
Old 20 April 2010, 00:42   #7

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
the process of which left me wondering, how the hell do you do a seam repair without glueing yourself to the boat??
Erm - from my experience, you don't

I ended up glued to the boat AND with an un-repaired seam.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2010, 07:27   #8

Town: West Coast
Make: Various
Length: 6m +
PM Sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryza00 View Post
Hello,

Im looking for some advice on repairing our tubes. The seam has come away at the cone section of the tubes as you can see from the pictures.

We are going to attempt to glue it back together ourselves to try and save some money. The plan is to glue the seam together then glue a patch over the seam area and glue a similar patch on the other tube.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

The rib is around 15 years old and this is the first time the seams have leaked I was wondering if this will be common occurence now due to its age. Are we only delaying the inevitable that it will need re-tubed?